Really skinny center channel

Posted by: Cjones on 31 May 2005

With the current config, I need a really skinny center channel speaker. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Posted on: 31 May 2005 by Stuart M
I use 2 naim IBLs
Posted on: 01 June 2005 by Frank Abela
The centre speaker is the most important speaker in a HT system. It focusses dialogue and reproduces more of the most important parts of the movie than the other speakers. The correct speaker to use would be the Joseph Audio Cinergy 5.1 centre. It's timbre-matched to blend with your Joseph speakers and this will enable you to create a believable soundstage, which is the whole point of surround sound really...

That said, if you don't have the space for it, you'll need to find something smaller (the Joseph isn't small). The only way to see if your choice fits in your system correctly is to try it in the context of your system. A wide but low and shallow speaker would be the Totem Dreamcatcher centre. If you need something really small, then you're more likely looking at a bandwidth limited design such as a satellite expected to be found in a sub/sat system. M&K make superb satellites. Have a look at the tiny Xenon LCR35. Lots of quality there provided you set the sub appropriately (120hz). M&K also make the K-17 which needs the sub set to between 80 and 100hz. Not setting the sub correctly will give you a very strange effect.
Posted on: 01 June 2005 by Matt F
You could also try an Anthony Gallo A'Diva - spherical speaker with about a 4" diameter I believe. Good quality though and a fair few dealers stock them now. They also make a smaller Micro version but the A'Diva is probably a better bet for central duties.

Both are available as single units and in a variety of finishes.

The Micro needs a 120Hz crossover, the A'Diva would probably be okay at 80Hz but it's best to experiment.

Matt.
Posted on: 02 June 2005 by Cjones
Wow, thanks for the good advice. It needs to be about 4 inch's tall. Its somewhat of a longer term temporary fix.

I am recently engaged and the fiancé will be moving in. I rearranged the furniture and bought a plasma (got it in under the wire..) While I have the wall mounting gear, I didn't want to use it as I suspect I will be moving in a year or so. So, I need a temporary solution for the the time being. I was looking at the Totem, and think that might be the way to go. Piega also has one but WOW, its big bucks. I know that I really should stick with Joseph, but its just so bloody big.

Thanks

Chris