laptop to SuperNait problem.

Posted by: Bluetorric on 31 July 2008

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help, I have ben playing FLAC lossless music from my laptop to Supernait using the 3.5 jack SPDIF out of laptop to 3.5 jack front panel analogue/digital input of the SN with quite good results.
However I thought I would run a digital 3.5 jack from the laptop to RCA coaxial input on the back panel of the SN, and low and behold I can't get a peep out of it, where am I going wrong, help please...........
Posted on: 31 July 2008 by garyi
You need to read the manual, sounds like you have not programmed the supernait to use set input.

The SN has a maximum of 6 inputs that can be used at anyone time, but it has lots of inputs on the back. Programme one of the rear analogues over to digital.
Posted on: 31 July 2008 by Keith L
Which laptop are you using?
Posted on: 31 July 2008 by Bluetorric
I am using an Acer 5002WIMi operating XP.
I already have a digital optical feed from a freeview box which works very well...........
Did you try that input?

It seems very odd that it works on the front and not the back.

Check the freeview input.
I can't do that as the laptop does not have an optical output......
I am thinking that the 3.5mm front Supernait socket is analogue/digital and the output from the laptop is analogue and that is why it worked, now connecting to the SNs digital input is why its not working.
Do I have to do anything to the laptop to ensure digital output......
Hi,

I am totally confused. You say your Acer doesn't have optical output and yet you're stuffing a mini toslink into the 3.5mm audio jack, and then connecting it to the SN front panel 3.5mm socket.

I think the SN front panel 3.5mm socket is analog only.

As far as I kow you cannot get a cable which converts from 3.5mm mini toslink to coax. I think you are confusing analog with digital.

Enlighten me please.

Keith
My cable is 3.5mm into the SPDIF/headphone socket going to the 3.5mm front imput of the SN which is dual analogue and mini toshlink, that cable works well.
What I want to do is use another coaxial cable with a 3.5mm minijack out of the same SPDIF from the laptop to an RCA plug on the other end into the coaxial digital input of the SN.
The reason I want to change cables is I have another use for the SN front socket, confusing I know its doing my head in ......
I have just read that the SN front panel 3.5mm socket is indeed a combined analog and optical socket. My question still remains... how do you get digital optical output from your Acer laptop.
A 3.5mm mini toslink jack has a golden bulbous end and no other metal contacts. It looks very different from a 3.5mm headphone jack which has three separate metal contacts.
Posted on: 31 July 2008 by james n
3.5mm audio cable

Mini toslink cable

What are you using ?

The laptop has an optical SPDIF output built into the line out connector. You need to use an optical cable if you want the 'digital' signal to be processed by the Naits DAC (like the TV box)

James
Looking at the spec for the acer it does not have any digital out.

To connect it to your supernait you need a stereo minijack to phonos or stereo mini jack to din. Ignore the digital inputs.
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by james n
Ah... the Ferrari Roll Eyes version of this seems to have, I quote - 1 x Speaker/ headphone/ line-out jack with S/PDIF support.

Buy a Mac Smile

James
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by Bluetorric
I thought that the SPDIF out from the laptop is a digital coaxial output.
The statement that you need an optical to be digital is wrong, I have a coaxial digital out from my CD player feeding the SNs DAC it it works incredibly well............
quote:
The statement that you need an optical to be digital is wrong, I have a coaxial digital out from my CD player feeding the SNs DAC it it works incredibly well............

But you dont have a coaxial digital output from your laptop - if you do have digital out then its optical SPDIF via a Toslink optical cable (rather than SPDIF via coaxial cable)
Would the answer be to get an external usb soundcard with an optpcal/coaxial digital out. Do you think this would solve the problem, as I am otherwise quite happy with the laptop and have no wish to get a mac.........
I'd confirm first whether your latop can support a Toslink output. If it can then use a Toslink cable to connect it to your other optical input (d2 and d4 are optical inputs on the SN) you say your CD player is using one at the mo ?

If the laptop doesnt support Toslink then a USB / SPDIF adaptor could be the way to go. Quite a few threads in this section on this.

Good luck.

James
Thanks James, I will look into it,

I found this explanation of SPDIF ,it may help other non mac users.

A common use for the S/PDIF interface is to carry compressed digital audio as defined by the standard IEC 61937. This mode is used to connect the output of a DVD player to a home theater receiver that supports Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound. Another common use is to carry uncompressed digital audio from a CD player to a receiver. This specification also allows for the coupling of personal computer digital sound (if equipped) via optical or coax to Dolby or DTS capable receivers.
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by garyi
With respect Blue, its not us that is confused.

Does your Acer laptop have a digital output on it or not?
quote:
S/PDIF

Well with respect I will have to disagree, the opinion it seems is that unless a computer has an optical output ie mac then it is not a digital output, mine has a S/PDIF output which is a coaxial output and is digital " see above " I am simply saying that a PC can also be used.

The line " get a mac " as if it is the only machine that can be used for this use is simply wrong...........
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Bluetorric
quote:
The line " get a mac " as if it is the only machine that can be used for this use is simply wrong...........
I think you have lost the plot here - no-one is saying that only a Mac has digital out but you have confused the heck out of everyone with all you cable descriptions early on in this thread.

Cheers

Jim
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by imperialline
Hi Bluetorric,

In theory, S/PDIF output is digital unless something weird about your Acer.

Can you test it with another DAC? or double check the volume / connection settings.
quote:

Yes the 'get a Mac' line was a joke. Sorry to add to the confusion.

What does it say in your user manual about ANY digital output from you Acer ?

AS stated before - you find out that and then (and this could take a while) we might be able to help you Smile

James
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by garyi
I would suggest its rare for a laptop to have a coaxial output on it, more than like its a yellow Svideo output.
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by imperialline
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
I would suggest its rare for a laptop to have a coaxial output on it, more than like its a yellow Svideo output.

Gary,
According to the Acer 5002WIMi spec., it does indeed have the line-out jack with S/PDIF support.