Pop ups - how to stop them?

Posted by: HTK on 12 December 2003

Sorry if this has been covered before - this forum isn't the easiest place to search.

Anyone got any tips in zapping those bloody irritating instant message like pop ups? I seem to be getting about 50 a day and any wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Harry
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Sean Woods
Hello HTK

Download Opera browser from this web address there is an option to disable pop ups and is much faster then using Internet explorer.

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.php?id=62305&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.demon.co.uk%2Fpub%2Fsimtelnet%2Fwin95%2Fwebbrows%2Fow32enen723j.exe&mirrorsite=UK%2C%20London&x=0&SiteID=simtel.net

Sean

Smile
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by greeny
Or mozilla, where you can block popups per site, which is useful as some site depend on popups for working correctly and you might suddenly find some sites bot working if you do a blanket block.
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Roy T
The Adbloc extention coupled with the builtin popup blocker of the Mozilla Firebird browser do a good job of controling unwanted popups and adverts but excersise some caution as to what you block, as grenny says "you might suddenly find some sites bot working if you do a blanket block".

Roy
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by TomK
The latest Google toolbar works well for me. Very easy to enable pop-ups when you need to as well.
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by HTK
Thanks chaps for your quick responses. These pop ups are the ones headed "Messenger Service" with an OK button. They seem to get through even if I don't have a browser running, although the fact I have IE6 set as the default browser might have something to do with it. I will investigate.

Thanks again.

Harry
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by throbnorth
Harry, - if these Messenger Service popups are benign [some worms & trojans announce their presence like this], turnining on the XP firewall stops them [right click your internet connection in Network Connections, & the firewall is on the Advanced tab]. A quick download of ZoneAlarm is probably a good idea [www.zonelabs.com] while you're at it.

throb
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Arun Mehan
Harry,

Another program I like is Free Surfer, mkII and Companion versions. The former is the free version and takes up approx. 15 MB of RAM whereas the latter is the commercial version and only takes up 5 MB. I keep mine in "natural" mode which gets most of the pop-ups, but there is a "strict" mode that gets EVERYTHING. Quite good.

Sorry I don't have a URL for you, but you can type it in to your fav search engine and it will be there. Hope that helps -- I hate pop-ups.
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Roy T
Harry,
from what you have described I think this How to Disable Windows Messenger Service may be the cure to your problem. Have a look and see what you think.
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by HTK
5^ Roy. That's exactly what I needed.

Well done that man and thank you all for your time and help.

Cheers

Harry
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by andy c
I use 'popup killer'. Its really good apart from I have to disable it when replying to these bloody threads!.
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Steve Toy
I use Zone Alarm to disable a program called "Save."

The Popup still appears but its content is blank.

Regards,

Steve.