Should I install both HDMI cables and Component & S-video

Posted by: PatG on 30 May 2005

Hello

I am performing a permanent installation of a projector and am considering the connections to the DVD player.

Both will have HDMI connections.

The DVD playre will be at the other end of a 23 foot room and the projector will be ceiling mounted. and I will be running the cables under the floor & behing the wall.

My query is should I just install the HDMI cable or also do component. (and/or scart RGB?)

Is there any benefit/good reason for the extra expense (of long component cables) other than a "belt and braces" reason?

Thanks & Regards
Posted on: 31 May 2005 by Arun Mehan
There are many reasons for using multiple connections from a single device. For example, I connected a digital cable box via components to the TV and then via RCA to the VCR for recording purposes. It adds slightly to the expense because of more wires and make sure you have all the sound connections setup.

Actually if you install the HDMI, you won't be able to connect any other way. Because of the inherent copy protection, once you connect an HDMI connector, you won't be able to use the components and s-video. HDMI does supposedly give you the optimum performance, but components come pretty close. I am in North America so don't know too much about RGB although I heard it's better than components.

If you will be using advanced features such as Picture-in-Picture, stay away from HDMI as you will not be able to do anything from the video menu!