I hate packaging

Posted by: Spock on 26 November 2003

I’ve just purchased an interactive story telling bear for one of my kids for Xmas. To save the hassle on Xmas day I thought I’d open it, stick the batteries in the bear and the handset and then shove it back in the box, job done.

However some sadist git at the manufacturing plant has decided they would secure the bear to the box with about eight twisted wire things. These wire things are twisted over and over until they cannot be twisted any further and then just in case they come undone they tape over the wire so you cant get to the ends to undo them.

What should have been a relatively straight forward exercise turns into a 15 minute "blue air" affair which resulted in me venting my anger on Mrs Spock and hoofing the stupid bear the length of the kitchen.

What the hell is wrong with these packaging people ?

Spock
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by BLT
That's nothing, you should try opening the individual catering portions of Marmite. I defy anyone to do this without covering their hands with the stuff.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by domfjbrown
...there's a simple answer to the first couple of posts - don't have kids! Smile Or buy them Lego so you can play with it too...

Those individual catering sachets are evil - ANY of them are nightmares to get into. What about microwave meals - "remove covering, stir, recover" - OK, so we try to do that and the bloody lid rips so then it ends up falling into the food on the second cooking cycle - lovely...

What would have followed if you had.

Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Mick P
John

Do not buy any more cheap stuff from Argos.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by garyi
Damn right on the marmite things, they are increadbly hard.

Also this new fashion of individually wrapped tea bags, for christs sake.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Mick P
Tom

The reason for heavy packing is the fact that we are now in the global economy and consumer goods are exported all over the world and get banged about in the process.

Heavy packing ensures that the goods leave the manufacturer in good condition and that the end user receives them in the same good condition.

That is the reason and the high cost of packaging is more than offset by the savings made from low cost sourcing.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by J.N.
It is indeed most illogical.

You look a lot calmer now.
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by Spock
Yep calmed down now. Not a bad photo either.

Spock

It's packaging Jim, but not as we know it.
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by domfjbrown
quote:
Originally posted by Mick Parry:
Do not buy any more cheap stuff from Argos.

My mate's just been made redundant, and as an emergancy measure (he's fully qualified IT btw) he's working on the till/warehouse in Argos...

...some of the trends he's seen are interesting; one of the biggest sellers is these "lifelike" animal pets that purr/woof when you stroke them etc, and the packaging even has airholes and "do not cover" on it!

The most audiophile component he's seen so far is a Sony clock radio, but he HAS managed to (accidentally, so he claims!) drop an Alba mini system down the conveyor - the thing exploded with a nice crunching tinkling noise at the bottom. Result!

What would have followed if you had.