Cover versions

Posted by: cabermac on 10 March 2001

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for cover versions of songs I like. Most of them are horrible to be sure but there are some that bring a new dimension to a tired old favorite or at least make me want to get out the original and compare. Here are 5 of my current favorite covers

1.Liz Phair's cover of The Vapor's "Turning Japanese" -perhaps a little obscure but I think its way better that the original.

2.The Sunday's version of The Rolling Stone's "Wild Horses" way different from the original, almost makes it a different song, really shows just how good a song it is.

3. Save Ferris's ska cover of "Come On Eileen".The ska riffs really give it a whole new energy.Great party song.

4. Aimee Mann's cover of the old Three Dog Night chestnut "One"- not sure why I like it as much as I do I just do. It's on the "Magnolia" soundtrack which has a number of excellent original Aimee Mann songs on it too.

5. Texas's Sharleen Spiteri doing the great AL Green's song "Tired Of Being Alone"- no new territory covered here, her version is almost an homage to the original but Im a sucker for Sharleen's voice.

Anyone else have any interesting covers they like?

Michael

[This message was edited by cabermac on SATURDAY 10 March 2001 at 23:38.

[This message was edited by cabermac on SATURDAY 10 March 2001 at 23:39.]

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Nigel Cavendish
Bluegrass renditions of all your favourites - better than it sounds.

review

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Tony L
Here's a few:

'American Pie' covered by Killdozer - This is stunning, definitely the definitive version, its done in a sort of American version of Jack Dee fronting Nirvana style. Its from the 'Ladies only' album that covered all the songs that got on their wick in the local pubs…

'The Model' covered by Big Black - Taken from the stunning 'Songs about F***' album, real grungy noise merchant version of the Kraftwerk classic.

'The Model' this time covered by the late Residents guitarist Snakefinger. This just makes me laugh every time I play it, it could not be more well err… Resident-like.

'Neon Lights' covered by (I think) The Brodsky Quartet - This is truly excellent, a string quartet playing a few Kraftwerk classics. I have not actually been able to locate it yet, but have heard it on the radio. Anyone know what album it is from?

'Satisfaction' covered by Devo - Early Stiff Records single. Excellent deadpan version of the Stones classic.

'Jailhouse Rock' covered by The Residents - Totally deadpan version of the Elvis classic.

'Money' covered by The Flying Lizards. Again more than a tad deadpan. Early 80s DIY version of Barrett Strong's classic. Their version of 'Summertime Blues' is just as good.

'Repetition' covered by The Au Pairs. This David Bowie song from 'The Lodger' album truly came to life with this version, it makes far more sense.

Tony.

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Rico
Snakefinger! Ahhh, now that brings back memories. DO you remember a really weird video where they were all dressed up like cavemen, and pulling along a sort of wooden car? (sorry, my memory from that period is a little incinerated).

I'd have to also include Satisfaction by Devo.

As a cover album (don't laugh now) "The Duran Duran Tribute Album" on mojo records is a really worthwhile listen. Rio done ska-style (Reel Big Fish, I think) is terriffic.

Has anyone heard the Depeche Mode tribute (music by the masses, or whatever it was?)?? Is it any good?

Ok, I've made my bed, I'll go lie in it.

Rico - all your base are belong to us.

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Martin M
Dread Zeppelin. Simultaneously terrible & great. They did a nice combination of Black Dog and Hound Dog.
Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Steve Catterall
A great Anti Poll Tax album of 70's covers including

Kung Fu Fighting by Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - an amazing acapella version

Bohemian Rhapshody by Cud - a thundering monster

Lush - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Steve Catterall
I think I prefered their first single, which was also a cover - Summertime blues
Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Chris Metcalfe
Lovers of psychedelia should purchase 'Wonderful' (with an unrecognisable title on the cover) by the Wondermints, recorded 1996, only just released here.

This includes covers of 'My Friend Jack' (the Smoke), 'Arnold Layne' (quite possibly as good as the Floyd original), several other great oldies, and their own 'Tracy Hide' which they'd only just released themselves (quite witty that) - great song.

Posted on: 12 March 2001 by Keith Mattox
quote:
Snakefinger! Ahhh, now that brings back memories. DO you remember a really weird video where they were all dressed up like cavemen, and pulling along a sort of wooden car? (sorry, my memory from that period is a little incinerated).

"I'm the man.... in the big sedan.... I've commmme... to take your hand..."

I saw that Snakefinger video in a Ralph records video sampler back in the early-mid 80's. I'd love to find a copy now.

Both of these artists are hardly popular these days, but Sinead O'Connor's cover of Elton John's "Sacrifice" really stands out. And Kudos to the reference to Dread Zeppelin.

Others?

Eva Cassidy's version of "Fields of Gold" will almost make one thank Sting for writing that song.

Patricia Barber's version of "Ode to Billy Joe" is slow, haunting and has nothing to do with the original.

Jimmy Scott's version of "Unchained Melody" is also a completely different song, sung as a classic American ballad. Great Valentine's song.

Cheers

Keith.

Posted on: 13 March 2001 by Pete
... Rolf's "Stairway to Heaven" which was pretty damn marvellous.

Particularly classic covers are Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" (just a leeeeeeeeetle bit better than the (Ugh!) Wet Wet Wet version) and Alexis Korner doing "Get Off of My Cloud". Wondrous.

Pete.

Posted on: 13 March 2001 by Michael Dale
Didn't know Cud had done this. I remember them doing You Sexy Thing quite a bit, and a cool version of Living In The Past. I played keys on their Leggy Mambo album ( a track called Magic), though I wasn't credited, which was a bit disappointing as they were one of my favourite bands. My sister got a credit on their next album for cutting Steve the drummers hair!

If there is a recording of the Queen classic by Cud, please let me know!

Cheers,

Mickey Dale

Posted on: 13 March 2001 by Steve Catterall
As I said above, its on an albun called 'Alvin Lives In Leeds' which was an anti poll tax album released in the mid 80s on which a number of indie bands did covers of 70's songs.

I think it's been unavailable for quite a while now, although you might be able to pick it up second hand somewhere.

Posted on: 14 March 2001 by John C
Joy Division did a great, rather funny, version of Sister Ray. I could never make up my mind about the Grace Jones' version of Shes Lost Control but think I liked it.

John

Posted on: 14 March 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
Just about any track from Dread Zeppelin's first album - Led Zep in a reggae style, with an Elvis impersonating lead singer!?!?

Blows Rolf's effort into the weeds wink

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 15 March 2001 by Ian P
The Stranglers cover of "Walk on by" is a little different from the original.

And while we're thinking new wave/punk thoughts what about the Sex Pistols "My way" ?

Ian

Posted on: 16 March 2001 by Ian P
I don't want you to think I'm particularly anti-royal, but nevertheless I laughed when I thought of the pistols lyrics set to the traditional music :

"God save the Queen,
for the facsist regime,
God save the Queen
tra la la lah ..."

Posted on: 16 March 2001 by Nigel Cavendish
...by Jackie Leven and David Thomas(Pere Ubu).

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 19 March 2001 by Tony L
quote:
I'd forgotten their WOB. By far the best version of the song I've ever heard.

I'd take the 12 minute workout on Issac Hayes 'Hot buttered soul' - that guitar work is simply stunning. In fact its a stunning album all round.

Tony.

Posted on: 20 March 2001 by Matt Gear
tori amos often puts some interesting cover versions on her singles / EP's. her version of "angie" by the rolling stones was great, though not as interesting as her rendition of "smells like teen spirit" by nirvana, played as a tribute to kurt cobain after he comitted suicide.

matt