Macbook vs Squeeebox as digital source for Lavry DA-10

Posted by: CharlieP on 19 August 2008

Yet another thread regarding the marvelous Lavry DA-10 DAC as music source in an otherwise Naim system.

As I promissed in a post on AllenB's thread, In the mix: Mac Mini / Lavry DA-10 / n-Vi, I would report my experiences borrowing my daughter's Macbook. I thought best to create this new thread.

See my earlier posts regarding my saga to find a music server which would equal or exceed a CDX+XPS. That CD player is now long gone and I am very satisfied with my current system, which for almost a year now has been as follows:

HP desktop running Windows Vista 64bit
Squeezecenter V7.1 music server
Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV files on hard drive
wired LAN through Linksys router to Squeezebox SB3 (including Bolder mods and linear supply)
DC-1 coax cable to Lavry DA-10
NAC282+ serviced olive Hicap
NAP200
NACA5 to CP Audio speakers
carefully and subtly integrated subwoofer (which is defeatable by remote)

There has been much recent discussion and enthusiastic praise (understatement) regarding the Lavry fed by Mac optical Toslink. I was wondering how my SB3 system would compare to an Apple Mac system. Then it dawned on me - I have just purchased a Macbook for my daughter and I have a nice white apple Toslink cable. Sooooo...

The Lavry has both coax and Toslink (optical) inputs, selected by a switch on the front panel. I can easily switch between the above-described system and the following:

(same music files as above)
HP desktop, Windows Vista 64
Apple Lossless files on hard drive
iTunes V7.7 sharing my music library
wirless lan (also see note below, as I copied a file to the Macbook for comparison)
Apple Macbook, OS-X 10.5.4 (battery power, then plugged in - no difference)
output default: 44.1K at 24bit, all digital processing disabled.
(see note below, as I played with sample rates and bit depth)
iTunes V7.7.1
Apple optical cable to Lavry DA-10
(remaining system as above)

The short version: they are very close, sometimes indistinguishable.

The long version:

I hesitate to draws sweeping conclusions, as I prefer to involve other's opinions as well as my own, but the following were my impressions after listing to a vatiety of music. I switched between soures using the same piece of music, at shorter or longer intervals, and also just played an entire piece at a time (with file being accessed by only on process - this does not seem to matter?). Mostly he music sounded so good, I just could not get into any "analytical listening mode."

At first, I thought the Mac source sounded a tiny bit smoother (as in less digital) than my SB3 - but mind you, very very close. I was listening to "Quiet Rising" by Carlos Franzeti on Jazz Kamerati, swithing back and forth every minute or so. But then at one point, I remarked to myself "that sounds SO organic!" - I went to switch back to the SB3 but found I was listening to the SB3 and had forgotten which source was playing.

I tried changing output sample rates on the Macbook. This hardly made a difference, but I preferred 44.1K over 96K, which somehow did not sound quite right (hard to describe, and maybe my imagination). I felt maybe the 24 bit sounded nicer (a tiny bit less digital) than 16 bit. So mostly I left the Mac at 24bit 44.1K.

Just to eliminate the network, I copied the file (Carlos Franzeti) to the Mac. I could not tell any difference, when compared to the same music file being "shared" over the wireless lan.

Some of the possible difference (if any) I thought I (maybe) heard between the SB3 and the Mac was similar to what I (maybe) heard between 24bit and 16bit out of the MAC. I am going to see if my ripped fies can be sent to the SB3 as 24 bit, as that might be a good idea. Does any one know about this? I may be deluding myself, but i thought i would rank the sound quality as follows - with tiny differences (if any), best on top:

Mac 24 bit
SB3
Mac 16 bit

OK, there you have it. I do not consider this conclusive, and may have more time to make further comparisons as my daughter allows me to use her laptop. I would love to hear from others who can make a similar comparison. Also if anyone in the Seattle area would like to drop by for a listen, that would be great.

If you are planning to sell your CD player (quick while you still can!) to fund a music server source of absolutely top sound quality, I recommend you go the Mac route and add a an iTouch for remote control. As for me, I have no desire to change from the SB3 for now. But it is great to hear that iTunes may be used in a system of this caliber. I wrote off iTunes before because I did not want a computer in my rack and I did not like the sound of Airport Express; but now the rules have changed...

