Viable Alternatives to NTL?

Posted by: garyi on 30 October 2003

Well I am reaching the end of my patience.

When it works it works, when it don't you are stuffed.

I have tried the forums, the phones, the emails and nothing, no response.

So here I am, wanting broadband that will go through the erthunet on my mac.

I don't want to be paying more than £45 quid a month, baring in mind that most other services require a BT phone line (why?) at around a tenner a month.

I also want an email address.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by garyi
P.S. I ain't fussed about TV channels, I only watch simpsons on sky one as it is anyway!
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by andy c
garyi,
I'm on bt openworld, and their phone line, and it's ok. Its not cheap, working out about £40.00 including line rental, but if you have sky you can get it cheaper throught them!
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Mekon
How fast a connection do you need? If you aren't using P2P networks, and mainly use it for browsing, you might find that the £15.99 deal from Tiscali is good enough.

At work the connection to the net is some daft big pipe. Whilst I get over a meg a second downloading files from somewhere like Microsoft, I can't detect any difference between work and home when browsing this site.
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by garyi
Mekon, what would I need to use this service.

I would like to connect via earuthent, and not through USB modem.

Cheers
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by garyi
Git. You know what I mean. I realise I spell it differently every time I write it.

I have just installed this swanky OSX Panther, and a spell checker appears for everything, and I mean everything, including AOL chat, but not for the browser, the one place I could actually use it!
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by Mekon
The package comes with a crappy USB modem, with is useless to me too. I've ordered a netgear DG824M (all-in-one ADSL modem, router, 4 port hub, and wireless access point), so I'll soon have a little wireless nertwork sorted.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Rasher
NTL are a horror. I have NTL broadband, phone and digital TV at home, but have just started the switch to BT for phone and broadband, then I will switch to a third party for calls, and I have bought a free to view TV box.
A mate of mine sacked NTL after 3 days of trying to get through to report a fault. He wrote to them in the end and told them to take it all away, & stopped the payments.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by MarkEJ
[Resigned sigh]... Well, we warned you didn't we?

Check out Nildram (www.nildram.co.uk) for "wires-only" ADSL for around 23 quid a month (I think you still get an email address, but no web space). I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Then get a router (please, get a router). Best ADSL router I've yet found is the the Draytek Vigor 2600 (http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_vigor2600.html). It's a bit more money than the cheapest of the competition, but it just works, and it's easy to configure and auto-senses the fiddly stuff reliably. Best of all, the case doesn't creak. There are 4 x 10/100 Ethernet ports on the back for connecting straight to your iMac.

I was also going to say wait for X 10.3.1 before installing Panther, but er... too late. Impatient young scamp...

Best;

Mark
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by ken c
related question -- what do you guys consider the "best" broadband service at this time?

i have seen offerings from AOL, Tiscali and of course BT. i am ignoring NTL because of reports here...

many thanks

ken
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by garyi
The actual broadband browsing is generally fine with NTL, but the email is f**ked.

They ahve a seperate server for it, and its not been well for some time. They have also agreed to lease its bandwidth to AOL.

Bunch of arse.

The other hig was when I signed up I agreed to the 1 meg broadband as it would give me free instalation, some 8 months later I notice I am actually on 600k broadband. I haven't been paying for 1 meg, but still bunch of arse.

Mark that link dosn't work for me. Is it basically my set top box thing, like a modem that goes into the back of the mac?

Is there not an 'in house' solution, I have a big power mac which is largely empty spacve in side, could a broadband modem not go in there?

Cheers.

I am serious about ditching NTL, I must be at the end of a year of half arsed service, I wouldn't mind but there is no cummincation to be had with them, NTHell forum is arse and phone calls are pointless.

I sent them a polite email fromt heir own website 3 weeks ago with no reply. Its just not acceptable to be paying 50 quid a month for this.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Roy T
Ken,
you could look at ADSLguide: The UK's largest independent ADSL review site - Your guide to UK broadband Internet and then zoom in on the ADSLguide: Viewing list of forums where people discuss the merits of various IPS. I am looking through the fora with a view to selecting one in the near future.

Roy T