new dvd required

Posted by: artist on 05 March 2005

i am after a new dvd player(can't afford naim)i was thinking of getting an Arcam new/used anyone
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by Adam Meredith
What is your question?
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by Tam
So you can't afford the, but that still leaves an awfully big range, from the £20 player you might pick up from the supermarket to machines well over a grand. Give us a budget and I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations.

regards,

Tam
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by long-time-dead
"Will there ever be a DVD555 ?"

There's a question .....
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by Tam
Actually naim has two new products in the pipeline. A dvd5s (powered by an xps2) and the dvd 556, powered by the cd555ps Winker
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by long-time-dead
... so the combined DVD-projector is not going to happen then ?
Posted on: 05 March 2005 by woody
Back to the real world - how much were you looking to spend? I have a Denon 2200 which is a pretty good DVD player that does everything I need (PAL progscan etc) and gives a good picture.

It doesn't have DVI though which is not an issue for me but I know its replacement does.
Posted on: 06 March 2005 by artist
I was thinking of spending upto £700,arcam is mentioned quite a lot and can be upgraded which is a bonus and as i use a lcd and plasma tv i would like to get the best out of it
Posted on: 06 March 2005 by Peps
I have an Arcam DV88+ in Black, I need to get rid of since getting DVD5.
Posted on: 06 March 2005 by Tam
quote:
Originally posted by Peps:
I have an Arcam DV88+ in Black, I need to get rid of since getting DVD5.

Did you read the rules?
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by Frank Abela
Artist

The Arcam products are good value for money. The DV78 retails for £700 and there are a few DV89s around going for under that (the 89's better). However, if you want to take advantage of DVI/HDMI, another good contender is the Denon DVD2910 - good machine.
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by andy c
HI,
I have a Denon 2910 DVD player - the DVI output into my Philips 32" LCD is really good - brill clarity and no motion blurring at all. Would recommend this machine with no probs at all.

Have a look at this:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=DVD+Player&manufacturer=15&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0#DenonDVD-2900

you may find the test results useful... If considering a Denon.

andy c!
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by artist
I am getting the arcam dv79,i will be using it with my philips 32" LCD,i was unaware that there is a DVI input
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by andy c
HI,
If your arcam outputs via dvi then I can recommend the Wireworld Chroma 5 dvi-dvi cable - very good and very clear...

andy c!
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by Mark R
The DV79 digital out is HDMI, but you can get HDMI -> DVI adapters for the receiving end, or use an HDMI - DVI cable.