The World Champions Victory Parade

Posted by: Simon Matthews on 08 December 2003

I Just got back from giving the English Rugby team a cheer as they make their way through the centre of London. A broad cross section of people were giving the lads a tremendous reception and the volume of people who have turned up is phenominal.

Wilkinson was at the back of the bus looking almost uncomfortable at the adulation directed at him. Jason Bobinson was punching the air and grinning from ear to ear.

Without wanting to come across nationalistic it felt great to finally get to cheer a tremendous world beating team of Englishmen in the centre of one of the worlds great cities.

It would have even been better if they could have played entertaining rugby on the way (This is irony for the hard of thinking).

Well done dad's army.
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Toksik
oh.....my GOD ...........1966 an' aw that over and over again!....it's even reached Alpha Centauri by now.

God Save us!

dennis Mad
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Simon Matthews
Apologies for gloating. I do appreciate that the Scots are magnanamous in defeat, something that they have had plenty of practice at lately Wink

Anyone know who Holland have drawn in Euro 04??
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by matthewr
Patrick Barclay (a Scotsman and one of Britain's finest football writers) said on Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement that "Speaking as a neutral I find it inconceivable that England will not win at least one of Euro 2004 or the 2006 World Cup".

Which is something all you Scotch can look forward to almost as much as the English.

Matthew
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Alex S.
Wanna bet, Matthew?
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by matthewr
I am simply reporting what one of Britain's finest football writers had to say (even if you have to question the judgement of somehom who has breakfast at Jimmy Hill's on a Sunday morning no matter how much Sky are paying).

I would bet you England do better than Russia. Except I would never tempt fate by betting on England let alone in such an important event.

Matthew
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Simon Matthews
Blinkered??

Mmmmmmm???? Maybe a bit but certainly an infinitely preferable situation to one of perpetual moaning at a neigbours abilities and successes whilst your own team gives their worst set of world cup performances in the history of the competition.

I'm sorry, but the responses from north of the border just make the day that little bit more enjoyable. Wink Razz
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Alex S.
Russia are in a tricky group and are also the second greatest under-achievers in major competitions (if we place Spain 3rd). So all footie bets off. Willing to bet Russia would beat Scotland at Rugby though.