WMDs Finally Found!!

Posted by: ejl on 03 December 2003

http://cbs11tv.com/investigations/local_story_330180036.html

O.k., admittedly it was in Bush's home state of Texas, not Iraq. And it was a home-grown white supremacist group that built the WMD (along with having 100 other bombs and 500,000 rounds of ammo), not a foreign Islamic one. And the plot was discovered by accident while the FBI was searching for terror cells from the Middle East.

But I'm sure Fox News will be all over this soon. Roll Eyes

Texas has a lot of oil reserves that could pay for its invasion and subsequent occupation. And invading it would make good television too.

Eric
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Dan M
quote:

Texas has a lot of oil reserves that could pay for its invasion and subsequent occupation. And invading it would make good television too.

Unfortunately it's full of religious fundamentalists -- you'll never be able to establish a democracy. Wink

cheers

Dan
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Joe Petrik
Eric,

Did you know that Fox almost sued, ummm, Fox?

From http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/03/132.html:

"For some reason Fox News seems to be on a constant crusade to prove how stupid its viewers are. First they tried to sue Al Franken because they claimed that the front cover of his book could be confused for a Fox News product (hey, considering the word "lies" appears on it in big letters, maybe they had a point). But apparently this isn't the first time that Fox News honchos have demonstrated their complete inability to understand satire by threatening a frivolous lawsuit - they once hilariously threatened to sue another Rupert Murdoch-owned enterprise, "The Simpsons." "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening revealed this tidbit on NPR's "Fresh Air" program last week, telling interviewer Terry Gross that Fox News threatened to sue if an episode spoofing the news channel was aired. The episode featured, among other digs at Fox News, a ticker scrolling across the bottom of the screen displaying vehemently anti-Democratic party slogans. Groening called their bluff and went ahead with the show because he assumed that Rupert Murdoch wouldn't be stupid enough to sue himself, but apparently there is now a rule at Fox which says that "The Simpsons" isn't allowed to spoof Fox News anymore. Why? Because they don't want Fox News viewers to get confused. Now, we've known for a long time that Fox News viewers can't tell the difference between real life and a cartoon, but to hear Fox News themselves admit it is really quite fascinating."

More here.

Joe
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by ejl
When you think about it, the Bush Administration's mistake is completely understandable, especially given the massive intelligence failure of the CIA.

In principle, Bush was right. We now know that there really is a state with an advanced and active WMD program, which program is linked to terrorist cells and is bent on the destruction of Americans. Despite years of protest by the U.N. of its violent persecution of ethnic and racial minorities, this state remains the among the most brutal regimes worldwide. And, of course, it's full of religious fundamentalists, as you say Dan.

But this mistake all belongs to the past, as Rummy would be sure to point out. The only question now is, who's going to invade Texas?

I propose France. France and Texas are about the same size, as this comparison with BC (also an invasion target IMO) shows:

So it would be an even fight. And Chirac and Bush don't like each other very much, so there'd be a fine opportunity for a mano-a-mano grudge match. Fox would be there to broadcast the whole thing, of course.

The more I read, the more I just want to watch Faux News. Smile
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by ErikL
Those newsticker headlines are great:

"Pointless news crawls up 37 per cent... Do Democrats cause cancer? Find out at foxnews.com... Rupert Murdoch: Terrific dancer... Dow down 5,000 points... Study: 92 per cent of Democrats are gay... JFK posthumously joins Republican Party... Oil slicks found to keep seals young, supple..."

Does anyone even know what airs on Fox, besides The Simpsons?
Can we include Idaho as a target too? Plenty of freakazoid fundamentalists there.
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by ejl
It turns out that Idaho and the U.K. are also about the same size:

Mick has a shotgun, IIRC. That should even things up nicely.
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Rasher
Doh!
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Colin Lorenson
Could you please take down these BC maps. You guys are getting me worried and you don't want to be giving anyone any ideas,

I love BC. I've got a house there and I'd like the US to stay out of there thank you very much.

Yours
wondering what the f**k Bush will come up with next.

Colin Lorenson
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by Joe Petrik
Ludwig,

quote:
Does anyone even know what airs on Fox, besides The Simpsons?

24, King of the Hill, Futurama, American Idol, America's Most Wanted, Cops, Stupid Behavior Caught on Tape (lots of great football-in-the-groin footage), the *next* Joe Millionaire (because the first one wasn't enough), Malcolm in the Middle,... just to rattle off a few.

Frankly, they should stick with cartoons.

Joe
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by Mike Sae
Didn't Fox have ST:TNG in the halcyon days of broadcasting? I remember fondly their old line up- The Garry Shadling Show, The George Carlin Show, Married w/Children, In Living Colour...

Crap back then seemed classier...
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by ErikL
F*x

They also have a new show, "The Simple Life", featuring Paris Hilton and Lionel Ritchie's daughter living in a ratty house in Arkansas. How do I know? Natural manly curiousity had me watching the debut last night. Roll Eyes

It was the worst show I've ever seen. Paris and her friend are obnoxiously dumb and pompous, and frankly- not at all attractive. I can't imagine management at Fox expecting people to watch the series.
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by ejl
quote:
Could you please take down these BC maps. You guys are getting me worried and you don't want to be giving anyone any ideas.

I'm sorry Colin. Those BC maps are essential for comparison purposes.

You're definitely right about it being an attractive little package, though. Especially when you factor in its oil and gas reserves.
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by Colin Lorenson
ejl,

I work in oil and gas. When I retire to BC hopefully the moratorium on offshore drilling will still be in place.

Yours selfishly.
Colin Lorenson