Freeview TV and aerials

Posted by: John3 on 05 November 2003

Just bought a Sony freeview digibox and surprise surprise I can only pick up a few channels. The chap in the shop advised that an aerial upgrade may be necessary. I have phoned an aerial installer who is insisting that I should also upgrade all the downleads since digital requires a different type of cable (double screeened I think he said). Anyone know if this is really the case or will I get away with just a replacement aerial? I really don't want to change all the cabling as at the moment it is all neatly buried in the walls.
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Paul Ranson
Back in the OnDigital days they did a subsidised aerial upgrade deal, £40 regardless I think. Anyway we got a new aerial and they just installed a new downlead because it was quicker. It's standard UHF coax, worked fine for digital. I don't see why you would need anything more. Satellite is different connectors and cable.

Paul
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by Derek Wright
Depends where you live but most likely you will need a wideband aerial. The improved co ax may be needed to get the best out of the signal

Check out
http://www.dtg.org.uk/
for the DTT POstcode database to check what channels you should be able to receive.

There is lots of chat and useful information at the
uk.tech.digital-tv
newsgroup

It is worthwhile getting a good aerial installer to do the work.

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 05 November 2003 by John3
Thanks, this is a useful site.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Chris Metcalfe
I had a local aerial expert round to fit a 'digital' aerial and new upgraded cable. Can get all channels now.