HiDef Sites & Music

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 19 June 2008

Thought I'd start a thread where we can collectively start to record sites, how good they, and the files they make available, are.

The files can be: Stored on directly attached storage, a la Naim HDX; Stored remotely, on a NAS for example, a la Linn/Slim Server; or burned onto media and played back via CD/DVD. I've included a 'File Handling' header in my comments below.

Personally I'd be VERY interested in any other sites & their files, don't want to waste my hard earned money!

M
Posted on: 19 June 2008 by Mr Underhill
Site: http://www.highdeftapetransfers.net
Files: Scheherazade and Le Coq D'or Suite by Rimsky-Korsakoff
Perf: Vienna State Opera Orchestra under Hermann Scherchen

DL Speed: Around 200Kps
File Format: WAV
File Size: 1,236MB
File Quality: 9624

Payment: PayPal or form for completion (NOT encrypted).

File Handling: Lplex --> DVD.

Max 5*
Recording: *
Performance: **

Notes:

DVD production noted here:

http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78019385/m/6382999417

Where is the bass? Could be in the way I am handling the file - but I doubt it, as I have had some good results elsewhere.

The recording quality was so poor it makes any comment about the performance meaningless. I ended up filling in missing parts with my imagination!

I will try another piece sourced from this site, hope this is a one off aberation. Especially as the site is cheap!
***FREE***
Site: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html
Files: Sample files: W.A.Mozart- Violin concerto in D major (KV 218); Beethoven- Sonate 32; B.Britten: Simple Symphony, Op. 4.
Perf: Various

DL Speed: 90kbps - 130kbps
File Format: flac
File Size: 736MB

Payment: FREE

Max 5*
Recording: *****
Performance: ****

Notes:

Wish these were complete! I bought Sceherade as a piano duet from Linn, reviewed below. Not too happy as the bass isn't what I would expect from a pair of pianos. In the Mozart is a demo of what I'd hoped the Linn files would deliver.

These files are worth the trouble of downloading. However, whebn I tried a download via my browser it failed consistently. Reverted to WGET and had no issues.
Site: http://www.linnrecords.com/artist-artur-pizarro-and-vita-panomariovaite.aspx
Files: Piano Duets based on music by Rimsky-Korsakov
Perf: Artur Pizarro and Vita Panomariovaite

DL Speed: 230kbps (from memory)
File Format: flac
File Size: 3200MB
File Quality: 88.2KHz 24bit

Payment: Visa on site.

File Handling: Upsample 88.2 --> 96Khz, then Lplex --> DVD.

Max 5*
Recording: ***

Notes:

Not too happy as the bass isn't what I would expect from a pair of pianos. In fact I've now bought the SACD to determine whether it is a problem in my DVD production.

Irritating that these are 88.2KHz, as this is not a sample rate accepted within the DVD spec, so I had to upsample to 96Khz.

I have always loved RK, and these duets are enjoyable ...but, I sometimes wish they would stop doing a florish of notes at EVERY oppurtunity - why not just play a simple note every now and again?

Also, why £18? Seems to me that Linn could share some of their cost savings with us punters!
Posted on: 25 June 2008 by Mr Underhill
***FREE***
Files: Sample Files
Perf: Various

DL Speed: Around 500Kps
File Format: FLAC
File Size: 610MB

Payment: Free.

Max 5*
Recording: ****

Notes:

The files are -

DvorakViolinCon.flac; FallaRitScherchen.flac; Historic du Soldat.flac; LiadovPrevin.flac; Mahler2Scherchen.flac; SchumSym1Munch.flac; SibeliusKarelia.flac; repighirossiana_01.flac.

The sound quality of these files was substantially better than that of the Scheherezade reviewed above. I wouldn't claim to know any of the pieces well, and so will not attempt a GFFJ style review of them musically, but technically the sound fine - and as freebies worth having a listen.

