Manic Street Preachers

Posted by: woodface on 04 April 2001

Why are their albums always so badly produced? The latest one is atrocious! At low volumes it sounds thin and uninvolving and at high volumes it gives you a headache. Why?
Posted on: 05 April 2001 by Rico
I've not heard the album, but am unlikely to buy it. The last one and the first one are sufficient Manics for any collection, IMHO. Have heard the new single on XFM, and sum it up in the follwing four words: Why did they bother?. It's painful on the ears, and does not break any new ground for them whatsoever. Does the rest of the album improve on this, sonics aside?

I've seen them live, and enjoyed the gig (Paris). They must be the worlds most highly self-rated band. Or is that over self-rated? Oh hell, I wish I had a journo's talent for wordsmithing.

Rico - all your base are belong to us.

Posted on: 05 April 2001 by woodface
To be honest the whole album is a wall of sound where no tracks really stand out. I bought it on Vinyl and the first side is probably worse than the 2nd. I quite like the Manics and they always come accross well in intereviews etc but I think they are a fading force. Their previous album was much better (which funnily enough was over produced and very sheeny, the current one sounds like it was recorded in their shed). I think they are trying to sound a bit like a garage band which is a bit false for rich rock stars really!