Nsats/Sub/Centre

Posted by: blythe on 20 July 2005

I am seriously considering an overhaul of my Naim surround setup, currently using the AV2, a 175 and a 150 into FRONT: Intro 2's, REARS: Royd The Minstrel SE, CENTRE: a pair of Rega somthings (recent bookshelf but can't remember the model).

I am thinking in terms of n-SATS all round, with the n-CENT, and an n-SUB.

Any comments or thoughts??????

Feedback appreciated Smile
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Richard Dane
Blythe,

don't forget that if you can accomodate floorstanders, the Arivas work superbly with the n-system. If you have large room then substituting the front L&R n-Sats with a pair of Arivas works brilliantly.

Richard
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Nick_S
Are the wallmounts available for the n-Sats yet, or still under development at NAIM?

Nick
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Richard Dane
Nick,

the wall brackets are now available. Contact your dealer if you wish to order some...

Richard
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Nick_S
Richard,

Thanks for the information --- it's time I went for a demonstration of the n-Sats.

Nick
Posted on: 21 July 2005 by Neil Bennett
Blythe,

I recenty upgraded my surround speakers. I had ntended to go for Arivas at the front, just to have something different to the rears, but I am planning a change of room for the AV system and would listen to a bit more music in the new set-up. I demo'd Arivas and Allaes and of course Allaes were much better, with a smaller footprint. Got a good deal on some ex-dem Allaes and an Axess so went for those, with N-SATS and stands for rears.

In your case why not try for ex-dem Allaes, use the Intro 2's as rears for a while and get either an N-Cent or Axess, dependent on what's around, + the sub. Then get the N-SATS next upgrade round. Incidentally a trusted dealer recently told me that in a 175/150 set-up Naim recommended using the 175 for fronts/centre and the 150 for the rears. Might be worth a try?

Neil
Posted on: 22 July 2005 by blythe
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
Blythe,

don't forget that if you can accomodate floorstanders, the Arivas work superbly with the n-system. If you have large room then substituting the front L&R n-Sats with a pair of Arivas works brilliantly.

Richard

Thanks for the tip Richard - however, I'm a little concerned that I will have to place the speakers close to if not in the corners of the room. I suspect the Arivas might become bass heavy in that situation?

One of the reasons for the propsed change is "the look".

I'm moving to a modern house and want a more contempary look - with a Plasma on the wall etc. I think the Intro 2's will look too "old fashioned" - that's why I'm really looking at n-SATS etc.
Arivas would look better (do look better) than Intro 2's so I might just have to listen to both options Smile
Posted on: 22 July 2005 by blythe
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bennett:
Blythe,

I recenty upgraded my surround speakers. I had ntended to go for Arivas at the front, just to have something different to the rears, but I am planning a change of room for the AV system and would listen to a bit more music in the new set-up. I demo'd Arivas and Allaes and of course Allaes were much better, with a smaller footprint. Got a good deal on some ex-dem Allaes and an Axess so went for those, with N-SATS and stands for rears.

In your case why not try for ex-dem Allaes, use the Intro 2's as rears for a while and get either an N-Cent or Axess, dependent on what's around, + the sub. Then get the N-SATS next upgrade round. Incidentally a trusted dealer recently told me that in a 175/150 set-up Naim recommended using the 175 for fronts/centre and the 150 for the rears. Might be worth a try?

Neil

Thanks for your input Neil.

As mentioned in my reply to Richard Dane, one of the reasons for changing is to update the "look" of the surround system.
The house is circa 1965, so being a "new" house, I want to keep a contempary look to it.

Sadly, I don't Allaes wouldn't really fit the bill visually whereas Arivas just might.

I haven't moved yet and would like to get it all sorted so it can be installed all at once when I do move.

I will certainly try swapping the amp over as I currently use the 175 for rears and centre...
Posted on: 24 July 2005 by Martin Payne
quote:
Originally posted by blythe:
I haven't moved yet and would like to get it all sorted so it can be installed all at once when I do move.

There's an argument that you should buy speakers that work in your room.

Perhaps it's best to wait until you've moved in?

cheers, Martin
Posted on: 24 July 2005 by blythe
A very good and valid point Martin, I think I will wait and try them in situ as you suggest. Also money matters should be better after the move!