Can I use a 90, 140 or 180 as a mono amp to drive the centre channel?

Posted by: david r on 06 March 2005

Thanks in advance
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by Roy Donaldson
I use a 140 to do that today. It just uses one channel of it.
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by Trevor Bennett
Hi ,
I use Nap180 and Naim made me a "bi-amped" cable so i could use both channels.

Cheers
Trevor
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by Morri
I also use a 140 for the center also bi-amping with a cable made up by my dealer with excellent results.
Posted on: 07 March 2005 by david r
Great - thanks very much. Planning to build a system with some buys on ebay. I think that it should be great value for money with these great but now not in vogue amps.
Posted on: 08 March 2005 by graham55
Someone on the pink fish forum was recently looking for someone to go "halves" on a pair of 135s, with each taking one for precisely this purpose. On the basis, I suppose, that single 135s are hard to find.

Just a thought, anyway. (I always enjoy watching others spend money: it makes me feel less bad when I do so.)

G
Posted on: 08 March 2005 by david r
Thanks Graham. Good idea
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by graham55
David

There's a pair of "olive" 135s up for sale on eBay at present with a fixed "buy it now" price quoted. If I were clever with computers, I'd supply the link, but I'm not, so I can't!

G
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Nime
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5758522377&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

For future reference when you want to post e-bay links.

Open the ebay item into your browser window.
Add to Favorites.
Right click on the link in the favorite list.
Select "Properties".
"Copy" the blue URL in the pop-up Properties box.
Then "Paste" into the Naim forum box.
Damn me, Nime, you're a clever bugger!

G
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Nime
Only after a 500ml bottle of Fullers "1848"!

Nime
I had a few bottles of something very similar the other night, but I think that you may have the date slightly wrong. My dead bottles have been recycled, but "1848" doesn't feel quite right. Surely you're not rat-arsed after just one bottle?

Graham
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by Nime
Oh alright it was "1845". My wife whipped the bottle away for recycling before I had time to memorise the label by heart.
Actually, the slight hangover this morning feels more like a bottle of "1848".
Do I still get a house point for remembering it was 6.3% and 15P on returning the bottle? Big Grin

Regards
Nime
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by graham55
Nime

Whatever it's called, I think we agree that it's a powerful brew. Have you tried a few 600ml bottles of Guinness Export at about 7.5%? That can induce a rather trance-like quality to an evening.

I only wish that there were a deposit on bottles and cans, as there is in NY, as it might make people recycle more.

Graham
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by david r
Thanks Graham - beyond budget at the moment -sadly
We are slowly ploughing through the British brewery offerings in the Danish supermarkets. One bottle a week each amounts to a hobby, rather than a true vocation like yours. Winker Most bottles are 500ml for roughly 2 quid a bottle.

Despite my taste for the darker beers Guiness was never a favorite.

But! The only beer I can remember not being able to finish in 40 years of legal consumption was Danish "Willemoes Ale".

My wife (The Head Gardener) can usually recycle the odd bottle of "iffy" beer in her slug traps. However, she steadfastedly refused to allow slugs to be subjected to the aformentioned ale. Imagine "1845" with more sugar, more liquorice, more Fisherman's Friend, more Imps, more ammonia and more pigs'....well I think you get the picture. Roll Eyes

Nime

PS I hate to drag the thread back to some semblance of order: But are you allowed to run Naim amps with only one channel being fed a signal and only one speaker attached?

& Can you mono a stereo NAP without tears?
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by graham55
Bloody hell, Nime, I hope that you don't expect me to know the answers to that?

G
quote:
Originally posted by graham55:
Bloody hell, Nime, I hope that you don't expect me to know the answers to that?

G

Just testing! Smile