Right tell me what you think !!!!!!

Posted by: Neill Ferguson on 04 August 2005

Help Please

My life has come to a cross roads and so has my home cinema. A bold statement I know but true, I have split up with the woman after nine long years and sold the place we live in. So I am know looking for a new home and home cinema.

For as long as I can remember I have been chasing the next upgrade and spent so much on a home cinema its scary. I would like for once to have a settled system and just wait on a new version of the model I have to come out.

I just got the Av2 updated graded and have noticed a marked improvment in the sound. I have just added a panasonic 37" HD plasma.

So the current system is a Meridian g98 DVD player and a Bryston 5 channel amp and snell front and centre with Linn rears.

The new and final finished system would be DVD5, AV2, Nap 250 , Nap 175 (three channel Model can anyone say if an x version is on way) Panasonic plasma, speakers would be B&w 805s with matching centre and in wall ceiling rears depends on new home and the pv1 subwoofer and ball shaped one.

I don't know if this would be better, than current set up but do feel it would be better balanced. anyone got any thoughts on how this would work sound together??????

Neill
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Bas V
quote:
Originally posted by Neill Ferguson:
I have split up with the woman after nine long years and sold the place we live in. [...]For as long as I can remember I have been chasing the next upgrade and spent so much on a home cinema its scary.

I don't know, but just maybe one has got to do with another?

That said, your suggested system sounds great. Only minor thing: I don't like B&W speakers.

Regards & good luck!
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Frank Abela
Neill

Sad to hear about the deparation. Condolences.

The idea of using the same brand for all the speakers is sound. Whether you choose B&W, Naim, Totem or whatever depends a great deal on your preference. If the system's primary function is to reproduce music then find the speakers you prefer for stereo and build the rest of the system around them, preferably from the same brand.

The exception is the sub. A dedicated sub manufacturer is likely to give you a better result. The three brands that come to mind in this regard are M&K, Velodyne and REL. REL is the most well known brand and the new ST range are bang up to the minute in terms of features and flexibility. M&K make excellent subs, all of which bar the entry level model hit 20hz flat, guaranteeing you a full frequency range experience (scary). Velodyne also make excellent subs and the DD range includes room equalisation software which is very effective indeed.

That said, there are some solutions, such as Naim's nSat/nSub, which benefit from better integration due to similar design principles. So don't discard them out of hand. My exception to that statement is the B&W scenario. I don't get on with B&W's subs for some reason.
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Guido Fawkes
I'd definitely audition speakers other than B&W. nSATs are great - I use them for 2 channel. The rest of your choice sounds like the AV system I'd like to have one day - still dream on and back to the Linn Clasik Movie (well it's not too bad).

Rotf
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by neil w
hi neil

please e-mail me on neil.g.w@btinternet.com

regards neil
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Neil W

I have e-mailed you.

Ok all dam confusing time dealer has told me to keep the bryston and build the system around that as it will out perform the Naim combo for outright muscle on home cinema sound tracks.

They have also told me to wait and look at the New Jm Lab Electra range thats due to hit these shores soon as they reckon they will be a better set up than the B&W speakers any one any more fed back ideas want a settled system for once

Neill
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by PatG
Hi Neill

IMHO, the missing item in your system is aprojecor.

42" plasma is the weak link.

Consider retainig the plasma but have a 6 or 7 ft screen ceiling mounted that drops down over the plasma for cinematic evening viewing and install a decent (£3k+) projector.

This, IMHO, will improve your experience 1000%

Regards P
Posted on: 07 August 2005 by Johns Naim
Neill

Sorry to hear about the relationship demise; there's always a price to pay and not necessarily just financially, so hope you're 'doing' ok on the emotional front etc.

Re the system.

I'll stick my neck out and say whether you go Naim, or perhaps Bryston etc would depend upon your priorities as to whether it is to be one system geared towards music with movies as a secondary use, or the other way around.

If music first was the priority, I would favour the Naim electronics. However if HT/movies were the priority, I'd favour the Bryston, or other equivalent amps of that calibre.

The reason I would favour the Bryston for movies, would be 1): power & dynamics (if you're at all trying to 'fill' a largish room, OR play at true dolby reference levels, the av175 in particular will run out of grunt quite quickly on movies - not nice once you've heard it - so that means more 250.2's/145's etc and hence more $$$)

2): Air and space, not an 'essential' for most Naimess entering the AV/HT world, as most are used to the Naim sound for music, IS IMHO an very important part of the HT experience, and IMHO what matters, or does not matter so much for music reproduction, is a very different kettle of fish for movies - here air and space, or rather the ability to conjure up a 3d, rather than 2d soundfield is a pivotal element of HT reproduction in the home if you want that 'being there' conviction, as against just having outstanding quality of basic HT sound.

For the same reasons, I'd favour the B&W's over Naims speakers, for HT use. Not necessarily for music, but definitely for HT. Again it comes down to what your priorities are for the system IMHO. Music - I'd go Naim, most especially if you favour the Naim electronics route. But for HT - B&W, OR other speaker to choice, but one which can give you the sort of open 3d soundstage, and in a surround setup with matched units all round, that immersive 360 soundfield.

It's not that Naim speakers are bad, far from it, HOWEVER, IMHO the back to the wall placement of most of naims designs might give superb results for music, but limits then in terms of the 3d soundstage which is so important to HT IMV.

Hope this helps, and of course YMMV

Best Regards

John.. Cool