Re: External Scaler for DVD5

Posted by: cchua1 on 13 May 2005

I'm a satisfied owner of DVD5. Most DVDs look great in my Pioneer PDP505 plasma. However, satellite TV through my Astro produces a picture that truly sucks (patchy). Have been asking around for an external scaler that can solve the problem and further improve upon the DVD5 already great video quality. Naim's web-site has been talking about a scaler that can output 1080p and accept SD video. Anybody knows anything about this forthcoming device? Any DVD5 owner who has positive experience with an external scaler?
An AV3 with improved preamp would also be really great. There's a separate thread on this.
Posted on: 13 May 2005 by Richard Dane
Hi cchua,

I can only give you the basics at the moment but I can confirm there will be a scaler card available for the DVD5 later this year. This will be a serious hardware solution and you can also use it to scale outboard devices such as VCR, satellite or TV as the Scart socket on the DVD5 will be used to input through the DVD5.

That's all the information I can give you right now.

Richard
Posted on: 13 May 2005 by neil w
richard

will the scaler card be internal fit or external
there was a ruomer that you could either have a dvd5 with dvd audio or a dvd5 with scaler and not both
but there are some people who would like both ( me included )

thanx neil
Posted on: 13 May 2005 by SimonJ
I think the scaler will be internal. Anyone got any rough ideas on pricing as this will win the external scaler or internal to DVD5 route argument for me?

An internal scaler that only has an input via SCART will surely be no where near as flexible as an external scaler such as the iScan or Lumagen at £1000ish. These external scalers have Component, RGB and HDMI/DVI inputs so will also be compatible with the up and coming HD SKY too. They are also infinatley tweakable so that you can match the output resolution and frequency to the prefered working resolution of your screen. Not everything works best at 720p@50Hz or 1080i@50Hz and some screens have really weird prefered resolution inputs that when chosen the picture suddenly snaps into focus. I you have ever tried setting a computer flat panel to it's non prefered/native resolution you will know what I mean!
Posted on: 15 May 2005 by neil w
i agree with simon inputing thru scart will be very limiting
the meridian g98 dvd inputs thru svhs / component / composite and can then scale and output thru the above plus hdmi

neil
Posted on: 18 May 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Neil W

The meridian only inputs through s-video and composite. It can then change this to HDMI or component. There is however no component intput.

I really don't see the scart as that limiting you can have s-video to scart, component to scart. if the scart is designed to accept this signals I don't see it as a problem.

However I always thought Naim might have problems adding this on at the end. Makes me wonder if the VS1 might do all this and more. Thats if its still due to come out.

Neill
Posted on: 18 May 2005 by cchua1
Thks for the posts to my original query.
I'm hoping the Naim scaler will be available soon. Ditto an AV3 with a preamp section comparable to the 282.
Was hoping to hear from DVD5 users who have positive experience with external scalers like iScan and Lumagen. The newer versions of these scalers have DVI inputs/outputs.
I'm actually quite happy with the DVD5 video quality as it is and wondering if a scaler (internal/external) can offer further improvement to my HD plasma display. Maybe I only need to invest in a low-end external scaler for my satellite TV and save quite a bit of money.
Posted on: 18 May 2005 by neil w
neil

meridians website states
g98 dvd audio transport
2 composite / 3 s video / 1 component inputs

composite / component / s video / hdmi outputs

quite a lot better than 1 scart input , especially when you want to input and scale more than one thing

neil
Posted on: 18 May 2005 by Mark R
Scart input scaling is only appropriate for those countries that use scart and is not a lot of use for those of us in countries that don't ... in this situation it makes more sense to go with an external scalar, as cchua1 mentions. For example, the new iScan HD+ can take DVI input and scale; Lumagen apparently have a software solution to take 480i through a DVI input, and both have other inputs too e.g. s-video, component.

Will be interesting to see the details of the DVD5 scalar when it becomes available.
Posted on: 19 May 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Neil W

Which Meridian DVD player are you talking about, I own the G98 and can tell you know there is no component input. The g91 might be different not sure about that. I also know that certain g68 Av preamps have a component input.

Neill
Posted on: 19 May 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Neil w

I take it back just had my head down the back of my rack and your right there is a component input.

Neill
Posted on: 19 May 2005 by neil w
neil

whats it like

neil
Posted on: 20 May 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Neil

I had a Linn Unidisk 2.1 for about eight months but it kept breaking down so I was able to get the Meridian machine from the dealer. As a DVD player picture and sound wise I have not seen or heard anything better.
I use the AV2 so it seems to work well. However the real icing on the cake is when you add on the Meridian G68 AV/Preamp, as a combo in my current system its simply breathtaking. It makes the AV2 sound well just plain. I have not tried it against the DVD5 so I can't say how it does that way, but I have tried it against a Krell,Arcam and Moon DVD players and it wiped the floor with them all. As you can tell I don't use the video switching side, but that more than makes it a perfect match for the Naim AV2.

As a Cd player it really takes some beating too, the detail and sound stage are excellent. Have a try if your in the market

Neill