Happy Listening,

Charlie
Posted on: 19 August 2008 by Steve S1
Hi Charlie,

Nice write-up.

Can't comment on the SB3 because I went straight to the Mac/Lavry, which then replaced my CDS3.

I concur with your findings regarding the output settings:

96khz / 2-ch 24 bit = best for 96/24 music only.
44khz / 2-ch 24 bit = best for ripped CDs.

As long as the iTunes equalizer (found under "view") is off, and the settings under iTunes/preferences/playback - "crossfade', 'sound enhancer" and "sound check" are off - the sound quality via the DA 10 is superb.

Having the Mac directly connected via optical is better than via Airport Express. But the extent of the improvement can be location dependent. AE can still produce great results that will better most CD replay.

Best regards,

Steve
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by KTMax
Nice write-up Charlie.

I think the squeezebox sounds very good too. Stupidly good even considering its price. I've tried the SB Classic at home and I'll try the SB Duet this week. The Duet has a different DAC (Wolfson) and the trick remote with color display.

Direct A-B comparison between my CDX and the SB Classic with some quickly made WMP11 WAV lossless rips playing wireless(!) showed that that the CDX sounds clearly better. But the difference is almost painfully small when you take the cost into account.

Great fun.

Richard.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by thesherrif
I'm seriously thinking about a mac/toslnk/lavry solution but have one question.... How long can a toslink cable go before there are problems?
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by PMR
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieP:
I tried changing output sample rates on the Macbook. This hardly made a difference, but I preferred 44.1K over 96K, which somehow did not sound quite right (hard to describe, and maybe my imagination). I felt maybe the 24 bit sounded nicer (a tiny bit less digital) than 16 bit. So mostly I left the Mac at 24bit 44.1K.
Charlie
Good write-up!

When you set the MAC to 96k you are effectively up-sampling. This introduces an obvious increase in distortion with the sound being less precise, clear and coherent. It gives the impression of sounding slightly further back in the mix, and just feels incorrect, even if you cannot discern the obvious difference in an A/B.

There is some information on the Lavry website.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by CharlieP
Richard,

The analog out on the SB3 sounds good for the $300 price, but it is the digital output into a Lavry DA-10 that takes it into World-Class territory.

Charlie
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by KTMax
I guess it will Charlie.

I have something of a special SB Duet playing since a few hours. It's quite heavily modified with a better clock (lying next to it on a separate print) and a 'real' power supply instead of the 3 dollar switching thingy that comes with it. About 150 bucks worth of parts and a lot of knowledge. Sounds absolutely silly... Big Grin

With a good radio stream my NAT02 with Magnum Dynalab gets blown away completely.

Richard.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by pcstockton
I am curious why people are using the SB when you already have an external DAC???

Why not feed the DAC directly from the computer?
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by james n
quote:

Perhaps not everyone wants a computer in their lounge / music room etc ?
Hi Patrick.

Are you still visiting Seattle area? If so, and you would still like to audition the Lavry, my number is in profile.

As james n said, I did not want computer in living room. My server is in different room where it gets use beyond just a music server. I actually often control it by a laptop in web browser, but again, not with its power plugged into the wall near my system (opposite phase of "mains" supply).

Charlie
Steve,

It sounds like you achieved better results with the AE than I. I have an early version of the AE, maybe 3 yrs old. I noticed a small increase in background noise (as manifested by a decrease in transparency and stage depth) just by plugging my AE into the wall. Perhaps later versions are improved in this regard? Has anyone compared, or does Apple claim specific improvements?

Charlie
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by pylod
richard,

what kind of sb duet do you have ? you live in amsterdam. is it an usa version or bought here in europe ?

has someone done the test with the newapple AE yet ?

an general question. if i downlaod a 24/96 file. can it be played over the SB in full quality ? or will it be changed ?. what about the apple and itunes. can such hi-res files be played in full quality ?

thank you

p
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by james n
The Squeezeboxes will pass 24bit / 48khz max. The Airport express is limited to 16 / 44.1.

