Games console

Posted by: RoyleBlue on 02 November 2003

XBox or Gamecube? - kids already have PS2 upstairs and I have fully specc'd PC.
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by garyi
I thought game cube had basically lost the fight?

You can get them in watford with 4 games for £130 so thats not bad I suppose.
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by Mekon
Whichever one has the games you want to play is the simple answer. Personally, I would go for the Gamecube, but I still miss my N64.

Even if the GC isn't as successful, what does that matter? I got alot more enjoyment out of my Dreamcast than I have out of my PS2.
Posted on: 02 November 2003 by garyi
I still hanker after Mariokart on the super nintendo, the N64 version was crap in comparison.

Luckily I can get it under emulation on the mac, but its not the same when you arn't using the tele.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Simon Perry
I went for the Gamecube rather than the xbox. Now that Halo is available on the PC there isn't much reason to buy an xbox. The Gamecube games can be very different in style and look to PC based games, and many are really great. Zelda is marvellous.
Simon
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Arun Mehan
Blueman, the kids already have a PS2 and you want to buy them another gaming console??? Damn, you're going to spoil 'em! So what you say? Alright then, get them an XBOX. The Gamecube is not a bad choice but the XBOX has the ability for more upgrades. Also it seems as if more developing occurs for the XBOX and PS2 although the PS2 is still the king of the software. Nobody thought that Sony could de-throne the previous king (Nintendo) but it happened.

BTW, do you have the online playing option for the PS2? That would be my first recommendation.

Mekon, I have a great N64 emulator for the PC and 30 roms. Let me know if you want more info. Dreamcast eh? Never was too impressed myself although I loved the Genesis.

Garyi, even the Macs can be upgradedWink Get yourself an ATI card with S-video output and enjoy the emulator on your TV. Just like old times Smile
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Mekon
Ah Mario Kart on the SNES, a perfect game. We used do time trials on ghost valley for days on end.

The Dreamcast was great. The online play with F355 was brilliant fun, like simultaneous autocrossing. Until I got into GPL on the PC, it was my favourite driving game (even ahead of Gran Turismo). Sadly I don't have time to play GPL anymore, and my PC is too weedy for modern games. I figure I will get into GT4 in a big way if the network play lives up to the hype.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by dave brubeck
Super Mario Kart on the SNES is the best game ever produced, a close second is 'Light Cycle' for the ZX Spectrum.

Buy a SNES.
Posted on: 03 November 2003 by Willito
I went for the Game Cube over the X-Box last year. The GC was a lot cheaper than the X-Box at the time, and I figured that by the time the games came along that could truly take advantage of the X-Box's processing power, we would probably be on another generation of Nintendo console.

The software selection is pretty good, but nowhere near PS2. It is isn't solely cute Nintendo critters either. But let's be honest, the bespoke Nintendo game are less and less of a consideration these days. In reality most of the big name games are available across platforms (check out the new Tiger Woods golf from EA, it's truly amazing!) so there isn't much of a strategic question of buying into a particular franchise imho. There are definitely bettter kids games on the GC (my girlfriend has a 7 year old son, so kid-friendliness was a factor for me) though.

As for WAF, it's hard to beat the GC's delicate dimensions! I think the X-Box works in a large North American living room where its basic brutality can be easily hidden. That is something not as readily achieved in my humble Islington home.