Anyone using Rotel av kit...???

Posted by: arf005 on 20 July 2005

All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my current av kit - Rotel RDV-995 and RSX-972 receiver.
I'd like to stick with Rotel as I like their sound and they work well with my b&w's.....
Kit I have in mind is - RDV-1050 or 1060 dvd spinner, and RSX-1056 or 1067 receiver.
Wonder if any of you guys have any of the above and would care to comment....??

I'm doing a demo this time home, CD5x through 202/200 as the last time I listened to 112x/150x, and I'll be giving the Rotel kit a listen too.....I'm in Montrose for a weeks course - good excuse to visit kind Mr Ritchie every day!! Woo Hooo.....

So, the likely hood is we can afford an av upgrade before a complete Naim system....

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 20 July 2005 by Johns Naim
I don't have any Rotel kit, but have heard it, and with the right speakers it would more than give a satisfying and musically rewarding result.

In fact, Rotel is quite popular here in Australia, amongst those of serious HiFi/HT intent. Even my Naim dealer stocks it... heheh

I for one would be most interested to hear of your thoughts re the Rotel v's naim sound.

There are possibly a few too many Naim zealots on this forum who probably look sideways at anything that doesn't have a Naim badge on it, however there are also a number of people here, like myself, who whilst Naim fans, are also interested in HiFi kit generally, and especially as to how well Naim kit holds up against the competition.

So please let us know how you get on with the sound...

Best Regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Matt F
I’d also suggest trying out a Rotel AV processor couple with one of their THX multi channel power amps. It would be interesting to compare this against one of their AV receivers i.e. is it worth the extra outlay to keep the power amp and processing separate.

I used to use one of their multi channel amps and it was superb for the money – this was initially paired with a Rotel processor but when I upgraded to a Tag processor I kept the Rotel power amp (RB985MKII) which continued to deliver the goods and was not outclassed.

Matt.
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by John G.
quote:
Originally posted by arf005:
All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my current av kit - Rotel RDV-995 and RSX-972 receiver.
I'd like to stick with Rotel as I like their sound and they work well with my b&w's.....
Kit I have in mind is - RDV-1050 or 1060 dvd spinner, and RSX-1056 or 1067 receiver.
Wonder if any of you guys have any of the above and would care to comment....??
Cheers,
Ali

I've been using a RDV-1080 and RSX-1055 for 3 years now and I'm quite happy with the combo. Do a search of my name and Rotel in the Home Theatre section for more info.
Posted on: 22 July 2005 by ians
Ali
Have you thought about using an RSP-1068, coupled with a RMB-1075? I have used this for a year or so, and am still happy with it.
I would have have told you this, but you were late down last night, and shot off early this morning.
PS: Try and get the HVAC sorted out tonight!!!

Cheers Ian.
Posted on: 22 July 2005 by arf005
Thanks guys for the input. I'll now do me best to reply to you all.....

John - I do really love the Rotel sound already...
I inherited a pair of B&W DM110's and a Rotel amp when my Uncle lost his battle against cancer many years ago, and I was hooked. They were my obvious choice when I upgraded from a Sherwood receiver (my first cheap tentative step into av) I also put my b&w 601S2's at the back and bought the CM's for up front (donating the DM's to my bro). I've used Rotel and B&W for stereo and surround sounds, and find them well matched. Movie soundtracks, concerts, and music at the louder end of the dial especially....typical of b&w's.....
With regard to Rotel vs Naim, I couldn't really comment as I don't own any Naim.....yet!
Hence the up-coming demo....I'm getting moist already.....
I did use the Rotel dvd/receiver for stereo duty in my old flat, where they had loads of room to breath, and I was impressed....but the CD5X, 112X/150X into b&w N805's that I demo'd the last time I was at Mr Ritchie's blew me away!!
The demo this time will be to see if the 202/200 is worth the extra expense, and listen to the new 805S's.....like I said...moist.....
I'm getting distracted here...but will definitely let you know how I get on....

