DVD5 Review in July's "Home Cinema" magazine

Posted by: Greggles on 11 June 2005

Has anyone seen July's issue of Home Cinema, which features a group test of the following British DVD players:

Arcam DV29 (£1600) Rating ****
Cyrus DVD8 (£1200) Rating ***
Linn Unidisk 1.1 (£6500) Rating *****
Meridian G98DH (£3350) Rating ****
Naim DVD5 (£2350) Rating *****

Of the DVD5, they said "with top class video and audio electronics, there's no reason to regret spending the money: you will get stunning picture quality and great sound, whether from DVDs or CDs"

It not only beat the two cheaper players in the test, but also had the advantage over the more expensive Meridian machine. Rather satisfying.
Posted on: 11 June 2005 by Steve2701
I stopped buying the 'mags' since buying the last load of Naim stuff.. all I ever get when reading them is an attack of the 'I Wants' so not seeing what is available kinda stops that! I will, however get this now I know it's available, just for a look... I wonder what sort of surround they ran it through?.. & with what cables etc.
Since running the DV5 for several months now, I have just come to accept what it does, very much like the rest of the Naim system.. when I try to watch something on a DVD played on the recorder, whilest being acceptable, there is always something missing....
Posted on: 13 June 2005 by karyboue
And why don't you play recorded DVDs with the DVD5 ?
That's what I do with both DVD+RW and DVD-RW (video mode only) and the image is even better than live watching
Posted on: 16 June 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Greggles

I went and bought the mag after reading your post. The best machine in the test is clearly stated as the Linn Unidisk 1.1. In fact they went for the Naim on value for money stakes.

I also have a very good advantage here as I now own a Meridian DVD player and AV2 before that I owned the Linn unidisk 2.1 it looks the exact same as the 1.1. and has the same DVD video DVD sound DVDA it is only bettered with CD and SACD. I can tell you now the Meridians picture is far better. The dvd video sound is the best I have heard. The cd reply is on par with the 2.1 and is very good. The review had the problem that its a transport. So two or three different pre-amps would have to be used to really find the best combination. I was surprised by the remarks on the picture as it is a good bit better than the Linn and I use component.

I have been trying to borrow a DVD5 from the dealer to post findings on this forum so far I have not had the chance.

Neill

PS I owned the Unidisk for 8months and have had the Meridian for the last four
Posted on: 21 June 2005 by HiDefBob
Today, June 21st, after making my final installment payment, I finally took possession of my DVD5 with multichannel audio board! So, I am now enjoying the amazing picture and sound from this unit. This time it is not a loaner ... but mine to keep.

The improvement in sound is amazing from my old Pioneer Elite DVL-90 - it trounces it! I am playing "Diana Krall Live in Paris" with DTS 5.1 sound. It is like she is playing live in my living room! Her piano in particular sounds outstanding, as do the drums! Fabulous low end from the bass!

Bob
Posted on: 23 June 2005 by Neill Ferguson
HiDefBob

I am glad you like it. Had another look at it the other day and its a heavy beast I'll say that for it. I am going to borrow one over the next few weeks to see what its like. Then I'll be able to let everyone know which is truely the best. Enjoy your new machine. How does it compare on CD replay.

Neill
Posted on: 23 June 2005 by HiDefBob
I think CD's sound outstanding on this unit! I just don't want to turn the unit off.

Some one once told me that Naim is "just a coloured (especially the midband) wall of sound - no imaging at all"

Nothing could be further from the truth ... this unit has great imaging. Each instrument is clear and distinct, there is wonderful depth to the sound and an excellent sound stage.

And vocals are outstanding. I was listening to Norah Jones CD "Feels Like Home". Her voice was so clear it was uncanny ... it was if she was in my living room! Electrostatic speakers are renowned for their ability to accurately reproduce the female voice ... the DVD5 has the ability to pass along every nuance of the voice from the disk to the speakers.

This unit really is a great complement to my system - Martin Logan electrostatic speakers powered by a Classé CAV 180 amp.

Next week I hope to pick up the 2 multi-channel cables that will allow me to start listening to DVD-A's. I bought 2 in anticipation of getting the DVD5 - The Eagles: Hotel California & Fleetwood Mac: Rumours.

It will be interesting to compare the sound of the Eagles DVD-A with the HDTV broadcast (with DD5.1) of their Farewell I concert which I have recorded on my HD PVR. Someone on another forum noted that the DVD-A disk really shows up the shortcomings of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound ... weak midrange.

While the CD sound on Naim's separate CD5X player may be better, as may the sound from more expensive DVD players like Linn and Meridan, I cannot image any better sound at the price of the DVD5. And for me the sound is more than satisfying. I love this unit!

Addendum -

This evening I rented "Coach Carter". On the DVD5 on my Sony KV36XBR400, the picture quality was outstanding! Some scenes were almost HD in quality!

Bob
Vancouver, Canada