Sooloos - anyone heard that?

Posted by: Adrian F. on 04 November 2008

I was reading the report in the german image-hifi mag 5/08 about the Sooloos music server system. It looks like a more highend (and of course more expensive) version of what Sonos does.

http://sooloos.com/

Has somebody heard this system? Is it anywhere close to naims offerings (HDX)?

I like the modular approach very much! Source, Store and Control are separate modules. You can have multiple Stores to extend your collection and put them away from your hifi (out of the listening room) if you like.
And I like that you can use an iPhone or iPod touch as remote control (as I allready do today with Apple TV or AirPort express).
Even Sonos has just put out new software, which enables the Apple toys as remote.

I hope that naim is still awake and get's that trend? Please get rid of that flash stuff in your web-interface, so that we can use mobile Safari to control the HDX and the naim net servers. Or do a separate control software for this platform. Pleeeease Roll Eyes Also naim's other client software runs only on windooze Frown big minus in my future shopping decisions.

happy streaming
Adrian
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by PJT
Adrian,

I have heard one a few months back, and sounded very dull, lack lustre and frankly boring.
HOWEVER, this was via a QUAD valve pre/power/ESL combo, so not really a good test.

Certainl;y first impressions were good, but after listening to the same tracks at home really realised how much was missing from the music.
Posted on: 05 November 2008 by garyi
Looks a bit agricultural don't it?
Posted on: 05 November 2008 by Adrian F.
PJT: I couldn't judge it on this Quad combo either. Not because it's bad - I just don't know what this setup is capable of. Shurely very different from my naim gear. Although the ELS speakers still have a high reputation.

At that price tag I hoped it would not be necessary to buy a separate D/A converter... but probably it still is.

garyi: Do you mean the "control one" with the big display and the cd-drive in the foot? This one does look quite clumsy.

But the source and store modules looks o.k. to me (as far as I can tell from those pictures). Smoothed pure aluminum I guess? And multiple rows of circular vent-holes on top (and bottom?). The say it's got no fans inside.
Posted on: 05 November 2008 by Cjones
Yes, I have heard it. I did a full fledged demo and I am not a buyer. That said, if I didn't care about getting the best sound and music was just a ambiance issue, I would own one.

Long story short, I disagree fully with Jon Iverson at Stereophile and their assessment about the unit. On its own, it was obvious it was not a quality source and through a Spectral Premap. Using the digital output, it was only marginally better, through a EMM Labs D/A. My review was in a prepped demo room with Wilson Watt Puppy 8 speakers. I think the amps were Mark Levinson, but don't quote me on the amps....

Long story short, the interface is absolutely AMAZING and I think that everyone at Naim should take a good long look at it and at worse case scenario, just blatantly copy it.

As for the sound, not a buyer. I think the unit is super sexy and will appeal to a certain crowd.

Naim bests the unit in sound quality, but the Sooloos is better in user interface.

Sooloos says they are coming out with a better d/a unit, but I have not heard that.
Posted on: 05 November 2008 by Tonepub
As a Sooloos owner for the last year and a half, I'm considering bailing on it to get a Naim HDX.

The stock sound is mediocre, but I was using mine with a Wadia 521 DAC, so no big deal there.

The interface is fantastic and if you have a huge collection it is the best way to stay on top of your music and a great way to get your family and friends to interact with your hifi.

However, I have had some long term reliability issues that I find troubling,so I am wondering if I want to go back to Naim. At least I know I can get it fixed!

So, on the fence with Soolos at present.