James
thank you james. i was afraid to read this. that means no full hi-res quality on all the opptions ?..also not on the powerbook ?

heard that i tunes canīt handle 24/96..maybe in teh future ?

regards p
The Powerbook will output 24 / 96 so it'll handle hi-res files Smile

James
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by DaveBk
Has anyone compared the analogue output from a Transporter to the DA-10? I'm still very pleased with my Transporter, but facinated to hear an objective comparison to the DA-10. The Transporter handles 24bit/96kHz of course so could feed the DA-10 with hires content...
james...

sure the powerbook will output to 24/96, but i heard that i tunes canīt handle 24/96. what kind of player are you using then. sorry for so many questions. i am slowly getting into the whole thinkWinker

thanx p
Pylod - i've not played around with 24 / 96 yet as my Lavry is still to arrive. I dont think as standard iTunes will deal with 24 /96 but i'm sure there are ways around it. Time for a google i think :-). At least its only a software limitation not hardware.

James
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by paremus
The following - computeraudiophile - computer audiophile site - may be of interest to some of you. Just found this myself.

Cheers

Richard
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by paremus:
The following - computeraudiophile - computer audiophile site may be of interest to some of you. Just found this myself.

Cheers

Interesting reading. It goes along with what Tom from Lavry said to me about really bypassing the sound card in the Mac/PC to generate the best quality playback.

Richard
Posted on: 15 September 2008 by Alco
quote:
I am curious why people are using the SB when you already have an external DAC???

Because it's not very user friendly that way.
I'd rather browse through my music collection using the SB3's remote.

quote:
Direct A-B comparison between my CDX and the SB Classic with some quickly made WMP11 WAV lossless rips playing wireless(!) showed that that the CDX sounds clearly better. But the difference is almost painfully small when you take the cost into account

That's exactly my experience and also the reason I decided to sell my CD5x.
(only bummer is that a CD5x + FC2 looks better, together with my Nait-5i, than a SB3 and my seperate CI Audio SB3-PSU)

regards,
Alco
Posted on: 16 September 2008 by Slabwax
Alco,

How does the CI Audio sb3 psu sound compared to the stock psu? Was it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks
Dean
Posted on: 16 September 2008 by aht
Richard,

Thanks for the link to the Computer Audiophile site. Evidently the author's preferred DAC is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha; I've seen raves about this elsewhere (roughly $5K USD, I believe).
Posted on: 18 September 2008 by goldfinch
quote:
Originally posted by aht:
Evidently the author's preferred DAC is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha; I've seen raves about this elsewhere (roughly $5K USD, I believe).

This brand seems to have a very limited distribution, even in USA, could you tell me where have you seen those reviews?

I also like this computer audiophile site, this is the first site I see in which an audiophile music server is really pursued.
Internet is plenty of guides to configure windows and recommend hardware for getting good sound from a PC or Mac but their focus is always very far from the audiophile perspective.

I have been investigating for some time on this topic and I would highlight some points of the article which are related with some topics discussed in this forum,

1. Author suggest a Windows XP PC is slightly better than a Mac for sound quality!
2. This is the first time I see somebody recommending other software than Foobar.
3. This is also the first time I see somebody recommends other driver than ASIO.
4. The hardware recommendations didnīt surprise me, Lynx are really a reference among musicians, but it is curious author's recommendation for an specific model.

Anyway I think this is a serious try, he claims he has tried lots of gear and that configuration is the best possible sounding music server (to his ears, of course).

The cost is up to the objective and I wonder how this reference system would perform against a MacLavry or my M-audio/Lavry server. If we believe a MacLavry is comparable to a CDS3, how much good can be the authorīs reference system?
Posted on: 19 September 2008 by aht
Well, to backtrack a bit, I'm not sure I've seen a real review of the Berkeley Audio Design DAC. It's highly recommended by Goodwin's, a reputable dealer in Massachusetts, and there are positive comments in a Stereophile CES report. The company was started by the Pacific Microsonics crowd, who invented HDCD.