Matt - Cheers, I hear your suggestion, but for our room size, and budget, I haven't considered going the separate route.... I know they are solid, from what I've heard, but I believe that too of the receiver's - you just need to try and pick one up!!

John - Ah, just figured who you are (so to speak) I remembered your pics on the av system pics thread from ages ago.... Hi, just been checking reviews on the RSX-1055 and it seems the likely candidate for our budget. Although, I was hoping to move 'up' from our RSX-972's 5.1 to 6.1 and use my 'spare' centre speaker at the rear.... To explain - when I had the 601S2's up front I bought a CC6 S2 at the same time, it now sits in it's box waiting....hope you can follow all this....
From what I could make out, the 1055 is still a 5 channel amp, but you can add a power amp to make it 7.1...
If this is the case, I'd probably still go for it but just stick with 5.1, I really can't justify the cost of another amp, or the RSX-1067, just to add another speaker that I already have...
What configuration do you use on your RSX-1055.....???

Ian - Happy first post!!
You should have slept better tonight as the HVAC was fixed by the dayshift...
I was going to ask you which Rotel model you had....but I'd have to say the same to you as I did Matt - budget and room size can't really justify the extra cost of separates....

To explain to you all.....
Here's The Den, our only upstairs bedroom in our extended bungalow, recently converted into our dedicated cinema room, although there's a futon for guests if required....

Oh, and that bit in the middle used to be a wardrobe....although some of you may have heard me go on about this already....sorry....just proud of me efforts.....here's how it looked before we bought the house.....

Like I said - not much room left, no need for separates, and possibly not even a rear channel (although I've already got the speaker....) We would like to add a projector though at some point (InFocus 4805's on the list) and probably a fixed screen due to the combed ceiling. The tv will go downstairs into the lounge once that's decorated.....

Oh, talking of which, here's the lounge and where the Naim set up, whatever it may be, will sit......watch this space....

The lounge is the next room to be decorated once we're finished through the back sitting room (which we're doing up at present) and is where that wee Denon and blue funky monkeys are going.....what, oh, these things...

Aye, bought them on our honeymoon in New Zealand would you believe!!!
They sound pretty fantastic, and look cool too....
And, again, some of you may have seen them on here already.....

Anyhoo, I've been told no Naim until the room's decorated, which is fair enough...I suppose....
Oh, and the rooms to be decorated before Christmas - seeing as I offered to feed both sets of families this year for Chrimbo meal......dohh...it's going to be a busy year.......

Hope you've followed all my ramblings......
I'll be doing the Naim and Rotel demo, albeit for different set ups, week on monday.

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 08 August 2005 by arf005
Morning all,

had a great afternoon on friday last week - did the whole demo thing, and bought a couple of boxes too.....

I should be getting on with the decorating just now so I'll let you know more about the demo later (I took a pen and pad) but let me just say - it was fun!!!
And, also nice to see it's actually worth spending the cash to move up the 'ladder', oh, and power supplies work!! - not that I doubted it.....

So, the boxes.....
Well, after bit of haggling, and frantic txt messages with my gorgeous other half - we've bought Robbie's ex-demo Rotel boxes.....namely the RDV-1060 dvd spinner and RSX-1067 av receiver.
Yup, the big beast of a receiver and one I had only dreamed of owning!!

I is very lucky, for lots of reasons....

Anyhoo, I hooked up the dvd spinner over the weekend, into our existing av receiver (RSX-972) and watched 'Hostage' last night. Which is a great movie btw, but I was also impressed with the picture and sound. I said I should be getting on with the decorating......but I'd also like to put the beast in its place.

I'll let you know how I get on.....

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 09 August 2005 by arf005
Ok, so The Den rack has gone from looking like this....

To this......

Like I said....very lucky indeed......

Sounds good too!!

