VHS Hifi fault, or knackered tweeter???

Posted by: domfjbrown on 09 March 2005

I've not noticed this with DVD or TV or Laserdisc, but I was watching a VHS (widescreen) copy of "The fifth element" last night (forgotten just how good my VHS machine can be on good tapes actually Smile), and noticed the occasional "iffy" treble moment on some speech here and there (mainly Chris Tucker, admittedly!).

Now, is this due to VHS Hifi limitations, or is this my centre speaker? I was playing louder than normal last night, so it might explain a few things... Certainly, the usual VHS Hifi artefacts weren't in evidence, which is testament to the decent duplication job (for once) that they did on that "Fifth element" tape, but enquiring minds need to know...

Beavis and Butthead on VHS last week certainly sounded fine, so I'm inclined to blame the audio on the movie (I don't have the DVD to compare to unfortunately)...

Mmm... Milla Jovovich! (is it just me who digs redheads?????)

BTW, the kit in use last night was:
Sony 25F2U (it's still clear and bright, so no need to upgrade to widescreen just yet)
Philips Matchline 805 VHS
Yamaha DSP-E800
Rega Mira 2000 (for front L/R)
Rega Elas/Kytes (main fronts/rears)
Paradigm CC170 centre
Naim/Gale speaker cable/all Cambridge Audio interconnects and SCARTs

It's cheap compared to most of your systems, but for me it's only AV (music's my priority, on a system totally seperate).
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by andy c
HI Dom,
Does the fault occur regardless of VHS tape that is being played?

andy c!
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by domfjbrown
To be honest, I didn't bother to check... Like I say, BnB last week sounded fine, and off-air was fine, so I'm inclined to suspect it's just the "Fifth element". It wasn't a show stopper by any means, and only in certain scenes...

I'm going to get the DVD soon-ish though - Play have the spesh edition with DTS for dirt(ish) cheap...
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by BigH47
quote:
is it just me who digs redheads?????

No (make sure misses isn't around,she's a brunnette).

Howard Big Grin
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by john rubberneck
Have you got the sound on the VHS set to mix i.e. hi-fi and normal that would give you a phase error.
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by domfjbrown
John - it's definitely set to hifi only Smile I don't think the Philips can do mix, although it can do manual record levels Smile

Brunettes are cool in my book too Smile Never do get on with the majority of (real) blondes though - they really do seem to fit the stereotype Smile
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by john rubberneck
The only other thing that springs to mind is are the heads clean as this would possibly affect the sound as it is depth multiplexed in hi-fi mode.

Stuart
Posted on: 11 March 2005 by domfjbrown
Erm, well, picture-wise, it looks fine, and with (you guessed it!) BnB last night (two tapes) it sounded OK, so I reckon it's just the other tape...

That said, the heads probably could do with a clean - I'll have to invest in another wet/dry tape (I suspect the auto head cleaner in the machine's toast by now!).