Classe

Posted by: Taylormade on 29 September 2005

Anyone have experience with Classe gear? How does it compare to Naim? I'm thinking about getting the Classe CAV-75 6 channel amp and the SSP-25 processor second hand.

I have a Nait 2, Spendor S5e and a CD3 for 2 channel. Is the classe good enough to get rid of the Nait?
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by HiDefBob
Last year I bought a Classé CAV180 5 channel amp. Next to the Naim DVD5 it is the best component that I have added to my home theatre system. The improvement in sound over my Denon 4802 was amazing (I am using Martin Logan Aeon fronts, Script surrounds and a Cinema centre). Classé makes a quality product ... if you have ever seen inside one of their amps you would be very impressed!

My recommendation ... would be an enthusiastic yes ... if the units are in good condition, go for it ... I don't think you will ever regret it.
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by graham55
My thoughts would be seriously high-end, but that's garnered from reviews, as I've never heard their stuff.

All pictures I've seen show large bare aluminium front plates, which wouldn't necessarily match with Naim gear.

Graham
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by J The Kop
I used to have classe CD player CDP10 with Naim 112, 150, B&Ws. For 2 channel music, I think Naim and Classe are not match. The sound was thin and not musical. I finally got all naim system, CDX2, 282, 250 now.

I am not sure for HT system. You should try it first. Having said that Classe makes great products, but I think they are not match with Naim.

J the Kop
Posted on: 29 September 2005 by Taylormade
I did go ahead a buy the classe units. I'm afraid that they just won't be as musical as Naim. Worst case scenario, I should be able to resell them from what I paid and perhaps even more and then I'll go with a Nait 5i and wait on surround for awhile.

On the other hand, from HiDefBob's experience, it sounds as if the Classe products may be a great setup. Perhaps it makes more of a difference in having a Naim source as opposed to J's experience with a Classe source into Naim pre/power.
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Mr Underhill
Taylormade,

When you've had a listen please report back.

Martin
Posted on: 30 September 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Taylormade

I have not heard the new range but the old range was very good and the 5-channel amp excellent heard it a few times in demo very impressed

Neill
Posted on: 02 October 2005 by HiDefBob
When I was auditioning the Naim DVD5 at the HiFi Centre I had an opportunity to hear it with the new (very expensive) line of Classé amps and controllers along with a pair of high end B&W speakers. I did not like the sound at all ... it sounded somewhat harsh! The low end was somewhat lacking. This experience made me rethink my purchase of the Naim DVD5.

Fortunately the HiFi Centre loaned me a DVD5 for a weekend. I was blown away by the sound ... so natural ... like having the instruments in my living room. The low end capabilities of the Naim DVD5 were complemented by my Classé CAV-180 ... movies that were strong in the low end really caused my living room to shack! I really did not want to return the unit on Monday ... and could not wait to buy one!

But the same is true with music ... the sound is most definitely not thin ... it is very solid. One of the best examples is on Diana Krall's DVD-A "Love Scenes". There is one cut on that disc that opens with an acoustic bass and piano. I have never heard an acoustic bass sound so good ... it almost gives me goose bumps every time that I hear it. And the piano is so solid and the low notes so realistic ... the best piano sound that I have ever heard on my system. It reminded me of the piano sound that I heard on an all Naim system.

By the way, I have played this disc as a DVD, multichannel DVD-A (44.1Khz/24bit) and stereo DVD-A (96Khz/24bit). As a DVD it sounds very good, as a DVD-A multi it is excellent and as a DVD-A stereo outstanding.
Posted on: 03 October 2005 by Taylormade
I really am an intelligent person...really I am. Frown

I was so excited to get into home theater that I neglected to check the dimensions of the components to verify that they would fit in my cabinent. Unfortunately, the CAV-75 doesn't fit without cutting out the back. There also would not be a lot of space between the shelf and the top of the unit. How much heat does your unit put out HiDef? Considering your amp is higher wattage, perhaps it puts out more heat? The manual suggests 6" of clearance above the amp.

I would have to cut out the back for the unit to extend posteriorly. Since the front door already is vented, maybe that would provide enough ventilation. If it's ok to have a shelf about 1/2 to 1" above the amp, then perhaps I can make it work. I would have to put either the preamp, CD3 or DVD player on the shelf above it. I don't know if that would be too much heat for those components. I would probably put the DVD player above it rather than the preamp or CD3.
Posted on: 03 October 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by Taylormade:
I really am an intelligent person...really I am. Frown

I was so excited to get into home theater that I neglected to check the dimensions of the components to verify that they would fit in my cabinent. Unfortunately, the CAV-75 doesn't fit without cutting out the back. There also would not be a lot of space between the shelf and the top of the unit. How much heat does your unit put out HiDef? Considering your amp is higher wattage, perhaps it puts out more heat? The manual suggests 6" of clearance above the amp.

I would have to cut out the back for the unit to extend posteriorly. Since the front door already is vented, maybe that would provide enough ventilation. If it's ok to have a shelf about 1/2 to 1" above the amp, then perhaps I can make it work. I would have to put either the preamp, CD3 or DVD player on the shelf above it. I don't know if that would be too much heat for those components. I would probably put the DVD player above it rather than the preamp or CD3.

Personally I would not put the CAV-75 in that shelving unit. I think you are asking for problems. Amplifiers need space. Mine is sitting on a amplifier platform with nothing above it ... it still gets very warm! Follow the recommendation ... 6" of clearance!
Posted on: 04 October 2005 by Taylormade
I was afraid you were going to say that. Home Theater installers do cabinet installs for equipment like that but there's usually some form of active cooling. I really don't want to have to install active cooling.

Ah well, both the SSP-25 and CAV-75 are now on ebay. I think I'll just go with a Nait 5i and enjoy that for awhile before worrying about going with home theater again. I could always go with a small Rotel RB-956AX for center and rears when the time comes. It doesn't put out that much heat and I'd still have the Nait to power the fronts.