I'm on night shift this trip (I go back week today) so I'll tell you all about the demo then....

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by gusi
Hey Ali & John I had a lot of Rotel gear 10 years ago, can't remember the exact models but I had a couple of integrated amps, cd players and a cassette deck. They sounded pretty good but were not quite in the Naim league. But then neither were their price tags. If I couldn't afford Naim I'd be happy with a Rotel too.

Btw Our Perth Naim dealer also stocks Rotel.

cheers
Gus
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by JonR
quote:
Originally posted by arf005:
Sounds good too!!

I'm on night shift this trip (I go back week today) so I'll tell you all about the demo then....

Looking forward to it, Ali.

The Rotel kit looks fabulous - I'd be interested to know whether it sounds as good as it looks! Smile

Cheers,

Jon
Posted on: 17 August 2005 by arf005
Morning all,

so here I am again - stuck out here in the middle of nowhere, on this rust bucket of a metal prison for the next two weeks.....ho hum, at least I had a good leave!!

I've actually posted about my demo already (when I should have been doing the decorating) on Jezzer's thread regarding 112X/150X/FC2 or 202/200 but hey, it'll be nice to relive the memory!

I'd spent all week travelling back and forth to Montrose, while on a 'fire team member' course (fighting fires and wearing BA equipment, funnily enough, and part of me duties out here, although hopefully we don't use them for real!!) I'd been popping into Rob Ritchie's at lunchtime to check we were still on for the demo on Friday afternoon (last day of the course and a half day) plus we chatted about the Rotel kit he had on demo and was looking to shift....

Friday couldn't come quick enough.....and not just because I was on a 5 day course in my precious leave....

But, after four days of blasting back and forth on the back-roads in the hire car, it was finally Friday!!

We finished the final exercises in the morning, and the worst I had was being in BA under a full chemical suit, which was great because it meant I didn't get dirty! Just a little hot.... Grabbed a quick bite to eat then headed into town....

Rob greeted me with usual smiles and offered coffee, we went upstairs and I got me note pad out....

Demo started with what I'd heard before to re-familiarise myself....
CD5X/112X/150X into B&W 805S's.
Thoughts - still loved the sound, vocals especially, although some highs where possibly a little strained or harsh....still surprised at the bass though from the 805S's, and lovely acoustic guitar.

Next up CD5X/202/150X into 805S's.
A warmer mid/treble and more bass....even nicer guitar and less strain on the vocals.....that's what my notes say anyway....
...they also went something like - wow! wow! Bass tight and FUNKY, and a familiar track was a lot better than last demo of 112x/150x. Trumpet not harsh or sharp, lovely warm sax and loads of presence....

Then CD5X/202/200 into 805S's.
Notes said - tighter presentation with same bass impact and mid presence, maybe more on the mid presence. Found more in the recording than ever heard before, like it!! Grander presentation. Sax - WOW! Clearer, Faster, Fantastic! PRAT.....

Then FC2X powering CD5X/202/200 into 805S's.
Noticed deeper warmer double bass... Sax had same WOW but not so Harsh (was it even harsh before??!!??) Softer warmer presentation with same PRAT. Went back to another track I'd listened to earlier (CD5X/202/150X) and WHAT a difference! More vocals, not harsh or shrill, there's more bass - faster lower. Mid/vocal has echo effect - not heard before! There's sinths in there I've not heard before, and punchier bass....big smiles on my face!

Then FC2X powering CD5X and 202, with 200 into 805S's.
THIS IS THE ONE.
WOW, PRAT, WHOLE PRESENTATION - Fucking wow!! LOVED IT. Like everything that went before but MORE!
Totally blown away!!
This set up had me laughing out loud on various tracks, thankfully the tunes were loud enough so nobody heard me....I think....

The tunes where a small selection from the collection.... Nora Jones - Come Away with Me, Faithless - Outrospective, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Massive Attack - Mezzanine, and Jeff Wayne's - The War of the Worlds.....

