DAC location advice

Posted by: Lark on 21 September 2008

Hi

I am currently playing with computer audio, using a MAC book and an old Meridian DAC. Very happy with the sound per pound, but looks a bit shabby located next to my Fraim on a side table.

What I want to do is start using my iMAC, but this is about 8 meters away. I would need to site the DAC next to it (due to jack/Toslink length) then get an 8 meter cable made up by Flashback.

In short would using a 8m interconnect between my DAC and 552 cause any issues? Would it have any negative effects on the sound?

Cheers Karl

ps I have an Airport but have constant drop-outs where I live so it is not a practical solution.
Posted on: 21 September 2008 by CharlieP
Lark,

I would think it better to use a long Toslink cable and a shorter (analog) interconnect - thus locating the DAC a bit closer to the Preamp.

Charlie
Posted on: 22 September 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieP:
Lark,

I would think it better to use a long Toslink cable and a shorter (analog) interconnect - thus locating the DAC a bit closer to the Preamp.

Charlie

Karl,

I agree with Charlie. I wouldn't worry about Airport Express. It can be very good in some places but directly connected will be better.

Steve
Posted on: 22 September 2008 by Lark
Cheers for the advice Smile