Broadband router

Posted by: ChrisD on 10 December 2003

Hi everyone,

At the moment im sharing the internet connection in my house via a hub with a pc in the loft connected to the internet and the other pcs in the house sharing the connection from this.

i want to buy a broadband router to tidy things up a bit (and also the pc in the loft isnt very stable and we quite often have problems with it).

Does anyone know how to set these things up? is it a case of just plugging all the computers into it like a hub? and then another rj45 socket for the modem to plug straight into?

The router i am looking at getting is sthis one http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=12&CategoryID=2&ProductID=223

it seems cheap and cheerful, but will it do the job? and will i need to buy anything else to set it all up?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Paul Ranson
I think that will do the job. If you're retaining your existing hub/switch then you'll need to use a 'crossover' cable or an 'uplink' port on the hub/switch.

I'm assuming an existing cable or ADSL modem. You may find it convenient to raise your sights to an integrated ADSL/modem/router http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=12&CategoryID=1&ProductID=729 for example.

The only downside to the Linksys that I can see from the crude specs is that it doesn't claim much in the way of a firewall. In reality this probably doesn't matter much.

Paul
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Rico
There are Linksys models that include firewall (and even VPN capability too) such as the http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=109936

Have been considering buying one of these meself.

Rico - SM/Mullet Audio
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by ChrisD
Cheers Paul and Rico,

i just wanted to make sure i was getting the right thing before i ordered it.

paul - yeah i already got a cable modem so am gonna keep things cheap and just get a router instead of an integrated jobbie, cheers for the info though.

A firewall isnt too much of a problem cos i use zone alarm anyway. would a router with firewall capabilities be classed as a hardware firewall (if there is sch a thing!)? And is there any advantages to having a hardware firewall compared to a software one?

thanks

Chris
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Toksik
Chris, i've just got broadband this week and it ROCKS! compared to my old dial-up thingy.
had a good look at all the various IPS'S and equipment and eventually decided on Router/modem from a company called SOLWISE

Solwise Ltd,13/15 Springfield Way, Anlaby, Hull, HU10 6RJ.
Tel: 0845 458 4558 Fax: 0845 458 4559 Email: Sales Support

i ordered the router SAR130 on friday and had it up and rinning Monday night!. another clincher was the support forum plus helpful advice on splitters etc.
worth a call Chris.

dennis Smile
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Paul Ranson
I think a firewall in the router is a good thing, it puts everything in one place and should you get some sort of infection it can help ameliorate it. You get some protection from 'NAT' of course, which every one of these devices has in order to make it work at all....

Paul
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by Roy T
The question of hardware vs software for a firewall is a question I'm pondering prior to broadband arriving sometime in the near future. I have come across this short note from Sam Spade Firewalls (who has knocked together some net utilities. He reckons that a hardware firewall is the only type to have but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to judge if he is correct or not. Could someone please throw some light on the debate?

Roy
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by matthewr
Any router will give you all the firewall you need for a personal connection. A "proper" statefull firewall is completely OTT (in terms of effort and price) for personal applications.

Software firewalls are more trouble than they are worth in my experience although I guess they are better than nothing if you are on a tight budget. On the whole though if you have broadband then get a router/switch for about £60 and be done with it.

Matthew
Posted on: 10 December 2003 by mykel
Prime Example.

I have a USR broadband router. It has a basic firewall capability and a 4 port switch. Cost is about $100.00 canadian. ( Used at home )

For a client
I have just priced out an entry level Cisco Pix 501 hardware firewall. This is a broadband router sized box, with a 4 port switch. Now this is a professional product, positioned for home / home office / small or satalite business. The cost with a 10 user licence providing 3DES ( data encryption ) was $700.00 canadian.

Would I like a PIX for at home.... well yea, but is it justifiable for my home network? Not a chance. The other thing is a dedicated hardware firewall is a quite complex beast. This is not something I would recomend for the novice home pc guru. While they do have a web interface, the real power is in the command line, and the associated concepts are a pretty steep learning curve. That's probably why the Cisco certified guy's make serious coin.

A basic broadband router with SPI will be all you need. Quite a few of the parinoid I know run both the router and a sw based solution such as Zone Alarm. If you live in the Linux world there is always iptables.... I'll stop now while I'm ahead.....

regards,

michael
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Rasher
I installed a network at home last year with broadband access in every room. Now of course it is much easier and I now have a Netgear wireless hub/router/transmitter/firewall all in one unit. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house or garden without cables, as can every PC in the house. All that wiring I had installed is now unnecessary. It's so easy now. Go wireless.
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Minky
Rasher,

What did it cost ? What's the downside ? What data speed are you getting ? Have you noticed a significant reduction in the size of your gonads since you installed it (or any other strange phenomena e.g. "plague of five eyed toads" etc) ?
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Rasher
The hardwiring of the network last year was probably £500 during lots of other building work. The wirless LAN card was £45 for the laptop, a card for the PC is around £28. The Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps wireless ADSL modem Firewall Router was £117.99 + VAT. Its 11b or 11g standard, so its the brand new high speed jobbie. Your broadband connection would be the bottleneck, so you would never see a difference. You would notice a slow down transferring mega amounts of data between computers on your network though, if transferring wirelessly - but its faster than your broadband.
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Rasher
BTW - Brighton has the first wireless internet access beach, and loads of coffee houses - Starbucks etc, stations, bars, are doing it too. Just go to the beach and log on and work. Its a good enough reason to get a laptop if you haven't already got one.
I love my work Smile