Inside Guantanamo

Posted by: matthewr on 03 December 2003

A fascinating and disturbing insight into life in Guantanamo Bay from today's Guardian.

A lengthy read but well worth it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,13743,1098604,00.html

Matthew
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Madrid
After reading the article, I am glad the US Supreme Court has taken up the issue.

I think, nonetheless, that the author might have been a bit more critical in his analysis. Does he believe that "turning up with the Taliban" was by sheer accident?

Cheers,

Steven
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Berlin Fritz
I think Canada should be searching it's soul somew´hat with the return of one of its own sons from T'holiday camp. Being closer to Britain/France & Europe than the US, psychologically and morally, I presume there may be debate ? imagine if he'd been of French Origin, Oh Wow Lordy me !!!

Monsieur FRitz with False moustache

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 03 December 2003 by Mike Sae
As an ignoramus, I have to ask-

If the Democrats beat out Bush next year (by all accounts a slim possibility), they will likely shut the camp down, no?

What's the deal with all this policy making and nutty bamboozling when governments can only sustain them in 4 year increments???
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by matthewr
Mike -- Howard Dean is a decent and patriotic American who believes in the American way and the American Consitution. I therefore think he will close down Guantanemo Bay.

Which doesn't mean they just let the suspects all go. They would either define their status via section 5 tribunals and proceed as PoW or else charge them as criminals under the well established and widely respected US military justice system.

The likelihood is that the majority of the prisoners would then be sent home fairly quickly without charge.

Madrid -- The point is you can't take someone haly around the world, lock them in a brutal, inhumane prison for an unspecifed period of time and with no trial, evidence or whatever just because they seem a bit iffy.

Matthew
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by Berlin Fritz
Mat old Pal, remember the IRA üprison ships off of the Irish coast, or don't they play a part in your film old son ? those guys had no due legal processess (under UK Law) either, how easily you all like to forget. If you honestly think that a mere politician whover she/he may be will close down camp x-ray and there likes for a few votes, you're living in "Cloud Cuckoo Land" as Maggie would often say, and The Guardian is about as well informed as the beano.

Cheers me old Mucky, keep dreamin along, it's nearly all over, then you can all have servants again.

Fritz Von Onthedockofthehypocryticalbay.

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 04 December 2003 by Mike Sae
Matthew, have you read Dude Where's my Country? I think you'll really like it.
(OK, OK I heard the audiobook, but still...)