A Good ADSL Modem To Use With An Airport Extreme?

Posted by: Jack Barron on 12 December 2008

Dan has recommended using a Draytek Vigor 100 modem with an Airport Extreme.

Does anybody have any other modem suggestions?

The easier it is to set up the better.

It will be in a Mac system which also includes a Logitech Duet, a Beresford DAC, the Nait 5, a Flatcap 2X and a Naim CD5.

The only other thing I am thinking about adding, prior to perhaps upgrading to a Supernait next year, is a power supply from some gent in Chesterfield.

... Unless, of course, Naim bring out a standalone DAC.

If they ever do that I will ditch the integrated, sell the Beresford, and get separate Naim pre and power amps.

Yeah I could live with that.

Jack
Posted on: 12 December 2008 by garyi
Draytek all the way, its flawless both wih an extreme and on its own.

Its easy to set up but has many complex features for when you do want them.

I have used Netgear with an extreme ok as well, but d-link simply would not work.

Spend the extra and get draytek. They sell second hand on ebay for good money.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by Huwge
Another vote for Draytek
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by Jack Barron
Thanks very much both of you.

A Draytek is obviously the one to go for.

Jack
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by garyi
A draytek vigor 2600 is a good bet for the price on ebay
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by DaveBk
I use the Draytek Vigor 2600 - absolutely flawless performance for over a year. My previous Netgear unit kept losing the connection.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by Roy Donaldson
Hi there,

I'd recommend picking up a Netgear DGN2000. Nice little router, been very stable and has clocked my line at just under the full 8Mbps.

Also, does 802.11n on the 2.4Ghz band and I get 130Mbps to my iMac and MacMini now.

I think I picked mine up for £55ish.

The Draytek stuff is ok, but perhaps a bit more than you need for home. And, it'll only get you 54Mbps max.

Roy.
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by garyi
No house in the uk is currently enjoying 54mbps into house so for the purpose of shunting 8megs the draytek is perfect.

The simple fact is for 20-40 quid second hand you will get a unit that in my experience does not fail unless there is a power cut. More than can be said for netgear or d-link in my experience.
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by Roy Donaldson
I've found the Netgear stuff to be perfectly reliable and if you buy a new unit, then you have a years warranty and any tech support with it also.

Of course you're not going to get more than 8Mbps into your home on DSL, but if you want to download, web browse, work on VPN and stream audio internally, the additional head room that 802.11n provides is worth the additional 20-30quid.

If you're using an Airport or Mac of any sort then they have 802.11n inbuilt as standard.

Roy.
Posted on: 14 December 2008 by garyi
Roy you need to read what the OP has written. He has an airport extreme. Wireless N and gigabit ethernet. All he wants is a modem to feed internet into his house. Any ADSL modem will achieve this, however a draytek will do it all day every day without a hicup.
Posted on: 15 December 2008 by bazz
I've got a drawer full of ADSL modem/routers, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, Netcomm, Billion, all rubbish. Been using a Draytek 2700 for about six months now, completely flawless and 100% reliable, well worth a few extra bucks.