Microwave interference

Posted by: nap-ster on 17 August 2008

Running an Airport Express over a wireless network I find that the stream cuts out whenever I put the microwave on.

In short: Do I need a new microwave?
Posted on: 17 August 2008 by james n
The microwave is on the same frequency and if the signal strength is marginal then it can cause drop outs (take a look at the signal strength using the airport admin utility).

The other thing you could have is a particularly leaky microwave - seals do go after a time ... as long as you dont feel yourself getting warm then you'll be ok Winker

James
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by winkyincanada
And I thought it was just me. I was nuking my cereal this morning and my music kept stopping. "Surely not" I mused. Well now I know....
Posted on: 21 August 2008 by Jono 13
quote:
Originally posted by nap-ster:
Running an Airport Express over a wireless network I find that the stream cuts out whenever I put the microwave on.

In short: Do I need a new microwave?

No, just live without the microwave. They are horrible things that cook food so that it tastes wrong and looks raw! Plus the door seal donot last forever and the 800/1000W of energy whizzing around inside will start to escape.

Also try hardwiring the the Airport for better sound quality if you can.

Jono
Posted on: 01 September 2008 by nap-ster
Well I went out and bought a new microwave. Lo and behold the interference doesn't happen any more.