SPAM SPAM SPAM

Posted by: DAVOhorn on 24 November 2003

Dear All,

i hope somebody can give me advice on how to stop SPAM.

180 spam e mails today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not frequent sites of a dubious nature nor do i purchase life enhancing drugs or patches etc etc.

I access my emails via mail2web.com but this is no longer of use.

I use freeserve as my provider .

So any good ideas to stop SPAM?

thanks

David
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by Mike Hanson
I use Mailwasher Pro (www.firetrust.com). It scans the list of headers from your POP3 account, and lets you mark which ones to delete. It maintains a Friends list and a blacklist, and also supports complex filters for intuiting whether a particular e-mail is really spam. It can also use recognized blacklists from various other organizations, like SpamCop.

I routinely get 300+ spam messages daily, and this makes handling them a snap.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 24 November 2003 by Toksik
David i will second Mike's recommendation of MAILWASHER, it's very good at what it does and it let's you see how much CRUD is lying there 'fore you open Outlook or whatever mail prog you use.
in conjucntion i use ZONEALARM to stop any annoying popups which google's toolbar misses.

dennis
Posted on: 25 November 2003 by kevinl
I can strongly recommend spampal. It works as a POP3 or IMAP proxy. It's not hard to set up, and it seems to have a 95% hit rate on my spams (>100 per day) with NO false positives in the past month.

Best of all, it's free.

www.spampal.org

I used to use SAProxy, software based on SpamAssassin, but Bloomba have made it into "paid for" software, so I don't use or recommend it anymore.

If you need any assistance with spampal configuration, I should be able to help.
Posted on: 25 November 2003 by DAVOhorn
Dear All,

Thanks for your help,

I will give your ideas a go.

regards David
Posted on: 25 November 2003 by J.N.
"Bloody Vikings"
Posted on: 26 November 2003 by Mike Hanson
quote:
Originally posted by J. A. Toon:
quote:
I routinely get 300+ spam messages daily

Cripes! And I thought I had it bad the other day when I checked my mail in the morning and discovered that of my 18 new messages, all 18 were spam...

The Blaster worm appeared around the middle of September. Three days after the barrage started, I went on vacation and didn't pick up my e-mail for three days. I had almost 2000 messages waiting, of which at least 1900 were spam. It took almost two-hours on a dial-up connection, just to download the list and delete the spam! Thank god I had Mail Washer, or I would have spent three days downloading those messages.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 29 November 2003 by blythe
I reached the point with so much SPAM that it was depressing me and everytime I checked email, my heart sank.
I tried McAfee Spam Killer but for every filter set up, the Spmammers simply change the spelling or use another address, so I have found filters to be of limited use.
In the end, I contacted my ISP to ask about changing my email adress, they seemed genuinely interested in getting rid of all SPAM and asked me to forward all SPAM messages to their abuse department where action will be taken.
Globalnet really were very interested (or at least appeard to be) and asked me to see the improvement over the next month, whlst they take action against the spammers responsible for my SPAM deluge.
In less than 24 hours, I have received over 120 SPAM messages - if I go away for the weekend as you can see, it can be a problem!
I find that I regularly delete valid emails by mistake due to the sheer quantity of rubbish.
Hopefully, Globalnet will be able to do something about the ammount of SPAM......... Fingers crossed!

Computers are supposed to work on 1's and 0's - in other words "Yes" or "No" - why does mine frequently say "Maybe"?......