a few strange HDX rippings

Posted by: Claus-Thoegersen on 01 October 2008

The HDX is still here, but not very much longer. I have ripped about 50 cds to the internal hd, and most records just works without problems or errors, except for 2 records.
The first a burnt copy of K.D. Lang Drag, cannot be ripped, and cannot even be played on the HDX. On my cd s3 it can be played without a problem.

The second is a Danish live double album, known to the database, but both cds in the box are of course having the same name. Unlike other double cds the HDX will only rip one cd of the 2. The last I rip is the cd that is stored on the HD. Both cds can without any problems be played from the cd drive in the HDX.
Posted on: 01 October 2008 by Manu
Claus, call your dealer/distributor a new software version has just been released. It may solve this kind of problems.
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Paul Stephenson
claus,not for much longer, do you mean as the hdx is on loan or because you have had a problem ripping 2 discs?. Disc 1 seems to be a cdrw? so amg might not recognise the disc and I am not sure about disc2, why not contact naim direct to seek advice. I am away right now and I am sure alan can help you, I believe he is alraedy in contact with you.
Posted on: 02 October 2008 by Phil Harris
Hi Claus,

The double album issue that you have would be down to the data provider returning the same name for discs 1 & 2 of the two disc set which means that when you rip the second disc it simply overwrites the first - the solution would be to rip the first disc, use Desktop Client to change the name from "Album Title" to "Album Title - Disc 1" then rip the second disc. That should resolve that one.

All the best.

Phil
Posted on: 03 October 2008 by Claus-Thoegersen
Is it the firmware for the player, the upgrads you get on cd?

I do not think it has arrived at my dealer, but it would be interesting to get before I have to return the HDX to my dealer.
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Harris:
Hi Claus,

The double album issue that you have would be down to the data provider returning the same name for discs 1 & 2 of the two disc set which means that when you rip the second disc it simply overwrites the first - the solution would be to rip the first disc, use Desktop Client to change the name from "Album Title" to "Album Title - Disc 1" then rip the second disc. That should resolve that one.

All the best.

Phil

Phil, if I understand you correctly, the decision to overwrite is based solely on the disc name? If so, wouldnt it be wiser not to overwrite by default but to append "-1" or something instead to the second disc title automatically?

IE what would happen today if I had two discs called "The Ring", one from say "ZZTop" and another from "R Wagner" ;-)
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by pcstockton
This is crazy, a $9000 bit of kit should work FLAWLESSLY. in every way.

Just release a DAC already...... if you want a piece of the "new" market.

But please leave the computing to computers. I would imagine that the tiny demographic of "those without computers" can go find an HDX like product elsewhere.

Everyone else (98%) has a computer and requires only an audiophile level external DAC.

-2cents
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by John R.
@ pcstockton: The problem is not Naim HDX, it is the internet database that is not good enough and the same data base would be used with your PC when you rip your CDs.
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by David Dever
quote:
IE what would happen today if I had two discs called "The Ring", one from say "ZZTop" and another from "R Wagner" ;-)

They're stored in different artist folders, for one (unless you know of a ZZ Top Ring cycle that I don't). Roll Eyes
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by gary1 (US)
PC

In fact, I've been ripping my CD's on the HDX and it has access to more than one data base (AMG and FreeDb). So far a few CD's have not been located on one database, but were found on the other. Furthermore several CD's which I had ripped using Media Monkey and EAC for which I had to put in a large amount of data myself, especially the classical CD's, has thus far ripped without requiring me to do anything.

I've also had the issue with the 2 disc set and had to edit disc 1 as stated above before disc 2 could be ripped with EAC.

The HDX can only obtain the data it has access to. Garbage in garbage out as they say.
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by u5227470736789439
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
..., unless you know of a ZZ Top Ring cycle that I don't.

It would be an improvement on the original, whatever they did with it. IMO of course!

George
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Garbage in garbage out as they say.

Fine by me

Wonderful album

01. Super Vixen
02. Queer
03. Only Happy When It Rains
04. As Heaven Is Wide
05. Not My Idea
06. A Stroke Of Luck
07. Vow
08. Stupid Girl
09. Dog New Tricks
10. My Lover's Box
11. Fix Me Now
12. Milk

Think I'll give it a spin. Just plonk it on the CD player, press play and listen - now that's what I call easy of use. It is read-only too so as safe as it gets and I can have as many as I like with no problems about hard disk space - OK so I'd like solid state storage with no moving parts, but that's just around the corner.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 04 October 2008 by jon h
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
quote:

They're stored in different artist folders, for one (unless you know of a ZZ Top Ring cycle that I don't). Roll Eyes

Ah yes, of course. Makes sense.

I'll see if I can find a special NANA "Gimme all your Valkyrie" and "Sharp dressed Siegfried" and "Gotta Damn Me Rung" to bring with me to chicago in a fortnight :-)
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by garyi
John R, I have ripped many hundreds of cds with itunes and its never copied over one due to confusion.
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by Claus-Thoegersen
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Harris:
Hi Claus,

Actually it did almost, I had to insert cd 1 in the album name if I just appended cd 1 it did not work, maybe the length of the album name matters?
and here is the name enven though it makes little sense to most here:
Rygter fra randområderne.

The HDX also has problems with special characters, but I have not checked if it is the HDX or the FreeDB that is having the problem.

Claus

All the best.

Phil
Posted on: 05 October 2008 by e-h
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
John R, I have ripped many hundreds of cds with itunes and its never copied over one due to confusion.

I believe this is a bug. The software should never take such action without giving the user a choice.
Posted on: 07 October 2008 by Jedi
Is it just me or are most people missing the point?

pcstockton says just get a computer and an audiophile DAC, and all the lavry/studio DAC users obviously think the same thing. As do Linn evidently with the DS gubbins.

The problem with all this computer odyssey malarky is that everyone seems to have forgotten that most fundamental maxim 'source first'.

Naim, Linn, any HiFi dealer worth their salt and I'm sure most people on this forum KNOW that if you put rubbish in, you get rubbish out. How anyone thinks that some mass produced optical drive in some mass produced cheesy cheap (or expensive even) pc world offering (or MAC affair) is going to extract the best from a CD is entirely beyond me. Just read the 'CD Ripping' white paper on the Naim website and loads of the reasons are explained.

Beyond this, then most people think it's fine to compress their music, even using supposedly 'lossless' compressions, and this be ok. Surely if we wanted HiFi mediocrity, we would all be on the B&O website?

I reckon anyone who is pursuing the alternatives just can't get their brain around the fact that something which does the job properly, is handbuilt in the U.K., has taken a huge effort in R&D and is sublimely easy to use is a lot of money to buy. Them I'm afraid is the breaks.

Bit like buying a TATA or a Lambo, they both move.....