M
Posted on: 25 June 2008 by Mr Underhill
Files: Rachmaninov 1st Symphony + Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet
Perf: Rach - Philadelphia Orchestra under Ormandy / Tch - BSO under Munch

DL Speed: Around 80 - 130Kps
File Size: 1,100MB approx

Max 5*
Rach
Recording: ****
Tch
Recording: * (SEE NOTES!)
Performance: *****

Notes:
Independent review

Rach - described to me by a friend as 'saccharin'. I have NEVER listened knowingly to Rachmaninov and I wouldn't describe this as overly sweet. He definitely likes musical pyrotechnics, and as much as I like crash-bang-whallop I'm not sure I'm going to play this overly much - but I need to revisit it a few times first.
The technical side of the recording seems fine.

Tch - well known themes abound in this 'saccharin' piece, which the composer probably hated, in a visceral recording that I was really enjoying, BUT ...
To burn the file to DVD I converted it from flac to WAV - and I had an error in the process.
I emailed Bob who recommended dbPoweramp - which also failed.
I forced the conversion using flac - but the resultant DVD suffered dropout on the track towards the end (the error occurred at 85% conversion). I have emailed Bob and hope that this will be resolved, in which case I'll post an update.
Posted on: 26 June 2008 by Jono 13
Mr. Underhill,

I usually approach these sites, especially the low bite rate/mp3 ones, as taster sites which lead to the purchase of the full-fat CD/LP of the music on offer.

To download 650MB'ish of full resolution data may well upset plenty of ISPs if done on a regular basis.

Just my thoughts and sorry if they are a bit of topic.

Jono
Posted on: 26 June 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by Jono 13:
upset plenty of ISPs if done on a regular basis.

Jono

Who cares about that????? Why should they care what or how much you are downloading. Either the ISP has unlimited downloads/uploads, or they charge you per GB over a certain point.

In either scenario, they dont care what you do. ... provided it is legal.

And you certainly should give a rats ass about them. You pay them good money and should get everything you can for it.
Posted on: 26 June 2008 by pcstockton
Mr. Underhill.

I wish you were an XP user and I could get you past ANY hurdle.

You method should be download or rip the files to FLAC.

Then convert in Foobar to WAV, if you want to burn them for use in the car etc....

Use EAC to burn the WAVs using the cue file if you have one (You would if you used EAC to rip discs).

Done deal. You now have a perfect GAPLESS, bit for bit copy with pre-track gaps, pre-emphasis (if it is there, rare) etc....

I like dBpoweramp and I have it. But I only use it for the popups when you hover over a track/folder. I have never used it to rip or burn.

But if I didn't have EAC, i probably would.

What player are you using?
Posted on: 30 June 2008 by Mr Underhill
Files: Tchaikovsky Romeo & Juliet
Perf: Tch - CSO under Munch

DL Speed: Around 80 - 130Kps
File Size: 356MB approx

Max 5*
Tch
Recording: ***
Performance: *****

Notes:
The original file had some errors that prevented me getting a proper conversion from flac to wav.

I emailed Bob and he posted an update a couple of days later ...thanks, good service.

The recording is not perfect, there are a couple of minor glitches I noticed on the left channel; BUT, the main thing I noticed was the GREAT dynamics. I'm not really a Tchaikovsky fan, finding his ballet music generally too saccharin, and his symphonies too dry and melody free. This definitely falls in the earlier camp - but pinned me to the sofa, despite the well worn themes - used so often in musical accompaniment to love scene caricatures!
Posted on: 28 July 2008 by Mr Underhill
Site: http://www.itrax.com/
Files: Guitar Noir
Perf: Laurence Juber

DL Speed: Around 40 - 130Kps
File Size: 2,500MB approx

Payment: Credit Card HTTPS.

Max 5*
Tch
Recording: *****
Performance: ***

Notes:
The original files had issues with Lplex. I converted them to flac and back - issues sorted.

Three piece jazz: Guitar; Double Bass & Drums.

My thoughts are that this is music that is often used to demonstrate HiFi systems. Brilliantly recorded, not sure about the music. These guys can play and I wish they had created an album of standards. The nearest they got was the last track, Strawberry Fields, which was probably the least interesting!

I might grow to like this more after a few listens - in which case I'll post an update.

M