Integrating NAC52 with AV2

Posted by: Dandy on 20 September 2005

Hi,

I'm currently using a DVD5 and AV2 into 3 x NAP135s for front and 2 x NAP250 rear and surround. I would like to connect a NAC52/Supercap to the front L and R 135s for stereo CD replay from the DVD5, but still allow the AV2 to drive them for DVD replay.

Can anyone suggest the best way of doing this please? I can think of a couple of ways but would like to hear from anyone with a similar setup/experience. If there's compromise needed I would like to maximise the quality of CD replay rather than DVD.

Cheers,
Dave
Posted on: 20 September 2005 by Stuart M
I believe that Naim can do a "Unity Gain" mod on the 52 so when you select (AV or I think AUX if the 52 is an older model) you do not need to change the position of the volume control as it will feed straight through. (Just sent my 102 in for this).

You can then use the digital out from the DVD5 to the AV2 and use Left and Right from AV2 to the AV input of the 52. The Left and Right from the DVD5 can go to the CD input of the 52.

Don't know anyone who's got a setup like this so I'd advise droping naim an email to see what they suggest unless Adam wants to drop into the thread and add his comments.
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by Dandy
Thanks Stuart, this is the answer I wanted because the other connection options involved setting the 52 volume to a known level for use with AV.
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by Jay
252 has it in-built Andy Big Grin
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by graham55
Jay

So? How does that help someone who wants to use a 52?

Graham
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by neil w
i had my 52 done by naim
you loose a tape input and gain a av input
well worth the money

neil
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by graham55:
Jay

So? How does that help someone who wants to use a 52?

Graham

It was a joke Graham. I know Andy Roll Eyes
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by graham55
Jay

Fairy nuff!

G
Posted on: 21 September 2005 by Adam Meredith
Although a hard-wired option, unity gain on a 52 acts just like that on the later preamplifiers (where it is enabled through software).
For most (in my system) of the time you have an uncompromised 2 channel set-up. Press AV and then all volumes are set by the AV2 - effectively bypassing the 52 and giving the processor access to the two front channel amplifiers and their associated speakers.
Posted on: 22 September 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by graham55:
Jay

Fairy nuff!

G

You calling me a fairy now Winker
Posted on: 22 September 2005 by graham55
Jay

So sorry, my butch old mate!

G
Posted on: 22 September 2005 by Jay