Using the TV speakers as the centre channel

Posted by: nap-ster on 28 August 2005

I am in the market for an LCD TV. However, due to space restrictions and neatness I was thinking of using the TV speakers as the centre channel. Does anyone know of an HD ready 32 or 37" set that can accept the phono output (centre channel, split from mono to stereo) from an AV receiver and input this signal and then output this through the speakers?

With the purchase of the new TV I am looking to stand it on a low level wooden unit, more furniture like to fit in with the lounge. The low level unit will only have 2 shelves. I'll have to fit in the AV processor, Sky+ box and the DVD player already.

The only place for the centre speaker is on top of this unit in front of the TV.
Posted on: 28 August 2005 by E.
I believe the Sonys typically do this, with an explicit "centre channel" mode. Not sure about other makes.

However, since the center channel contains the majority of information (dialogue) in DVD movies, I think you'll be sorely disappointed with the quality of this method.

I appreciate your space/aesthetic concerns (I tried the same thing), but really the center channel is one place where you _don't_ want to go cheap.

Good luck.