Anyone tried Netgear EVA8000?

Posted by: Graham Russell on 15 September 2008

I use a Netgear EVA8000 digital media player for streaming movies. It also plays streamed audio and supports Flac. Has anyone tried one of these as a source?

I am thinking about dipping a toe into the digital streaming world. Perhaps the EVA8000 coupled with a Lavry DAC would give me a good starting point.

Thanks
Graham
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Chris Kelly
quote:
I am thinking about dipping a toe into the digital streaming world

Really? To take advantage of the Sunbury music library?? Winker
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Graham Russell
Might be interesting to see what all the fuss is about Smile
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Steve S1
Fancy seeing you guys here in our ghetto. Big Grin

Graham,

Have a chat to John (JN) or Tony (tonym) they both have superb reference systems like you. I took a streaming solution to Tony's and it was interesting to say the least. Tony is having a play when he gets his own DAC.

Regards,

Steve
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Gary S.
Graham

I am currently investigaing the whole streaming thing and am so far very taken with the Linn Accurate DS. I have also been asking arround about the Netgear EVA8000 for movies. I was advised recently by my local Sevenoaks store that it was a great product for movies, easy to set up and use, and great value for money, but they did admit that it probably wasn't up to much in hifi terms and suggested I should look elsewhere for streaming my music.

Presumably you rate it for movies? Would you recommend it?

Gary
Hi Gary,

Yes the EVA8000 is great for streaming movies. the HD output is great too. I stream SD movies to my Pioneer plasma displaying as 720p. Stunning Smile

It has both coax and optical digital audio outputs. At the moment I use the coax output to go to my Yamaha processor.

If the digital audio output is simply a pass-through of the audio stream would the "sound quality" be an issue for streaming audio? Assuming that no jitter was introduced I would think the sound quality was down to the D/A and the rest of the replay system. But then again I am a newbie at this audio streaming malarky.

Graham.
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S1:
Fancy seeing you guys here in our ghetto. Big Grin

Graham,

Have a chat to John (JN) or Tony (tonym) they both have superb reference systems like you. I took a streaming solution to Tony's and it was interesting to say the least. Tony is having a play when he gets his own DAC.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I would be very interested in hearing a streaming solution in the context of my system.

If you can add a second PSU to the DAC I'll be really happy Big Grin

Graham
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by james n
Hi Graham - if you go for that option and want to give the lavry a go then let me know. Only down the road from you.

Cheers

James
Hi James,

Thanks for the offer.

It would be great if we can sort something out. After having caused such controversy recently by trying two PSUs on a CD555 and the resulting backlash from the audio streaming gang it would be great to hear how the options compare.

Cheers
Graham
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by james n
Hi Graham - email add in my profile. Drop me a mail and we can set something up.

Cheers

James
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Russell:
If the digital audio output is simply a pass-through of the audio stream would the "sound quality" be an issue for streaming audio? Assuming that no jitter was introduced I would think the sound quality was down to the D/A and the rest of the replay system. But then again I am a newbie at this audio streaming malarky.

Graham.

No idea Graham - I'm new to this as well. I had rather assumed the EVA8000 was an all in one solution with in-built DAC. The guy I was speaking to uses the EVA for movies and something else for audio, Sonos I think, but he indicated that he had tried the EVA for audio but didn't like it.

Gary
Gary,

I've just had a quick look round the back of the EVA8000. It does have 6 channels of audio out so there's obviously a built in audio decoder. My thoughts are to take digital audio to an external DAC such as a Lavry. I would hope this maintains the quality of the original digital audio stream off the network.

Graham.
quote:
Originally posted by james n:
Hi Graham - email add in my profile. Drop me a mail and we can set something up.

Cheers

James

James,

Email sent.

Cheers
Graham
Posted on: 16 September 2008 by james n
Hi Graham - didn't get one ?

James
Posted on: 16 September 2008 by Graham Russell
Hi James,

Email resent. I made a typo with your address.

Graham
Posted on: 16 September 2008 by james n
Sorted Smile