Have we done chocolate?

Posted by: Dave J on 29 October 2003

What with all the recent and frankly inspiring talk of pizza and curry, I don't recall seeing anything about the third essential component of a sound and healthy diet, namely chocolate.

What's the consensus - do the Swiss really know anything about it or is it just the Belgians that can pipe a praline. Has anyone tried any of the excellent varietals that you can pick up in Madrid and Barcelona? What about Rococo on the Kings Road? What about the excellent little boxes of chocolates that Tom gets in Tunbridge Wells? Why does Hershey's sound so glamorous on this side of the Atlantic yet taste so vile with it's distinct aroma of baby vomit?

Anyone mentions Cadbury's though and your out.
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by jayd
A friend just returned from the Continent bearing Leonidas chocolates (a selection of milk, white, and dark). Belgian stuff, according to the package, and very good.

(It may very well be the Hershey's of Belgium for all I know, but if so, it beats the heck out of the Hershey's of America.)
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Dave J
Leonidas is certainly one of the best chocolatiers I've come across in Belgium and I have to reveal here that my own preference is for Belgian above Swiss. Another terrific make is Chocolate Line at Simon Stevinplein in Bruges.
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Geoff P
Maybe we should rename it WHAT have we done TO chocolate.

British chocolate (and US) is all weak stuff because it has a low Cocoa content (cheaper).
French and Belgium chocolate has a lot more Cocoa in it which makes it much more delicious and powerfull tasting.
Basically same rules as with coffee

(stands well back and waits for a defense of british chos to arrive)
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Dave J
Geoff, you're absolutely right. The mass produced muck that masquerades as chocolate is pretty dire.
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Cheese
quote:
do the Swiss really know anything about it or is it just the Belgians that can pipe a praline
The Swiss do know something about it, but IMO Belgians and also the French also have their word to say. Best proof is that Freddy Girardet, a well-known swiss chef until he retired a few years ago, used to order his chocolate in France - plain chocolate, that is.

Swiss chocolate manufacturers have very strict regulations to follow, but these regulations have been loosened a few years ago, and the drop in quality was definitely noticeable though not actually shocking.

The Swiss are, as far as I can see, very creative when it comes to invent new specialities, especially with milk chocolate. It can of course be gorgeous, but to me plain chocolate is the only way to go.

Of course there is unbelievably good plain chocolate over here - for this you have to visit one of the Maître Chocolatiers in Lausanne or Geneva. The pleasure you experience is comparable to good wine or whisky - if you don't mind the queue of japanese tourists and the prices multiplied by six... oh well it's still a sensible investment Smile

Cheese
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Two-Sheds
Another good Belgian chocolate is Neuhaus. The frsh chocolate you can buy in Belgium is amazing. I don't think I have ever had fresh swiss or french chocolate so I couldn't compare.
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Dave J
quote:
Swiss chocolate manufacturers have very strict regulations to follow, but these regulations have been loosened a few years ago, and the drop in quality was definitely noticeable though not actually shocking.

That may be it. I've got friends who live in Zurich and whenever they come over they bring chocolate and Schnapps and whilst the quality of the Schnapps never ceases to amaze, the chocolate has become a bit more...I was going to say English but that woud be unfair. It's probably just become more commercial. Beautifully presented but a bit sweet and lacking n the intense chocalate 'hit'. Must confess that I've not tried any Maître Chocolatiers though.

Like most of us here, I tend to judge chocolate makers on the quality of their plain product and some of the better single estate stuff that Tom refers to is almost narcotic in its intensity.

As an aside I am surprised that American chocolate is so poor given that the quality of the ice cream is generally so high.

Dave
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Madrid
quote:
Has anyone tried any of the excellent varietals that you can pick up in Madrid

Oddly enough, I live in Madrid but have yet to find good Madrid-based chocolate. Has anyone a suggestion?

The best swiss chocolate I have found is appropriately called "Le Petit Plasur" (sic?).

However, the best chocolate I have found is a french one: Tres Amer from Michel Cluizel. It is a nearly bitter 85% mix of 3 different chocolates. The rest is vanilla and pure cane sugar. So, in addition to being tasty and containing lots of healthy cocoa antioxidants, it contains no unhealthy junk such as butter.

Cheers,

Steven
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Madrid
quote:
As an aside I am surprised that American chocolate is so poor given that the quality of the ice cream is generally so high.

