DVD5 - How to turn off progressive scan

Posted by: SimonJ on 12 June 2005

I'm running a DVD5 into an DVDO iScan HD+. The DVD5 is connected to the iScan HD+ via component leads. Now the iScan prefers a non messed with interlaced signal so that the iScan can deinterlace it and upscale it itself. Does anyone know how to turn off progressive scan?
Posted on: 12 June 2005 by niceguy235uk
Hi Simon

Being a fairly new and short owner of a DVD5 (gone back to naim for repair) i dont think you can turn off progressive. i Know you can turn off the outputs that you are not using but thats it.

Regards
Jason
Posted on: 12 June 2005 by SimonJ
quote:
Originally posted by niceguy235uk:
Hi Simon

Being a fairly new and short owner of a DVD5 (gone back to naim for repair) i dont think you can turn off progressive. i Know you can turn off the outputs that you are not using but thats it.

Regards
Jason

Thanks Jason, that's what I thought too, but I hoped I wasn't right. This is a bit of a shortcoming if it is true, my other DVD player does it fine.

I've been playing with quite a few of the settings and I have also tried connecting the DVD5 to my iScan via a QED SCART to RGB+SYNC lead (AV19) as that's interlaced, but am having great troubles getting that to work correctly too as the iSCAN needs an RGB feed + a composite feed at the same time as it uses the composite feed as the sync!

Hmm, good job it's only on loan, although it would be a shame if I run out of time and have to take it back before I get a chance to get it ultimately setup! I would buy the DVD5 if it worked with the iScan as I think it will be a good and flexible solution. Confused
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by Geoff P
quote:
QED SCART to RGB
Surely it must be possible to get an interlaced signal off the SCART plug since SCART RGB can normally be plugged into a bog standard TV whithout progressive scan and you can use the composite out for sync can't you?

regards
GEOFF
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by SimonJ
Hi Geoff, I managed to crack it late last night via the SCART lead route. Basically the problem was that the SCART output shut down when not in the setup menu, even though it was turned on in the setup menu. I fixed it by turning it off, save, and then turn it back on and save and it now works via the SCART RGB. This DVD5 thing really seems to have a few quirks/bugs!
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by Peter Gear
Simon

I currently have a DVD5 on an extended demo (with AV2/175 nsats centre and sub).
I have have also had a few problems with the DVD5 and have been told by my dealer that these are known by Naim and will be resolved in a new version of firmware to be issued 20th June.
I will report more fully later but as long as these issues (and others perhaps yet to be found?) are resolved then I will probably go along with this system.

It does sound very fine.

Peter
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by SimonJ
I agree it looks and sounds mighty fine, but whilst the bugs aren't sorted out I wouldn't plump for one. If however what you say is true and they will be fixed in the next few weeks, I guess I'll be happy to wait till then. I can then probably have my AV2 on the latest firmware at the same time.

Does anyone have a list of what improvements will be in the updated firmware on the DVD5? Will it allow interlaced output via DVI and Component?
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by niceguy235uk
Big Grin My DVD5 went back to naim with that as one of the problems Big Grin
Simple when you know how eh?
Posted on: 27 June 2005 by AndyMac
Does any one know if there is any new firmware for the DVD5? I have had one for about a month, in the main it is OK but sometimes recognising and ejecting a disc can take ages, very frustrating.

Andy
Posted on: 28 June 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by AndyMac:
Does any one know if there is any new firmware for the DVD5? I have had one for about a month, in the main it is OK but sometimes recognising and ejecting a disc can take ages, very frustrating.

Andy

I have noticed the same thing re: ejecting a disc! The other problem I mentioned elsewhere ... if you activate the unit from standby you loose sync with component cables. You have to turn the unit off and on to regain sync. This is a known issue.

How will the firmware updates become available. On line or a disc?
Posted on: 02 July 2005 by Jedi
My Dealer has the new software and is updating my machine as I speak. Apparently it cures all the known probs.

Will post my findings.
Posted on: 04 July 2005 by SimonJ
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda:
My Dealer has the new software and is updating my machine as I speak. Apparently it cures all the known probs.

Will post my findings.

Do you have any findings to post yet!
Posted on: 06 July 2005 by HiFiCinema
We (HiFiCinema) have the updated software - if anyone wants to bring in thier DVD5 we'll update it for free ! call 0118 9820402 Smile
Posted on: 06 July 2005 by AndyMac
quote:
Originally posted by HiFiCinema:
We (HiFiCinema) have the updated software - if anyone wants to bring in thier DVD5 we'll update it for free ! call 0118 9820402 Smile

Yes but does it actually fix any problems?

Andy
Posted on: 09 July 2005 by SimonJ
Yes! Has a few nice extras too! Winker

Doo it, doo it, doo it!!
Posted on: 10 July 2005 by AndyMac
Just a thought. How do I check what version I am running at the moment, and what is the latest version?

Andy
Sorry the above post went off in my hands.

The reason for asking is my DVD5 is only 6-7 weeks old, and I had to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive. I would hope my firmware should be pretty new, although from the problems experienced I hope I have the original beta code. The loan unit I had for a week did not have any problems like my new one.

Andy
Posted on: 10 July 2005 by SimonJ
What problems do you have?
Mainly just takes ages to recognise a disk. i.e switch it on and try to eject (open) can take 2 mins, worst case have to switch off and on. Other times put in a DVD/CD and can be 2-3 mins before it will play. Once it is going all is OK, but the initial time is just really frustrating.

Andy
Posted on: 10 July 2005 by SimonJ
My dealer received the new firmware this Monday just gone so I had mine done on Thursday. It does take a while to recognise a disk, but not 2-3 minutes. I guess yours is the older firmware, so would take it to your local friendly dealer to have it upgraded.
Posted on: 30 July 2005 by Jedi
Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you about the update.

Machine now working really well, havn't had any of the bugs resurface, will let you all know if anything weird happens. It now goes into and out of standby perfectly, responds better to the remote control and I can now run it with the display off and still get a picture! My wife has had to stop moaning about how our old Arcam DVD88 was 'better' because it always worked!

Should note that after the update the machine may ask for a region code each time you turn it on, this will only happen if you are entering'0'. You need to enter a number between 1 and 6 and then apply the region hack. your dealer might be able to help with this Winker

Also for Simon J, the setup menu now has a function for turning the prog scan off, so this should sort your problem!!

Cheers.
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by SimonJ
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda:
Also for Simon J, the setup menu now has a function for turning the prog scan off, so this should sort your problem!!

Cheers.

Hi Yoda,

Just had chance to try this. I presume you are refering to the 'setup menu > video setup > video outputs off > interlacedRed Facen/off' option? If so this makes no difference to the DVI output it stays at progressive no matter what this option is set to. Frown

Mine has the latest firmware, but I can't see how to do this still. Can anyone confirm either way if this can be done or not? If it can't then can Naim confirm if this will be included in later firmware?