Naim -vs- Meridian -vs- Denon

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 03 August 2005

Thought I'd post my thoughts having done some extended demos.

What caused this? Well, after my initial DVD5 probs. I was supplied with a 2nd machine. This has been failing to read CDs, culminating in a refusal to read the DVD5 software update CD! Feeling slightley upset, and having borne months of less than perfect service from my DVD5s I decided to investigate some altermatives, a Meridian G91 and the latest Denon behemoth.

The Meridian is a well put together machine. The G91 includes a stereo pre-amp and a tuner, in addition to the DVD - although for a thousand pounds more than the DVD5. My impression was that the picture quality was marginally better than the DVD5. But on a couple of DVDs, notably High Society, the picture wavered and distorted. Whilst on an episode of Buffy it lost the image sharpness.

I enjoyed playing the pre straight into one of my 250s. On the whole I was quite impressed with the sound quality.....BUT, 'oxymoron warning', on listening to Rex Harrison sing in My Fair Lady it sounded compressed. I fed the signal into the AV2 and the compression vanished.

The Denon is a BIG beast. It performed faultlessly, playing DVDs, DVD-A and SACD. The picture quality was excellent, and I think shaded both the DVD5 and the Meridian.

In terms of audio the SACD is excellent. This is the first time I have heard why people fuss about this format. CD was interesting. I use the Benchmark DAC1. Other users have commented that the DAC1 is transport agnostic. Well I found NO difference between the Denon's internal DACs and the DAC1, but neither was captivating. Similarly DVD-A was acceptable, but lacked excitement.

With the Denon I found musical passages that hit a resonance with the DVD5 didn't on this box. For instance, in Pride and Predujice there are two instances of music being played by live period instruments, on the DVD5 I found this musically interesting - on the Denon it was just incidental music. That said I thought the Denon was better at presenting the surround effects.

One of my concerns with Denon is there frequent model changes. I spoke to Denon UK and voiced my concerns about getting a five year old model serviced - the person I spoke to had no words of reassurance.

Switching back to the DVD5 I noticed that the picture quality is very good. Also when I could get the DVD5 to recognise a CD it's presentation is fantastic through the DAC1. I bought the recent release of War of the Worlds, as it is a hybrid SACD. I thought the SACD presentation via the DENON was excellent - but this was matched by the CD layer through the DVD5/DAC1.

So, where does that leave me?

I feel the Meridian is a sideways move - but understand why people like these boxes, my eldest daughter has fallen in love with the Meridian remote control!

The Denon is a good DVD player with a superlative picture - but poor medium term support. The SACD replay is very good, but CD and DVD-A is mediocre. However good the SACD is do I want to buy into what I think is a dying format? The DVD-video audio for film effects is very good, but for me failed to communicate the musical content.

Having done the rounds I have decided to give the DVD5 one last go. I do feel very frustrated. This a partially alleviated by Naim, in the person of Adam, and most especially by my dealership, Audio-T, and the support given me by Paul.

Fingers crossed - third time lucky?

Martin.
Posted on: 03 August 2005 by graham55
Martin

Buffy DVD losing image sharpness? Throw the wretched machine as far away as possible! Hell, it might start playing up on Dark Angel next.

G
Posted on: 03 August 2005 by JonR
Mr U,

It's a great shame you've had such trouble with your DVD5 so credit to you for being prepared to give it another go. I don't know if you've posted elsewhere in the A/V room but one question I have is have you installed the latest firmware update??

You can, of course, have the best of both worlds if you want - as I understand it you can buy the Meridian remote by itself and use it to operate your boxes if you like it so much! Last time I checked it cost £85 but you don't have to buy Meridian kit - it apparently will "learn" non-Meridian gear as well!

Cheers,

Jon

PS: Graham Big Grin
Posted on: 03 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
Graham,

Have you got daughters?

My eldest girls room is covered with pictures of Spike!!

M
Posted on: 03 August 2005 by graham55
Mike

Sadly not, but two great sons, now verging on adulthood.

G
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Peter Gear
Graham

I have just gone down the DVD5 route and have had some problems and difficulties. These were in the main down to firmware problems, which were resolved with the new firmware updates, and not understanding how to set up the DVD5/AV2 combo. The manual(s) are the sole of brevity and not easy to understand (more info and OSD pictures would be useful) and my dealer and I spent many (happy) hours trying to set up the system. There are also some things that are not mentioned in the manual such as the inbuilt memory which will 'bookmark' a DVD at the replay point you switch off. The DVD when subsequently replayed restarts at that bookmark whatever you do! Further as it can't read the decode commands and language at the start of the disc it makes it up! One DVD would restart in 2.0 instead of 5.1 with the language in German!! It transpires that pressing stop twice bypasses this inbuilt memory - easy when you know how - and is this useful titbit in the manual? - no.
So I had several weeks of doubt, auditioned an Arcam DV79, but eventually due the persistence of my dealer and Naim to get it right and them actually doing so swung it.
I have to say I wanted it all to work - I have heard many Naim AV demos over the past year and the surround sound is really superb. Even better in my own home. Can't comment on the picture quality as the video is fed via scart to a sony CRT only at present.
The other thing that swung it was the attitude of Naim and my dealer. I posted earlier in the year as to whether I should change my dealer. Well Naim picked up on this and swung into action, got kit to my delaer and supported him in admirable fashion. I understand Naim were even prepared to send someone to help my dealer in the setting up at my home! So I have had exemplary service and I really can't praise them both highly enough.
So the point of this - well you touched on the support you had received from Naim. This counts for such a lot to my mind and the fact that Naim will support my system for years to come is a crucial factor to me. You may get more bells and whisles on other kit but if it goes wrong 2/3 years down the line...? - if only Naim would make the manuals easier to comprehend!

