Newbee to HC

Posted by: David Benson on 31 August 2005

Currently have all naim set up and want to move to HC, but will not give up Naim for all the tea in china.

Current system CD2,52 super + 135's all olive obviously. I am happy with 5:1, 7:1 is a bit OTT and has negilable WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)

What is the best option? an AV2 and 3 more 135s or can I get away with an new 150?

On that point what are the feeling around mixing new with olive?

db
Posted on: 31 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
David,

It seems to me that you are a man of some experience - I would use the same criteria that you have used building your main hi-fi.

That said here is my tuppence worth:

Like you I decided that 7.1 was OTT and use 5.1 - and am a happy chappy.

I have owned and listened to a wide range of good quality processors - and found that the AV2 just clicked with my Naim gear.

I find that the Naim AV majors on musical communication. If you want great sound stearing than I think you might prefer a different processor - but borrow a couple.

As you like the Olive series Naim why not be consistent? But I am sure you can arrange to listen to some gear.

What front end are you thinking of using?

Martin.
Posted on: 31 August 2005 by Johns Naim
Greetings

I would agree/second Martins comments re the AV2 and other processors. Really, the AV2 is a 'natural' for a Naim system, most especially if you like watching a lot of music videos.

Given the calibre of your amps, I'd suggest a 150 won't cut it.

One CAN get away with lesser amps and surround speakers, but if you want the full monty, go matched amps and speakers all round - its pretty much a pre-requisite for the best sound - everything else is simply more compromise, and hence less overall performance.

If not quite possible/workable, at least have the front three as closely matched as possible.

Dont forget a decent sub - by decent I mean something that can go truly infrasonic - for HT the digital drive Velodynes would be a pretty impresive place to start - and in their top models to finish as well!... Big Grin

Good luck with it..

Best regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 31 August 2005 by SimonJ
David,

With such a good from end, I'd stick with a 135 for the front and also get a quality center speaker that can keep up and match with whatever your fronts are.

I'd definately go for the AV2 as it will fit in well with what you already have.

As for the rears and to help with the WAF, I think you can get away with something a bit less than 2 x 135's though. Depending on the rear speakers you choose, you may be able to even get away with a 150, that will match an AV2 looks wise. If the speakers are a bit harder to drive though, then maybe a 200 or even a 250 may be better suited.

I personally use an AV2+175 to compliment my CDX2+282+250. The AV2 does fine as do the rears, but I quite often think that the center could do with a bit more.
Posted on: 01 September 2005 by karyboue
I do agree with all that has been said about identical amps. If you can, do it.

I have AV2 and 200+175 and strangely my 150+175 config. seemed more coherent in term of space. 200 is too "open and deep" compared to the 175 and produces a "funnel" impression (hard to explain in a non-native language). And center channel is a bit "poor and harsh" compared the fronts.

(I still dream of a NAP V200 1 or 3 ways, I don't care, but please add something between V175 and 3 x V145)