Another comment from a devoted chocolate-phile:

I think most U.S. chocolate is fairly mediocre, but Joseph Schmidt in San Francisco makes some excellent truffles. To my mind, they are as good as any swiss chocolate I have tried.
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by JohanR
quote:
British chocolate (and US) is all weak stuff because it has a low Cocoa content (cheaper).

I can add Swedish chocolate to this list. No need to try it if you havn't. And of course, the most popular brand, 'Marabou' is the worst (most Swedes think they are delicious. But as everyone in his right mind understands, a country that can produce something as bland and uninteresting as Volvos...).

JohanR
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Phil Barry
US mass market chocolate is made to a price. This problem is compunded by the manufacturer's penchant for substituting sugar (i.e. the cheapest form of sweetenr they have available) for other tastes, like chocolate.

Godiva stuff tends to ne good. The is a Godiva ice cream flavor called 'Dark Belgian hocolate' that is good.

But i haven't had great chocolate in years.

Phil
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by jayd
A quick plug for some very fine boutique chocolate, which seems to be making a comeback, at least on the west coast. Our own Euphoria Chocolate Company here in Eugene is everything the name suggests. Fenton & Lee, also Eugene based, is excellent as well, and I concur with Madrid's opinion on Joseph Schmidt of San Francisco.

US mass market chocolate is dreadful, but there is good stuff to be had, here and there.
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Dave J
quote:
However, the best chocolate I have found is a french one: Tres Amer from Michel Cluizel.

Available from Chocolate Trading Co. along with many other brands
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Steve B
quote:
Anyone mentions Cadbury's though and your out.

I like Cadbury's fruit and nut. Razz

I also like Heinz salad cream.

I also like cheddar cheese.

But, I no longer drink Leibfraumilch, so there's hope for me yet.

Steve B
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Derek Wright
If you want a regular fix of good chocolate check out

Chocolate Tasting Club

Subscribe to get a regular fix delivered to your door selecting from the chocolate houses of Europe.

The parent organisation is

Hotel Chocolate Ltd

and it is based in Royston Herts

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Brian OReilly
quote:
Originally posted by dozy:
The Lindt 99% cocoa stuff tastes awful. You can have too much cocoa in chocolate. I quitr like the green and black organic stuff.

Alan

I have to agree with this.

I am currently eating a german brand of 73% cocoa called "gepa". This is a "fair trade " product. Tastes good and helps poor people.

Brian OReilly
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Andrew L. Weekes
Green and Black's - mmmmmmm!

Much better than that nasty, cloying sickly milk chocolate junk we normally get.

Has anyone noticed how the horrid stuff leaves one so unsatisfied, it's sickly sweetness makes it addictive and one eats a whole bar and then regrets it afterwards.

A couple of chunks of the good stuff though and that's all you need!

Andy.
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by Dave J
quote:
Has anyone noticed how the horrid stuff leaves one so unsatisfied, it's sickly sweetness makes it addictive and one eats a whole bar and then regrets it afterwards

This is strange isn't it? My kids think they have to have a bar of it pretty much everyday but I don't get the same craving with the decent stuff.

I thought I'd try to find out more about this and came across an article by a doctor at Florida University who, when asked about chocolate addiction concluded "Chocolate contains its own cannabinoid--a compound that resembles the euphoria inducing ingredient in marijuana -- as well as related chemicals that can prolong any pleasurable sensation". Well that may help to explain why we enjoy it so much in the first place but I didn't think cannabinoids were in themselves addictive and in any case the cheaper commercial muck must contain less of the substance anyway.

I found some more interesting stuff on it here and here

Dave
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by Madrid
quote:
However, the best chocolate I have found is a french one: Tres Amer from Michel Cluizel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available from Chocolate Trading Co. along with many other brands

I erred. It is actually called "Grand Amer" not "Tres Amer", though it combines cocoa from three regions (Java, Central America and Africa). I was obliged to inspect the label and try a small chunk last night.

Cheers,

Steven
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by David Stewart
Yorkie bars rule !!

Runs and hides Big Grin

Anon.
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by Dave J
David, yer a heathen Smile
Posted on: 31 October 2003 by Roy T
One more way to enjoy the magic bean.

Roy T
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by David Stewart
I'm not really a heathen, just help 'em out when they're busy Wink

And whilst I remember, one of my favourite treats is plain chocolate Bath Olivers, but you only seem to be able to get them at the time of year that dare not speak its name Frown

David
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Derek Wright
quote:
at the time of year that dare not speak its name

ah! the festival of fuses <g>

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 04 November 2003 by David Stewart
Strangely enough Tom, I don't actually eat the Choc-Ollies with cheese Wink

David