I did manage some self restraint and did manage to listen within budget (just) - ie. I deliberately didn't listen to the CDX2, and only added the FlatCap2X not HiCap power supply.

Bottom line - I was happy to hear that spending the money was WORTH it!! Power supplies DO WORK. And moving up the proverbial ladder really does bring a step change....honest....but I guess you don't need me to tell you that!!

So the decisions we have to make.....
Well to start with it's OUR cash we'll be parting with, and, I'm looking to purchase a complete system....
First off - I cannot justify spending £2,700 on a cd spinner to my gorgeous other half, or even myself when I think long and hard about it.....as much as I'd like to!
Also, to sacrifice so much of our budget on a source just doesn't make sense.....
Secondly - neither does buying Fraim! Had budgeted for this and was going to go for the 112X/150X combo, again this doesn't make sense.....

I have listened to CD5i/5X/X2 and even S3, played through the 112X/150X into the old Nautilus 805's and I was impressed by the changes and characters of each player.....but the difference between 5i and X2 was NO WAY as significant as the difference the 202/200/FC2X made to ANYTHING that I played on the CD5X at my latest demo!

So the system we are now contemplating has gone from - CD5X or CDX2, 112X/150X, Fraim and Nautilus 805's....

To - CD5X/202/200/FC2X and b&w 805S's....plus some sort of support, but that's another story....

Just got to keep saving....although buying those Rotel boxes at my last demo didn't help!!

Oh well, dedicated rcbo and 10mm spur is ready and waiting.....

Cheers,
Ali
Ps. JonR,
- Thanks Jon! I still walk up the stairs into The Den and can't believe what I see....
I never thought we'd be able to afford the RSX-1067 let alone a dvd player too!!
The combo works exceeding well. Much better than my previous models, which were nae bad either! Picture is great from the player, there's no pause or jitter (although it was more like a jit than a jitter) when dvd's change layers - which was noticeable on my old player, although only worse on certain discs, all dual layer...?? DVD audio is cool too. And I was having fun playing my music dvd discs again.....instead of doing the decorating.....

As far as the receiver goes, what can I say......yeah, it sounds as good as it looks!
Bags of power, and more control over my B&W's, they don't sound as harsh or shrill (treble) on certain tracks (movie or music) which is a bonus....oh, and I've decided to remove my foam bungs from the rear flow ports, after I popped one out when doing a bit of 'heavy' listening.....ie. U2 concert up LOUD.....
The set up has been rather painless too, thanks to Rotel's On Screen Display, and the fact I'm familiar with it from my last model.
And, we've gained another learning remote - bonus!! Until I sell my old model that is, if I ever do, as it might see duty elsewhere in the house.

So, looks like we'll be going for a 6.1 set up after all, will just need to build a shelf strong enough to take the speaker and we're laughing....although I'd better finish the decorating through the back of the house first.....just the wood flooring to go......woo hoo....

Cheers,
Ali.
Just in case anyone is interested......

Rotel RSX-972 5x75W Channel AV receiver.

Here's a review....
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Ampl...tel/RotelRSX-972.php

I didn't pay £500 for it, I paid more, but then I think I bought in 2000, a year before the review. It sounds great, and I might keep it, but not sure if anyone would be interested so just testing the water....

Cheers,
Ali
Ps.

Here's a naked one for all you perverts out there......

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 17 August 2005 by JonR
You perv, Ali Big Grin Razz

Seriously though (!!) thanks for the review of your new Rotel kit, it looks like you're pretty pleased with it!

I'm interested because my brother-in-law wants to get his first "proper" hifi system for his living room and was interested in a surround system. I'd love to have him build it round one of those new Rotel AV amps but his budget's only £1k so not possible Frown

Having said that I'm starting to have designs on one meself....Eek Smile

Cheers,

Jon
Posted on: 18 August 2005 by arf005
Jon - heh heh....I know..... Big Grin

Your welcome - regarding the review, I am VERY pleased with it, and am very lucky indeed, to have such an understanding (and gorgeous) other half is quite something!

