Blunkett, D

Posted by: Kevin-W on 26 November 2003

Does anyone here hate David Blunkett as much as I do?

He is surely the worst Home Secretary in living memory (no mean feat as this would include Drac himself, Michael Howard).

I am sick to the back teeth of his macho bluster and his pitiful efforts to appeal to the editor of the Daily Mail. Only in his warped world could ID cards be equated with freedom and democracy.

What a cnut!!!

If anyone can think of a more nauseating politician (somone with power, so that excludes most Tories) I'd be intrigued to hear about them.

Kevin
Posted on: 26 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin-W:
If anyone can think of a more nauseating politician (somone with power, so that excludes most Tories) I'd be intrigued to hear about them.

While I agree that Blunkett is scum I don't think he's any worse than Tony B.liar and Fatty 2 Jags.

I don't actually mind ID cards all that much unless it's made an offence not to carry it. I've lived in several countries where that is the case and it's a right pain.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 26 November 2003 by Steve Toy
Indeed. In France the police misuse the requirement to carry ID at all times to harass Blacks and North Africans.

Imagine a police officer asking for your ID seven times in a day and the seventh time it is at the railway station when you're late for your train.

I love France and its way of life, but also value the liberty and anonymity that is being gradually undermined here.

Before long we will all be carrying ID cards with tracking devices. If a card appears not to have moved for more than, say, three hours then it will be presumed that its holder is either dead, unconscious or is not carrying it. In which case the police will be sent to find you.

I despise all members of the Labour government. Their agenda is one of curtailing freedom and maximising methods of control and surveillance of British subjects. My concern outlined above may seem far-fetched but then speed cameras and CCTVs in town centres and some council estates would have been equally unthinkable twenty years ago and would have seemed alarmingly Orwellian.

Regards,

Steve.
Posted on: 26 November 2003 by John C
What's he going to do with all those little asylum seeking children he's kidnapping?

Posted on: 26 November 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin-W:

Kevin

Try looking to the entire cabinet plus former cabinet members - charlatans, cheats, crooks, cnuts, etc etc.

Also try looking to the MEPs - their snouts are so deep in it ...

Mike
Posted on: 26 November 2003 by John C
"There is something deeply distressing about someone in their mid-twenties wearing a twin set and pearls harking on about a return to tradition family values. The women are even more dreadful."

Though you must admit they do elicit a certain sexual frisson Alex?

John

Ahem...The women that is
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by BLT
The scary thing about the Young Conservatives is that you know that their ideas and policies are really what all the Tories want, it's just that the older ones have to tone down their policies to appeal to the sane voters.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by BLT:
The scary thing about the Young Conservatives is that you know that their ideas and policies are really what all the Tories want, it's just that the older ones have to tone down their policies to appeal to the sane voters.

Isn't that what New Labour have done as well though?

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Rasher
so what's left then? Charles Kennedy is useless.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Hammerhead
Independents. Sod the ‘big 3’.

Steve
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Dev B
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Toy:
but also value the liberty and anonymity that is being gradually undermined here.

Steve, I am in the Middle East right now. Believe me you've never had it so good!
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Simon Perry
"Also try looking to the MEPs - their snouts are so deep in it ..."

Too right. Ever since 1994 the European Court of Auditors have been unable to testify without qualification to the accuracy of the EU's annual report.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by domfjbrown
quote:
Originally posted by Rasher:
so what's left then? Charles Kennedy is useless.

He can't do any worse than the other muppets... About time someone other than Slavebour and Bories got a chance...

I would have voted Green again last time, but they weren't standing in my area. Thankfully, neither were the BNP...

What would have followed if you had.

Posted on: 27 November 2003 by andy c
quote:
Before long we will all be carrying ID cards with tracking devices. If a card appears not to have moved for more than, say, three hours then it will be presumed that its holder is either dead, unconscious or is not carrying it. In which case the police will be sent to find you.

Really! I like gross exaggerations which is what this is - I hope!

In relation to home secretarys they are all as bad as each other.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Derek Wright
quote:
If a card appears not to have moved for more than, say, three hours then it will be presumed that its holder is either dead, unconscious or is not carrying it.

The mobile phone companies know more or less where you are already if your phone is switched on

YOur credit card company knows where you last had your card swiped (most outlets use online authorisation)

If the government wanted to (and had the organisational ability - which they do not have - Tower of Babel similarities) they could use existing monitoring tools to know who what and where you are doing it to, all the time.

Carrying id cards would be trivial - I carried/wore an id card for over 30 years for at least 5 days a week and often more. It also tracked where I went in the various buildings around the globe.

Flashing a card to see the doctor or dentist seems very logical.

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by matthewr