Iceland

Posted by: Martin D on 13 December 2003

Hi
After some "bog standard" type family breaks over the years we are off to Iceland over the New Year on a 4-day break on the spur of the moment. Anyone been before or know the ropes? Indeed, any Naim heads in Reykjavík fancy a beer? Is Naim sold in Iceland? We'd be interested on your thoughts out there!
Martin wife and 11-year-old twins
Posted on: 13 December 2003 by Tim Jones
Martin -

I spent a week there in September. It's possibly one of the strangest places I've ever been to.

First, it is cold. I mean cold - so pack your woolies and thick jackets. Second, when you arrive you might find it a little depressing at first. The drive from Keflavik is not very inspiring and odds-on the weather will not be good. You should persevere...

If you really want to see the place the best people are a firm called Reyjavik Excursions. You can choose from a range of things - from family friendly trips to the Blue Lagoon in the south west to all-out, all day 4x4 expeditions to the glacial regions. I highly recommend one of these - your family would fit into one of the truly scary big-tired 4x4s very nicely and the wilder bits of Iceland are really worth seeing. There's one expedition that ends with a skidoo ride (on you own skidoo...) at the top of one of the big glaciers - which makes for a really memorable day.

On Fridays and Saturdays everyone in Reyjavik goes out and gets totally hammered right through the night, and for a family this could be a bit noisy, especially if your hotel is centrally located. Most things are pretty expensive (because they have to be imported) and alcohol is especially pricey.

I have to say I saw not one hi-fi shop when I was there....

Tim
Posted on: 13 December 2003 by Roy T
It will be dark if not pitch black and very cold for most of the time and full of "party people" so prehaps searching through the tourist board (national and local + hotel front desk) for organised trips,outings and other family type entertainment would be a good idea. As the sun has been kicking up a storm over the last month or so and if the sky is clear you may well see the Northern Lights - a good show is something to remember.

Roy
Posted on: 13 December 2003 by Steve G
Martin,

After you get back please post a report as Iceland is a place I'd really like to visit.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 13 December 2003 by TomK
In 1982 we lived in Cumbernauld (10 miles north east of Glasgow). We bought what was then our dream house from an Icelandic businessman who used to go home for a few months every year because he couldn't handle the winters in Cumbernauld!
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Roy T
Mrtin, I have found these people give a good general idea of what to expect or indeed what to do in the land of Bjork.

Roy
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Justin
i would also like a full report about Iceland when you return. I am very interested in visiting in the near future. Looks like just my type of place.

Judd
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
In 1982 we lived in Cumbernauld (10 miles north east of Glasgow). We bought what was then our dream house

In Cumbernauld? I hope it wasn't in Abronhill...

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by TomK
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G:

In Cumbernauld? I hope it wasn't in Abronhill...

Regards
Steve

Greenfaulds. We left for California in 1987 when Burroughs closed.
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
Greenfaulds.

Is that near Palacerigg? If I recall correctly it's ok up there.

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Stephen H
It's like nowhere else on earth, and a fantastic place to visit.
The strangest thing about the place is the lack of trees anywhere, and the fact that 90% of the buildings are made out of concrete and brightly painted.

Top things to see are the Gulfoss (sp?) Falls, the Hot Springs at Geysir (Which is where the name for those sort of blow holes comes from).
Skiddoo trips are a great laugh.
A swim in the Blue Lagoon or one of the may outdoor heated pools if you're mad/brave enough. Be warned - it smells of rotting egg due to the Sulphur.

The Iclandic pony trekking was interesting (but do it on the last day, 'cause a) your a*se will be sore the day after and b) your clothes will stink of the horses). The Icelandic ponies are like Shetlands on steroids - they look pretty similar but are virtually as big as a horse. They also do exactly what they chose when they chose to do it. Don't be under any illusion that you are likely to have any control over the beast at all.

Everything is hideously expensive, especially booze.
Food is bizarre in the extreme - Puffin was an interesting experience, Pickled herring was foul.

It is definitely one of the places I want to go back to at some point.

Regards,
Steve.
Posted on: 16 December 2003 by BLT
My self and my wife spent a week driving around the island a few years ago. It was the best holiday we have ever had. The scenery goes from Scotland on steroids one minute to the Moon the next. Some of the hotels in the back of beyond were a bit primitive (they are often Schools in the winter and Hotels in the summer). Highlights of the hol were; riding snowmobiles over a glacier (we were the first ones there in the morning so it was just myself, my wife and the guide), whale watching in an old fishing boat out of Akurei, the geysers, Vitti (Icelandic word for Hell), Gulfoss falls and Thingvellir.
The only downsides are the cost of beer and the bizzarre nature of some of the food - dried fish "crisps" and buried-for-6-months sharkmeat come to mind...However, the seafood can be excellent.

Seriously, if you think that Iceland is your sort of holiday destination then you will love it.