chordette

Posted by: Stuart Marshall on 23 August 2008

just seen some adds in the hifi tabloids about this little bit of kit, just wandering if anybody on here has had a listen, could be a good addition to a htpc?

stu
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by james n
Hello Stuart Smile

Looks quite a neat little device and it has a USB input too. I suppose it tackles an interesting market sector but most mobile phone music carriers are going to be compressed audio so not a good baseline to start with Frown

James
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Stuart Marshall
yeah i understand that, but the way i was thinking is either HTPC into the usb input or stream my music from my macbok.....just wandering if anybody had heard one??!!
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Major-Tom
Hi Stuart
I think the recieved wisdom is that a usb connection is best avoided due to jitter issues. Optical link from Macbook however gives astounding results.
thanks for that major tom, yeah i understood that. and i guess for £400 there are better options. how does the beresford dac fair being fed into a nait 5i v1??
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Major-Tom
My advice would be to buy one before Stan realises he's not charging enough for them. Best £100 I've ever spent! Assuming you rip to Apple Lossless, you really will be amazed.
sounds good, just waiting for payday or some money people to come back then i'm gunna make the purchase. whats the delivery times like?

stu
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by u5227470736789524
I love my recent Beresford purchase, dealing with Stan was a pleasure. I live in the Pacific NW USA and I ordered on a Sat, acknowledged same evening, shipped Monday from Taiwan and i had mid-morning on Friday. By royal/US Mail. I have all my sources running through it (ie; cd, dvd, hard drive and air tunes) in my low-end currently non-Naim system.

Jeff A

ps - no grounding issues at all
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by u5227470736789524
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
What is it?

Sorry,

.... a Beresford TC7510 DAC Smile
as recommended by Jim and several others, completely satisfied.
Posted on: 25 August 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by Major-Tom:
My advice would be to buy one before Stan realises he's not charging enough for them. Best £100 I've ever spent! Assuming you rip to Apple Lossless, you really will be amazed.

this is already in the works. I spoke with him many times about his new design. He offered to send me one for a "demo" when it is completed. I will surely take him up on that!!

It will be possibly 8-10 times more expensive. People tend to not take his DAC seriously due to the low price.

Another DAC maker i recently sopke with has the same opinion. He told me once he significantly raised the price on his DAC, sales skyrocketed. Most "audiophiles" need things to be expensive to "hear" the quality.

He hadn't changed one thing and reviews were completely different....

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of review the 555 would get if the guts were thrown into a 5i box or vice versa.

-p
Posted on: 25 August 2008 by Guido Fawkes
I'd never buy anything I could afford because if I could afford it then it wouldn't be worth buying Big Grin