To airport or not to airport?

Posted by: thesherrif on 27 August 2008

The setups:

1) ( My) Sony Vaio laptop running itunes with all settings set for optimum output, lossless files ( Kate Bush "Aerial"), Wireless to Airport Express, toslink to Beresford latest DAC, analogue (Chord) to Naim Supernait, Teddycap power supply, NACA5 to Neat Momentum 4i speakers, Albert the cat, bottle of good Zinfandel

2) My (ex) friend's set up: Macbook pro, 24 bit 44Khz 2 channel output from a ripped cd, optical output via Monster toslink to Beresford DAC.... the rest the same as above.

3) As (1) above but toslink from Airport Express to Supernait (ie using the Naim SN dac)

4) play the cd directly from a Sony SACD 777ES (superclocked) into the SN analogue input

The experiment:
Playing the same tracks synchronised and switching from source to source on the front of the Beresford...
then configuring the system to use the Naim DAC

The audience:
Me, ex friend, ex friend's missus, Albert the cat, neighbours possibly.

Results
1) Naim DAC............ pretty damm good

2) Sony laptop via AE to Beresford DAC ...... better than Naim SN DAC

3) Mac to Dac...... better still ( and by that I mean NOTICEABLE). Ex friend's missus said "even I can hear that", Albert went and grazed some more at his bowl, Ex friend looked happy, and I'm now looking at a dedicated MAC solution

4) very good, but no better or worse than (2)

ok, I didn't try the Mac direct to the SN dac, but (2) above didn't entice me into doing that, and time was short. Unscientific I know, but Zin is a terrible anti scientific potion.

Conclusion
I reckon I have carried out a scientific experiment and proved conclusively that a good Zinfandel is a cracking good wine and Kate Bush "Aerial" is a stonking cd no matter what the set up. The Beresford DAC driven directly from a MAC was wonderful and I'm now wondering about a shoot out between the Beresford and the Lavry DA10. Whatever happens, the AE has to go; as good as it is, there is a better solution musically. I'm going to invest in a MAC and connect directly to a DAC, be it Beresford, Lavry, or something else. I'd like an Altmann jobby but the thought of a pcb squatting on a lump of spruce and driven by a car battery is a bit much to get my head around ( and Albert would want to "mark" it).

If anyone has compared a Berseford directly to a Lavry I'd love to know about it.
Posted on: 27 August 2008 by pcstockton
"not to" is my vote regarding the thread title.

Why introduce a wireless scenario if not absolutely needed??
Posted on: 27 August 2008 by pcstockton
Also...

I would really like to hear your impressions on one more A/B.

I am curious about the Beresford vs. The SN DAC directly... no other variables, anything else up stream you want.

Can you give that a shot?
Posted on: 27 August 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
Originally posted by thesherrif:

Conclusion
The Beresford DAC driven directly from a MAC was wonderful and I'm now wondering about a shoot out between the Beresford and the Lavry DA10. Whatever happens, the AE has to go; as good as it is, there is a better solution musically. I'm going to invest in a MAC and connect directly to a DAC, be it Beresford, Lavry, or something else. I'd like an Altmann jobby but the thought of a pcb squatting on a lump of spruce and driven by a car battery is a bit much to get my head around ( and Albert would want to "mark" it).

If anyone has compared a Berseford directly to a Lavry I'd love to know about it.

Hi,

Those were similar tests to the ones I did.

Except, no SuperNait. Several people have tried the MacBook with the SuperNait including a dealer - and found the same as you. That the separate DACs are better. This is no surprise to me as the Naim demo of Mac into SN was not as good as the CDX2. There was no further comparison with an external DAC in that demo of course, which several of us have since found to be significantly better than bare CDX2. Now it seems you have too.

I had the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10 together with Fujitsu (Vista) and Dell (XP) PCs, then MacBook. All Apple Lossless. Plus some FLAC 24/96 samples.

My findings:

- Neither PC was as good as the Mac with either DAC.

- Direct Toslink connection much better than AE, but the extent did seem location dependent and AE could still be very good in some locations.

- Lavry preferred to Benchmark, the latter sounded less involving to me and a tad clinical.

That is why I have settled on the Mac/Lavry and perhaps why the others here (who have heard it compared to the CD555), rate it so highly. I think Keith did the DAC1 v Beresford (hope he sees this thread) and found the former much better, so well worth you trying the Lavry v Beresford.

You already sound like you are having fun.

Best regards,

Steve
Posted on: 28 August 2008 by james n
Although my AE went on Print server duties a few months back i did look into hardwiring it(as i have hardwired Ethernet from my Switch into the lounge) and turning off the wireless function. I didn't get around to trying it out in the end but has anyone tried the AE hardwired ?

James