Best wishes
Peter
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Peter Gear
Martin

Sorry - my post should have been adressed to yourself.

Peter
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by graham55
Martin

Can't imagine why I decided to address you as Mike last night. Sorry!

Incidentally, I do hope that your post about your elder daughter's room being plastered with photos of Spike was not meant to lead members of this jury (sorry, Forum) to think that you watch Buffy DVDs for your kids' sake?

Graham
Posted on: 04 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
Peter,

It was a sorry tale of annoying defects on the first DVD5 that led to a replacement. Having gone through that to have a 2nd that had problems reading CDs was a royal pain - especially as I discarded three CDs in 2 weeks before I woke up to what was happening!

Hopefully all the bugs have now been ironed out - never be an early adopter!

Graham,

There I was doing my cynical leg pulling act - when I found myself being sucked in (sic). I've now watched all seven series, and the Angel series, and really enjoy them. Just lucky that all the bad guys don't simply buy a gun and shoot her - rather than using martial arts!

In fact my girls also got me hooked on Friends! They're a bad influence on me.

M
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by HiDefBob
I bought my DVD5 at the end of June ... and it continues to perform absolutely flawlessly! Maybe the bugs had ironed out by the time my unit left the factory. So, I am reluctant to have any upgrades installed!

It has played all rental DVD's without a single glitch. The Picture and Sound quality is outstanding. The low end on this unit is the best ... I was watching "Hide & Seek" last evening with DTS 5.1 sound ... in a few places the LFE shock the whole room!

All my CD's have played and sounded superb.

And my 2 DVD-A's sound out of this world! Amazing sound quality!

I wouldn't give up this unit for the world ... that is until the HD DVD war has been settled. It is looking more and more like Blu-Ray is going to win. FOX studio just got on board.
Posted on: 06 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
HiDefBob,

Thats what keeps me hooked - when it works it's great.

My current DVD5 has been flawless with DVD, and a real pain with CDs.

My dealer has sold quite a few DVD5s, and I am the only one who has had issues.

M
Posted on: 07 August 2005 by Johns Naim
HiDefBob said:
quote:
I was watching "Hide & Seek" last evening with DTS 5.1 sound ... in a few places the LFE shock the whole room!

Heheh, that's what it's supposed to do.. Big Grin the LFE that is - I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before, heheh, all part of the fun appeal of 'being there' when a good HT rig struts it's stuff. Urk, perhaps you've been one of those 'flat earth' chaps who previously thought that 2 channel stereo was more than good enough for movies? Razz

quote:
It is looking more and more like Blu-Ray is going to win. FOX studio just got on board.

That's good news in a way, as I believe blue-ray is the technically superior medium. Personally I'm really looking forward to Hi-Def picture quality, and a big improvement in basic sound quality with movies, which will undoubtedly come with the new formats.

Best regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 07 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
John,

I'm just thinking that hi-def music is dying (has died) due to public dis-interest. I wonder if the same might happen with hi-def pictures?

People have invested in standard DVD, will a standards battle invite investment? Either way an inestment now in current technology is not, IMO, a waste of money for the next couple of years - until the smoke clears.

M
Posted on: 07 August 2005 by Johns Naim
Mr Underhill said:
quote:
I'm just thinking that hi-def music is dying (has died) due to public dis-interest. I wonder if the same might happen with hi-def pictures?

Not sure on that one. Arguably Hi-Res music aka SACD/DVD-Audio has not so much died, as simply not been a commercial sucess to any degree. Whether the record companies will pull the plug on them is open to conjecture I guess.

Most people seem to be far more easily able to discern differences in picture quality than sound quality, and I think for that reason the masses will likely take to Hi-Def picture more than sound. Especially with the explosion of interest in plasma, LCD, projection etc over the ubiquitious CRT 'telly'

I hope there will not be a standards battle; if there is, like most I will sit it out until the smoke clears as you say.

Once things clear up in that regard, I will invest in the new mediums. Meantime my ES Sony SACD/DVD player does all I could wish for, re current technology, so I'm happy.

Best Regards

John.. Cool
Posted on: 07 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
Talking of hi-def music I found the decision to stick with the DVD5 fairly straightforward - due to the quality of CD through the DVD5/DAC1. BUT I have been woken from complacency by an article in the months Hi-Fi+.

CD took many years to become acceptable to my ears. Now while some of this was better handling of the medium by manufacturers I believe a LOT is down to the music industry learning how to produce good sounding CDs. However, in an industry looking to maximise profit, and a market looking for convenience, might music start being mixed to sound good for ipods?

I suppose as long as CD sales remain strong, as I think they still are in the UK, there is hope.

Funny, and sad, to think of vinyl and CD as the new Hi-Def.

Personally I am exploring burning DVDs - in order to archive my vinyl.

M
Posted on: 09 August 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:

Heheh, that's what it's supposed to do.. Big Grin the LFE that is - I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before, heheh, all part of the fun appeal of 'being there' when a good HT rig struts it's stuff. Urk, perhaps you've been one of those 'flat earth' chaps who previously thought that 2 channel stereo was more than good enough for movies?

Best regards

John... Cool

No I have had surround sound for sometime. But I was using a Pioneer DLV-90 to play my DVD's prior to purchasing the DVD5. The Pioneer did not have DTS capability ... only DD. It also had no component out (only "S-Video"!) and no progressive scan! It was a dinosaur!

So, you can imagine how thrilled I am to finally experience the wonderful Picture and Sound quality that is on many of today's DVD's!