"Amandla" - Miles Davis

Posted by: John G. on 03 April 2001

Everyone should try this album, it came out in 1989 and was the last studio album made with his group. It shows how Miles continued to move forward with his music and showcases the excellent musicians that Miles always seemed to attract who were always hip to what was going on in the music scene.

I'd be interested in anyone who has this album that can tell me who in Jazz took over for Miles after his passing? I'd' like to check out more Kenny Garrett and Marcus Miller. Is any of there post 1989 material available on vinyl?

This album is very well recorded and "Big Time", as Miles would say is a Motherf***** of a cut. If this album does not sound good on your system, something is very wrong.

Check it out I'd be very surprised if anyone would not like this album. Here's a link to AMG for more info:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=A58q2g4jbtv4z

Cheers,
John

[This message was edited by John Gilleran on TUESDAY 03 April 2001 at 15:40.]

Posted on: 03 April 2001 by Peter Stockwell
I have Amandla, the soundtrack to siesta and doobop. These albums are from roughly the same period, the late 80's. I had been told that Amandla was great, that's why I bought it, but it didn't impress me.

I'll have to revisit, and see if my perception of it has changed. I think of the three I mentioned siesta is my favorite, with a special mention for the 'rap' cuts on doobop.

Peter

Posted on: 03 April 2001 by Peter Litwack
I agree that "Amandla" is great. My favorite cut is "Mr. Pastorius". I also have "Live Around the World" (on semi-permanent loan from Stewart Cooper-Stewart, let me know when you want it back), which is from the same time period. Miles' cover of Cindy Lauper's "Time After Time" is heartbreakingly beautiful. "Siesta" is absolutely one of my all-time favorite soundtrack albums. Track 6 is a great test cut. "Tutu", however, is my benchmark for late Miles. Totally dangerous from beginning to end. Highly recommended!

[This message was edited by Peter Litwack on WEDNESDAY 04 April 2001 at 04:18.]

Posted on: 03 April 2001 by fred simon
I think Amandla is Miles' best post-hiatus work, and prefer it to Tutu, which I like but could do without the Lauper and Jackson tunes (I prefer their original versions). I also love the live album We Want Miles.

quote:
who in Jazz took over for Miles after his passing?

No one, and no one ever could.

Posted on: 08 April 2001 by Peter Stockwell
This must be a grower because I found it more interesting when I listened to it yesterday than before, but still didn't get all the way through it. The recorded quqlity is excellent, though.

Peter

Posted on: 08 April 2001 by Cheese
Excellent sound indeed, and a good test for PRaT. You can actually hear that Miles' various bands - at least the ones of the end of his life - were just the most energetic combos, and they knew what it meant to play TOGETHER.

Well, if that wasn't the case, I doubt that Miles (who wasn't really famous for his good heart) would have kept the musicians who didn't follow.

His "Live Around The World" is, IMO, an absolute must-have, and listen to track 8 (Tutu). The intro just blows your head off.

"Decoy" is good also - bass player Darryl Jones is a hundred times overqualified tu just play with the stones.

Enjoy

Bernard