Big Fat Xmas B*stard

Posted by: Spock on 18 November 2003

Seems I've been putting a few pounds on lately and with Xmas just round the corner I thought I might try and lose a bit of weight now in order that I can stuff my face at Xmas and not get fatter than I am already.

Thought I might try that Atkins diet for a quick fix and then sort out a proper diet and exerise regime in the new year.

Whatdaya reckon?

Spock
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by long-time-dead
Given that a woman in our work went on it, suffered kidney problems, serious halitosis an dlost a lot of weight and friends........

Why not ?
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Spock
Update...

Sorted out a basic menu which consists of:

Breakfast
Mon-Sun Bacon & Eggs

Dinner
Mon- Steak
Tue- Steak & Eggs
Wed- Steak and cheese
Thu- Steak bacon and cheese
Fri- Fish cheese and cream (If I don’t like the fish I might substitute with steak)
Sat - Steak & Sausages
Sun - Steak bacon cheese eggs sausages & cream
Dessert - Steak

Not to sure about lunch yet, I fancy steak sandwich but of course not allowed any bread so might just opt for Steak.

Spock
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by MichaelC
I have been on the Atkins diet (although not strictly adhering to it) for six weeks. I have lost approx 1 1/2 stone and the waist line has shrunk.

Don't get carried away with the idea though.

Many on this forum have commented on this before, particulalry when I posed a similar question. I don't know how to post the link for the thread but under find type in "atkins" and have a read.

A number of my friends were not keen on the idea of my trying the Atkins diet. I understand that it can have bad side effects particularly for longer term dieters. I am following their advice and coming off the diet (gradually).

It does foul up your breath.

I yearn for toast!?!!!

I have re-introduced carbs eg bread, rice, pasta but in moderation. The diet has changed my eating habits for the better. No chocolate and I do not miss it. No munching on biscuits during the day and I do not miss them either.

My appetite has reduced - definitely a good thing.

I have also been taking vitamin supplements.

Hope this helps but do please read the earlier thread for more detail and comments.

Good luck

Mike
Posted on: 18 November 2003 by Spock
Mike

Some good advice. If I do go this route it will only be for a few weeks up until Xmas, if I could lose half a stone maybe a shade more I would be delighted.

After that - It's down the gym and a proper balanced diet again. Fortunately the Gym's not very far as I have got one in the garage! I've got no real excuse for being a fat Xmas b*stard. However, I blaim Naim (Nice Rhyme)as the only exercise I've been getting since I purchased my system has been the walk between the CD player and the sofa.

I'll check out the thread you mentioned.

Shame about the "bad breath" syndrome, I wonder if all that Steak causes a fart problem as well ?

Regards

Spock
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Rasher
Can someone tell me if the fat people in Florida have the same mortality rate as us fat brits?
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Alves:
Weight loss? High altitude mountaineering is the best way, especially if combined with Delhi belly

Tom

Actively enjoying it all

Unfortunately there aren't too many mountains around here Smile

Mike
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by Spock:
Shame about the "bad breath" syndrome, I wonder if all that Steak causes a fart problem as well ?

Regards

Spock

Spock

I'll let you discover for yourself Wink

Regards

Mike
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Bhoyo
quote:
Originally posted by Rasher:
Can someone tell me if the fat people in Florida have the same mortality rate as us fat brits?

Nope. They all live forever. And even though they can't see, hear, walk, or respond to any kind of external stimuli, they still have drivers licenses.

And the South Beach Diet is much better than Atkins. There's also a good Canadian version, which I think is available in the UK, called The GI Diet, by Rick Gallop.
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Andrew Randle
Why avoid all carbohydrates when you can avoid refined sugar and refined carbohydrates, and drink enough water?

Andrew

Andrew Randle
Linn Binn Sinner
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Mike Hanson
It doesn't take much:

I eat whatever I want, but in small portions. I do 10 minutes of light weights in the morning, walk briskly for at least 30 minutes daily, and drink lots of water (at least 10 cups/day). I also permit myself to "over-indulge" once or twice per week, to make my regular routine more bearable (not that I'm suffering).

For the past three months I've been losing an average of 1.21 lbs per week. Currently 167 lbs, I'm at the lowest weight that I've been as an adult, down from a high of 202 lbs, 15 months ago (and 214 back in the early 90's). I'm working towards my theoretically "perfect" weight of 160 lbs, which I should achieve by the end of January (even considering Christmas indulgences).

I've also come to realize that what is considered "normal" by most people in the western world is actually gluttony. In addition, I'm surprised at the number of people who say I'm too skinny, when my doctor says that I'm still above my ideal weight.

Most people's perceptions are really screwed up!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Spock
Tom

It all makes perfect sense. Putting weight on is a sneaky pyschological thing. You go through a long period of denial and then wake up one morning and realise just how fat you've become and wonder how you ever let it get that bad.

