Foo Foo and the Boy

Posted by: woodface on 06 March 2001

My local dealer lent me this along with a couple of other naim CD's. I honestly thought I would hate it but it is actually pretty good. Kind of folky, whimsy, bluesy (in other words the sort of music I usually dislike)but well worth a listen. I also bought the 'Espiritu' release, a bit patchy as the slow numbers work much better than the quicker ones, but generally the good outweighs the bad. The other CD I borrowed was by Ted Sirrota's (probably the wrong spelling so apologies and I cannot actually remember her name!) other half and to be honest I will not be keeping it. She has a great voice but she is far too showy, the lyrics are at times laughably poor and the backing is somewhat bizzare. Weired synth solos anyone?
Posted on: 06 March 2001 by Anna Tooth
The disc in our catalogue by Ted Sirota's other half is Soul Searching by Janvier Jones, Naim CD045.

Anna

Posted on: 06 March 2001 by woodface
Thats the one! To be honest I agree that it is a bit Starsky and Hutch, and as a result a bit contrived! It does not seem to go with the rest of the album and is just plain irritating. I also found that the vocals were a bit too set back in the mix for my liking.
Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Timbo
Now I've has time to listen to it a few times, I really like it. Very light and easy to listen to, puts me in a good mood.

Can't say I like the Janvier Jones CD though, perhaps it'll grow on me.

The other one purchased recently is Kai Eckhart, Honor simplicity, respect the flow - not too bad but gets a bit samey.

Also managed to get hold of Instead of the Saints by Thea Gilmore, this is very good, very raw and has a certain Mark Tucker in the musical credits, could this be the same man who used to work for Naim??

Tim

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by David Dever
quote:
I also found that the vocals were a bit too set back in the mix for my liking.

...no compression, both vocalists either side of a microphone set with a figure-8 polar pattern, hence none of the hash you'd normally get when you hit the notes hard. The vocal(s) generally don't seem so recessed if you've got your system sorted--hence, great test disc.

David Dever, NANA

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by woodface
Interesting point regarding the Janvier Jones CD. I feel pretty confident on the set up of my system and when I listened to it the vocals came to the fore as volume increased. Ultimately it is still a pretty poor CD though, regardless of set up!
Posted on: 14 March 2001 by Timbo
Don't get out much.

In answer to your Q. It is a special CD EP with 4 tracks available from Amazon.com, just search for Thea Gilmore. I think it is just a few tracks from her Burning Dorothy album, cost about £4.99.

Tim

Posted on: 16 March 2001 by Timbo
Looks like being a crap weekend weather wise, so I'm off to buy a load of music this weekend, yippee!!

Tim