MOW 4/3/01 (or the struggles of Sisyphus)

Posted by: John C on 04 March 2001

Music of this week was the Dave Holland Octet live at QE Hall on Southbank. In addition to the regular quintet Canada's finest Kenny Wheeler on trumpet and flugelhorn, Antonio Hart on Alto Sax and the very fine Gary Smullyen on Baritone Sax (great sound Ive heard him before in Mingus Big Band). This is a slimmed down version of a 13 piece Big Band project that Holland has going in the States. The two Dave Holland quintet releases have had many admirers in the various recent jazz threads.
They played mainly new compositions and a few earlier Holland tunes like Conference of the Birds. The whole event was simply outsatnding and anyone with a chance to see one of the best bands in jazz should leap at the chance. Particular highlights for me where the fluid and exciting drumming of Billy Kilson and the sheer excellence of Chris Potter on tenor and soprano. Each of the musicians was outstanding and the octet hung together pretty well. One slight quibble was not enough was heard of Steve Nelson on the Vibes, what a player that guy is. Robin Eubanks was his usual titanic self and Holland himslef was superb.

Also bought some vinyl

Joe Henderson State of the tenor Vols 1,2 . I have this on CD but the vinyl beats it hand down. Great essential jazz record.

Art Pepper Landscape. I am in love with Art Pepper's music at the moment and and am in a frenzy of completist buying. Also reading his autobiography which is a great read with a somewhat American gothic feel to it.

Noticed some great records in my local shop. But 'precious things' like Tony Williams Lifetime on Blue Note vinyl were going for £20 quid. I cant pay that. Is this the going rate elsewhere?

John

Is there anyone else who is interested in MOW by the way?