Any Claire Martin fans out there

Posted by: calum scott on 17 April 2001

I did a search on the Music Room and only found a couple of references to Claire Martin and not a lot of detail.

I read somewhere that she's a better singer than Diana Krall, who I really enjoy listening to late at night, so I'm tempted to take the plunge and buy the Linn 3CD set which looks like a bargain on Audiostreet at GBP 15.

What do you think ... a bargain or has she done better stuff??

Help and recommendations please.

Thanks,

Calum

Posted on: 18 April 2001 by Pete
Well worth the entrance price. The records collected are older rather than being a bit duff. The actual box is instantly discardable (nothing much to it) and then you're left with just the standard CDs. "Off Beat" I particularly like, the lady swings well.

Pete.

Posted on: 18 April 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
Saw her live a number of years ago and was very impressed. She had an excellent range, both technically and musically and she sang as though she meant it.

Carol Kidd was also excellent live, and arguably has the better voice, but her choice of songs is less to my taste than Claire.

I've a couple of the Linn releases on vinyl, and I've enjoyed them immensely.

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 18 April 2001 by Pete
Richard, which one did you feel a bit duff? I haven't heard the last two (Take My Heart and Perfect Alibi), and the track listing on them both seemed a bit of an odd selection, away from her more obvious swinging strengths.

No problems with any of the others for me, though there are definitely different moods to each: "Make This City Ours" quite bit more upbeat than "Old Boyfriends", for example.

Still haven't got any Carol Kidd... any particular ones to go for?

Pete.

[This message was edited by Pete on WEDNESDAY 18 April 2001 at 14:59.]

Posted on: 18 April 2001 by Frank Abela
I have Claire Martin's earlier albums. The first one she came out with was excellent I thought, though I don't play it often. Old Boyfriends is also a good album. I think she connects with me more than Diana Krall, though Claire is on vinyl whereas Diana is on CDs, so that may not be fair.

My problem with Carol Kidd's albums is that - with the exception of 'Nice Work', they're all slow ballady songs - on all her albums! 'Nice Work' is fantastic.

Eva Cassidy is well worth a listen in this mould as well. Her 'Time after Time' album is the best I think.

Regards,
Frank.