What am I listening to

Posted by: Arye_Gur on 02 February 2001

I'd never discussed music with other peopel and I don't have the theoretical understanding.
Ron asked me to talk about the music I listen to
(hey Ron, you don't want just to free the HiFi room from my presence ? ) and here I am.

Unless I have visitors or my kids are around, my system plays since the time I wake up (the first thing I do in the morning is to raise the volume).
Most of the time I listen to a radio broadcasting
that belongs to the Israely army and the....
Israely traffic ministry (There are things you can find only in Israel). This broadcasts only music 24/7 with the exception of 3 - 4 minutes every hour for the news.
The music is the modern and popular pop and rock
from the world and in Hebrew.
Sometimes at night they broadcast electronic music (don't remeber its name now ) but I can't listen to this kind of music (I tried but it "bumps" my head).

When I choose the music I listen to I listen to
(this is what I like now, it changes in time)
Alanis Morissette - unplugged
Radiohead - Kid A
red hot chili peppers - californication
Beatles - "1", Ywellow Submarine and the white album
Van Morrison - Days like this
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
James Galway with the London Virtuosi - Serenade for Flute

I don't mention here Hebrew music.

As I said, I may listen to each of the above now, but in a few days there will be other labels.

I hope it is a good post for a start - what do you think, Ron ?

Arie

Posted on: 02 February 2001 by P
Arie

You are a certain candidate to enjoy Mana more than you could ever imagine it seems!

P. - let us face it (listened to Apostrophe last night and have now got a thing about them!)

Posted on: 02 February 2001 by Arye_Gur
Pierre,

Is Mana is a subject here too ?

Arie

Arie

Apologies

It is difficult to try and share a sense of humour with someone who maybe does not appreciate or understand it.

I did not mean to offend you.

Peace

P.

Pierre ,

I don't know who doesn't have a sence of humor - you or I, but at least you read my post here -
keep reading it.

Arie

Arie

I would love to but I am afraid my system is calling me to prayer and I must go and listen to the magical sounds it makes

Bye

P.

Posted on: 02 February 2001 by fred simon
Sorry to interrupt this private conversation, but I am a huge fan of the Israeli singer/songwriter Noa (Achinoam Nini), especially the record she made in collaboration with the Pat Metheny Group titled Noa. Exquisite songs sung with an exquisite voice.

I assume you are familiar with her?

[This message was edited by fred simon on FRIDAY 02 February 2001 at 23:14.]

Fred,

I'm familiar with her songs . She has a great success and the POP himself invited her to sing in the Vatikan.

She has a great voice, I don't know the record you mentioned - will look for it.

Arie

Posted on: 03 February 2001 by Ron The Mon
Arie,
I wasn't trying to chase you away from The Hi-fi
Corner, but wanted to know in earnest what you
listened to. You may notice that no one has yet
criticized your music selection or given you one
star!!
Are you listening to the newer editions of "Yellow
Submarine" and "White Album" or the originals?
Which do you prefer? I have all the Beatles on
vinyl and much prefer the originals with the
exception of "Sgt. Peppers".
My recent selections;
The first Jackson Browne record,
Nineinchnails "Things Falling Apart"
"Showdown at Big Sky"--Robbie Robertson
several LPs by XTC
and "Bop Me Daddy" by Plas Johnson
I listen to vinyl (don't own a CD player) only
occasionally as like yourself I listen mostly to
radioWDET Radio Online and also satelite.
Do any of your local stations broadcast online? I'd be curious to have a listen.

Thanks again,
Ron The Mon

Posted on: 03 February 2001 by Arye_Gur
Ron,

The white album - I have both on vinyl and cd.
The cd'a is a special edition that looks exacltly like the original album but in a cd size (30th Annivesary Limited Edition).
Sgt. Peppers - I have two vinyls and both are not good in sound. I don't know why and nobody mentions it, but I'd always thought that this wonderfull album has something wrong with its sound (to my ears - and maybe because of the LSD ???).
Yellow Sub. I have the new edition on a cd.

At least one Israely radio station is online, will check and inform you.

Omer,

I think "Noah" is great. Greater than her husband whom you think "stpos" her.

Althogh she doesn't have a rich collection like
Ella's, I think she is a greater singer.

Arie

[This message was edited by Arie_Gur on SATURDAY 03 February 2001 at 22:48.]

Posted on: 04 February 2001 by fred simon
I'm not sure at all that Noa aspires to be "the next Ella" or that she should even be compared, favorably or unfavorably, to Ella. They are very different singers with very different intents. Noa doesn't sing jazz, has no "classical American jazz education" as far as I know, in fact, professes not to know anything about jazz. It seems to me that her music is more folk/pop/rock, with a smattering of other musics mixed in. She lists singer/songwriters like Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and Leonard Cohen as her main influences (favorites of mine, as well).

Also, I really don't agree at all that Gil Dor is "holding her back" (I don't think they are married, but he is her collaborator ... she refers to him as her "second wing"). I think Gil is a major musical talent, both as player and writer. Noa obviously feels that way as well, as does Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, and Steve Rodby who all collaborated with Noa and Gil on her American debut album, NOA. From listening to that brilliant album, and from hearing them live a couple of times, and taking into consideration how much I respect the opinions of Metheny, Mays, and Rodby, my ears concur with theirs.

Ultimately, I guess I don't even agree with the premise that she is somehow "blocked" or "held back." Doesn't sound that way to me, at least. Gil is mainly responsible for many of the actual note and chord choices in the compositions (I think it is he that may have the jazz background), which I find to be inspired and deeply moving, especially as sung by Noa. To say that "she is greater than [Gil]" is to kind of miss the point that this is a rich, symbiotic relationship, the sum of which is greater than either of the parts. Lastly, if one really digs Noa, and she maintains that Gil is a vital part of her musical persona, then wouldn't one have to conclude that Gil is great, too?

Posted on: 04 February 2001 by Arye_Gur
Fred,

Do you have a copy of her singing Hebrew ?

If not, I think I can transfer to you.

I althogh thoght like Omer that she sings Jezz,
but I'm not able to analyze her music like you and I love what you wrote here.

Arie

Posted on: 05 February 2001 by fred simon
On her American album Noa that I've been writing about here (with Metheny, et al), and which I can't recommend highly enough, she sings half the songs in English, half in Hebrew. To me, it doesn't matter which language she sings in, it's her voice that counts.