With regards to your bro, what does the £1k budget cover, ie. amp and source, or the whole lot - amp source speakers tv etc etc....???
When I was gladly taking home the Rotel boxes from the Ritchie's he mentioned the main reason he was looking to shift them in the first place....Rotel are coming out with some new models in the next few months....
But, are changing their target market.
One will be a direct replacement for the RSX-1067, costing roughly the same (£1800 or so brand new) and the other model will be directed at the other end of the scale, although I'm not sure about that ones cost....but it's likely to have the same features of the RSX-1055, the model I was originally considering....

Could be worth him waiting a while if he can to see what comes of it.....

Santa could come in handy...???

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 18 August 2005 by JonR
Ali,

The £1k budget is for a CD/DVD, amp, DAB tuna and speakers, the works basically. Having said that, he's got a Sky+ box already, so that's the tuna aspect taken care of. What does the Rotel DVD cost?

When you say they're bringing out new products, including for the budget end of the markrt, I wondering if they are thinking of Denon, who've got an AV amp out at the moment which costs £250 - now in hifi terms that's peanuts!

A system that you're pleased with and a gorgeous other half - you are indeed a very lucky man!

Cool

Cheers,

Jon
Jon,

your right, I am very lucky indeed! Cheers. AND we haven't even bought our Naim yet.... Eek
It's quite funny how life works out sometimes.....

The Rotel RDV-1050 dvd spinner used to be £500 or so, RDV-1060 was about £700, but I couldn't quote you for the new models, sorry....
When I think about it we really did get a bargin!!
RDV-1060 (£700) & RSX-1067 (£1800) for £1650..... Big Grin

By the sounds of your bro's budget he'd be better going for a Denon dvd/amp combo which will give him more options for his cash.... Maybe won't sound as nice as the Rotel gear, imho, but there are many on this forum who use their kit and are happy with it.

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 18 August 2005 by JonR
Ali,

Thanks, yeah you're probably right, the Denon's a more realistic option. In any case I'm planning to take him to a suitable emporium soon when we can say to the dealer:- here's a grand, mate, what you can you put together for us? Big Grin

Cracking bargain on the Rotels, btw!

Cheers,

Jon
Posted on: 18 August 2005 by John G.
Ali,

Thanks for the inside picture. Got me curious about the inside of a RSX-1055 and found this picture. Looks similar to the RSX-1067.

Looks like they have two transformers, I wonder how they are utilised?

Enjoy the new Rotel items, they're quite nice!

John
Hi John,

sorry but your picture hasn't come out......

I didn't have the bottle to remove the cover on our RSX-1067, I just wanted to get it installed so I could hear it! plus - I should have been getting on with the decorating....

From what I could see through the cover it looked to have one HUGE Tx (transformer) in the centre and cooling fans (3 or 4, can't quite remember) up front.....it also weighed a TON.

Look forward to seeing your pic though, and it's funny you should mention this as I've just been doing a google search to try and find an internal pic of the 1067.....with no joy.....

Yeah yeah I know - I'm a prev! But hey, at least I admit it..... Big Grin

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 18 August 2005 by John G.
quote:
Originally posted by arf005

sorry but your picture hasn't come out......

That's funny I can see it OK. Here's a direct link: RSX-1055

This link show the inside of a RSX-1065 which looks a bit different. RSX-1065
Hello John,

Sorry, it's my mistake.....just clicked on your direct link and got this message.....

"You don't have permission to access /dvd/rotel/rsx-1055/inside.jpg on this server."

Bloody big brother work server......pants!

I'll have to wait until I get home...... Unless you stick it on imageshack or something.....

Sorry about that.

Still haven't been able to find a naked one of the RSX-1067 yet.....

Cheers,
Ali