I would also like to blame Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco, the local curry house , the pub, pizza hut, burger king, Frank & Benny's , Mrs Spock and Tony Blair for my current fat b*stard condition.

Good news is I'm 3Ibs lighter this morning (I think this is a fluke)

Spock
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Mike Sae
quote:
Why avoid all carbohydrates when you can avoid refined sugar and refined carbohydrates, and drink enough water?

What Andrew really meant was

why not suck all the joy out of life and drink loads of water.

Over the past two years I've eaten *anything* I damn well please but worked out moderately alternating between pigiron and running after work and lost 50 lbs, 4 inches around the waist and a couple chins. Seeing my penis for the first time was also a treat.
OK, I'm no Ross Blackman but I feel good.

My point is I believe you can maintain a slovenly western diet as long as you're active doing whatever. No need to count calories or cut out the entire baked goods section.

Your stereo sounds better too, after sweating to the oldies for an hour no joke.

PS congrats Mike!!!!
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by ejl
Another Atkins Testimonial

My father tried the Atkins diet a few Xmases ago. Watching him eat a pork-chop sandwiched between two hamburger patties (the "bun") was so disgusting that it helped me to stop eating meat entirely.

Since then I've lost weight and feel much better.

Eric
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by long-time-dead
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sae:
Seeing my penis for the first time was also a treat.

Sounds like an open invitation for all Canadian Naimee's to visit and pay homage...... Eek
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by ejl
Actually, I think Mike's about to begin his trans-Canadian ramble -- sans the culturally conditioned encumberance of clothing, of course.

The message: He can eat anything he damn well pleases, while everyone still enjoys the treat of seeing his penis for the first time.

That Canadian winter's coming on Mike. Best get to it.
Posted on: 19 November 2003 by Onthlam
Mike H.:

It is true...
I have always known that I am where I need to be as soon as folks tell me I look sick or way too thin..

Marc
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by Mike Hanson
quote:
Originally posted by Spock:
Good news is I'm 3Ibs lighter this morning (I think this is a fluke)

This is something that really intrigues me. For curiosity's sake, I often weight myself right before I go to bed, and then right after I get up. I'm usually 1.5 to 2.5 pounds lighter in the morning. I realize that my urine contributes somewhat to this, although weighing in before and after relieving myself shows that this is rarely more than half a pound. Where do the other 1-2 pounds go?

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
quote:
Over the past two years I've eaten *anything* I damn well please but worked out moderately alternating between pigiron and running after work and lost 50 lbs, 4 inches around the waist and a couple chins.

PS congrats Mike!!!!

When you visited me, I just assumed that you were another one of those skinny bastards. Razz Thanks, and congrats yourself!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by Mike Sae
Hey Mike, the weight thing in the morning intrigues me too.

Surely someone here has an answer...
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by Mike Sae
Do we really exhale upwards of 2kg in water at night?

I figured that sleep is time spent out of the Matrix, and at that time our bodies are extracted of its useful nutrients.
quote:
Originally posted by James:
Perspiration and water loss through breathing ...

If I were sweating off a pound of water overnight, wouldn't you expect my sheets to be damper in the morning? Eek

I suspect that it's more than water loss. When you consider that we inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, the carbon atoms required to bond with the lost oxygen must weigh something. I just wonder whether we keep more mass in oxygen than we give up in carbon dioxide.

There must be somebody who has the answer to this dilemma!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by Spock
While pondering the answer to this dilemma it occurred to me that if I slept all the way to xmas I would lose the required weight and wake up skinny again, thus avoiding bad breath syndrome, kidney disease and potential wind issues.

However a proper scientific explanation of the overnight weight loss situation is still required....

Spock
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by Markus S
quote:

I figured that sleep is time spent out of the Matrix, and at that time our bodies are extracted of its useful nutrients.

Protein is best harvested shortly before or after sleep.
Posted on: 20 November 2003 by ET
take a look at the "blood type diet" that has you eating certain foods based on your blood type and supposed genetic makeup for your bodies ability to process certain foods better. Also must second the water and at least some light exercise. I also note that I eat like a pig when I am simply bored. My yoga buddy friends used to always say we should never eat more than we can hold in our cupped hands (no stacking), of course we prefered drinking anyway.....hope this helps a little.
Posted on: 21 November 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
Although metabolic rate slows overnight you still use a signficant number of calories at rest, metabolising stored glycogen and/or fat as you do so. This generates heat-keeping you nice and warm as it does. We generate heat at the rate of approx 1Kw/hr if my memory serves.

You'll therefore lose weight overnight if you do not take in any calories to compensate.

Relative dehydration is not just through sweating but also respiration as exhaled air has a high water content.

May also be the issue of wether you weigh yourself before or after a trip to the bathroom...

Bruce