Steinberg Clean Plus 5.0

Posted by: Mike Hughes on 19 December 2003

So, I thought I'd be clever and, in order to avoid the terrible crime of pulling my amp. out of my system, buy me this nice software that comes with a pre-amp so I can burn those last remaining LPs, 12" singles and 45s onto that nasty CD format.

I won't bore you with the many hours of trauma but once the pre-amp installed via USB 1.1 and the software finally gave in and installed correctly I find that, contrary to the ever so clear instructions, the software does not recognise the USB device (although my other music recording software - Cakewalk Sonar - does and records audio via this route too for a short period!) and won't let me record.

The crass solution from Pinnacle is "Oh, sorry, we forgot to make it clear that you need to connect a lead from the headphone out to your sound cards line in".

So,

- the manual clearly says power AND audio data
pass by USB
- they include the USB lead but not the small
headphone to 2 phono jacks that they now say
I need
- they write duff instruction manuals.

My questions are:

a) anyone else had dealings with these
people/this software/hardware?

b) anyone think they're right or am I missing
something?
Posted on: 21 December 2003 by caddyman
Yeah Mike, had problems with steinberg too. Installed the software, tried to burn a disc...nothing! After many frustrating hours trying to solve the problem I logged on to Steinbergs' website and found that the software was incompatable with my CD burner. There was no mention of compatability issues on the packaging so I took it back to the store for a refund. After a lot of arguing I got a refund and now I use 'MAGIX CLEANING LAB'. I get great results from it and far less complicated to operate than the Steinberg system.