saddam found

Posted by: AL4N on 14 December 2003

feckin' good if you ask me
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Geoff P
Full agreement
BUT
Will it make any difference to the guerilla war that is going on?
Informed opinion seems to think not
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by AL4N
you have to hope so,but he still will have follower's who will carry on his evil work
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by JeremyD
Those who accused Blair and Bush of inventing him to justify the war must be feeling pretty sheepish, huh?

Oops sorry - meant to post that in a parallel universe...
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by ErikL
I wonder how Saddam's family member will spend the $25 million awarded by the US government for leading to his capture? C4? AK-47's?

Assuming the news is factual, I'm happy for the Iraqis.

[This message was edited by Ludwig on MONDAY 15 December 2003 at 00:01.]
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by ErikL
In a special edition WSJ story discussing POW status versus a "special" tribunal, etc, etc, I found this to be humorous:

"There may be concern about how much public access Mr. Hussein should be given. He was once a U.S. ally, during the Iraqi war with Iran, and he could potentially provide embarrassing information about how past U.S. governments cooperated with his regime even as it was carrying out the crimes that will be on trial."
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Justin
My guess is that the resistance fight will not diminish simply because of the capture. BUT, I also think that Saddam had contacts with these fighters, and that names (even in written form) will be found which will have enormous intelligence value. That may strengthen coalition forces in this regard. It will depend on how much he knows and how much he talks. I'm guessing since he's in line for a box sans headhead in either case, he's going to be rather quiet.

I'm convinced it would have been preferable to have not taken him alive. He did not fight on prupose. Likewise, putting Bin Laden on trial in the US (or elsewhere other than a "quick justice" sort of jurisdiction) will result in a public relations nightmare. Judd.
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Steve Toy
I don't believe in the death penalty not even for evil Saddam. It would be most useful to keep him alive and exile him somewhere obscure as we did with Napoléon. The more he talks the better his life will be in exile.

I'm in a pragmatic mood.

Then there is the issue of all those Shi'ites baying for his blood; not a good idea to kill him really, is it?

Retribution is allowing one's heart to rule one's head.

Regards,

Steve.
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
The American announcement 'We got him' reminded me of the Belgrano sinking and 'Gotcha' in The Sun. Badly done guys.

I cannot imagine how he might be tried anywhere 'fairly' to be honest and I think his 'disposal' will be a major headache.

We could of course trust the US to handle his interrogation and trial with the same transparency and fairness they are using to deal with the prisoners in Guantanamo.

Bruce
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Mick P
He was a vicious thug who caused the death of thousands of inocent people. We should let the Iraqui's try him and accept whatever sentence they pass.

He is now their responsiblity, not ours.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
So to whom would you hand Saddam over? They have no legal system or administration. Just release him in the centre of Baghdad with a big sign saying 'come and get him'?

Bruce
He is now nothing to do with us, he is their problem not ours. We have no right to tell them what to do with him.

Regards

Mick
I take your point Mick. By the same token should we now just leave Iraq, pull out all the troops (and construction workers)?

Bruce
There is a major difference between helping them to reconstruct their economy and telling them how to run the judicial system.

You have to give them the freedom to determine their own future and Saddam's trial is the first step.

Regards

Mick
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by JohanR
quote:
It would be most useful to keep him alive and exile him somewhere obscure as we did with Napoléon.

Hmm... Didn't he come back?

JohanR
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Rasher
It might be useful to have Saddam alive in the future for whatever reason. We still have Bin Laden to get. Not sure how it may work, but to kill him now may turn out to be pissing on our chips.
Is there a chance that Bush may now win the Pres elecs? Eek
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Geoff P
The even worse thought is that Tony will!

This morning I see they discussed the crimes Saddam could be charged with which came down to three which included
genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes.They all carry the death penalty in Iraq. It's going to be difficult for them to give him clemency but they recognise the problem of the "matyr effect" so this is going to be something nobody wants to be involved with

geoff
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by matthewr
Or perhaps with Rummy who has had more practice at this sort of thing

Matthew
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Roy T
If people start to crow too much about capturing MrS then it may start to look like the main reason for this expedition was that of regime change and we all know that is not the case. If external powers can bring about a regime change in one country in the area then a good few rulers must now be wondering who will be next and what will it take to trigger the next regime change?

Roy
quote:
then it may start to look like the main reason for this expedition was that of regime change and we all know that is not the case

I assume this is ironic?

Bruce
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Rockingdoc
It was me. I found him. I despaired of finding the money to replace my olive-front Naim gear so became a mercenary. I now have 25 million to spend on a new Hi-Fi, any suggestions?
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Derek Wright
Hey Rockingd - welcome back

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Matthew T
Rockingdoc,

If you give $1mill I will vouch for your claim.

Matthew
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Tarquin Maynard - Portly
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Woodhouse:
The American announcement 'We got him' reminded me of the Belgrano sinking and 'Gotcha' in The Sun. Badly done guys.
Bruce

I disagree.

The Belgrano was sunk with the loss of ?250 lives. Saddam was caught without a shot being fired.

Well done the Yanks.

Regards

Mike

On the Yellow Brick Road and happy
Saddam was caught without a shot fired???!!!

Didn't they just have a war in which thousands of people have died?

It was the gloating style of the anouncement I disliked (complete with smirk). I'm glad he has been captured and I have no doubt that good solid careful work went into tracking him down, well done indeed.

Sorry I am getting increasingly miserable and argumentative about this entire debacle-and have almost no positive suggestions for getting us (and the Iraqis) out of the mire.

Bruce
Chaps

Some of you lot get depressed over nothing.

A tyrant has been deposed and will probably be soon pushing up daisies, the oil supply is now guaranted and all you do is bloody moan.

Bush and Blair have done well and despite you bunch of whingers, they will both get re elected.

If that upsets you.......Tough.

You have flogged this subject to death, surely you can think of something new to whinge about.

Regards

Mick